User Tag List

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Please understand the previous responses (and this one) to your situation are not argumentative in nature--we don't "do that" on this forum.

But there's no magic here.

Let's start by conceding that your refrigerator runs when you turn on your batteries.

Given that point, your trailer has an aftermarket inverter installed. There's no other option. Without propane your refrigerator will not run without 120vAC.

According to the Grand Design parts website your 2015 Momentum 380 did not come from the factory with an inverter. It was not an option if the parts page is correct. (An inverter changes 12vDC to 120vAC.) What your trailer came with from the factory with is a 75 amp converter. (A converter changes 120vAC to 12vDC to charge the battery and run the 12vDC systems on your trailer.)

So the conclusion is the first owner of your trailer installed an inverter. Whomever sold the trailer to you failed to inform you (maybe they didn't know). If you start with the wires coming off your batteries and follow them you'll find the inverter installed somewhere close.

Your hot water heater is also powered by 120vAC or propane. That is a fact. The propane is off, so the heater is being powered from an inverter. Not typical to say the least.

Attachment 19664

https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-5248.../dp/B06Y1BNKDD

Finally, are the exact model number of the batteries installed visible? Maybe the original owner installed monster-capacity 12V batteries. That would explain how they are lasting so long.
    No, they don't last for nothin thats the problem lol. Which maybe now this makes sense. Seems I get a few hours out of them. Without having to fire the generator and pump them up. I just thought they were bad and stored improperly. But the parasitic drain from the things you guys have told me about matches up with my storage issue. And the fridge running on them makes sense on how long they last. They are typical green deep cycle marine rv interstates. But as long as something is charging them i get cold beer and hot showers.
    I'm going to go with a pair of L16 and maybe I'll start running the fridge on selected LP to help the strain on the batteries though.

I dont see the guy doing any aftermarket mods to this thing. I still have his number. Cool guy. Lives in granite bay. This was more of a tool than a hobby for him. He was a corporate pilot (private jets) and would pull it out of storage in Texas when he was there. It didnt get pulled or used much at all. I dont think he ever even dry camped with it. So him installing an inverter wouldnt make sense.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by the.jmo; 04-28-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, you have to have an inverter. While it's possible to have a fridge that can work on 12 volt, there is no water heater that can work on 12 volt.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used to travel with gas on but now we shut it off.

Freeze a couple of 1 gallon drinking water bottles a day or two before leaving, one goes in the fridge, one goes in the freezer during travel. Keeps everything cold and then we always have ice-water while camping.

Rarely have anything in the freezer on the way home so we just take the one out of the freezer and put it in the fridge for the drive home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the.jmo View Post
    No, they don't last for nothin thats the problem lol. Which maybe now this makes sense. Seems I get a few hours out of them. Without having to fire the generator and pump them up. I just thought they were bad and stored improperly. But the parasitic drain from the things you guys have told me about matches up with my storage issue. And the fridge running on them makes sense on how long they last. They are typical green deep cycle marine rv interstates. But as long as something is charging them i get cold beer and hot showers.
    I'm going to go with a pair of L16 and maybe I'll start running the fridge on selected LP to help the strain on the batteries though.

I dont see the guy doing any aftermarket mods to this thing. I still have his number. Cool guy. Lives in granite bay. This was more of a tool than a hobby for him. He was a corporate pilot (private jets) and would pull it out of storage in Texas when he was there. It didnt get pulled or used much at all. I dont think he ever even dry camped with it. So him installing an inverter wouldnt make sense.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I just got caught up on this thread and I can't wait to know the outcome!

I hope no one is getting upset about the discussion. I just want to know what is going on with that Momentum so I can duplicate it in my Reflection!
    Dave & Becky
    Always camping with the K9s. The boys are grown and rarely join us anymore.
    Colorado Springs, CO
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS
    2012 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB 6.7L PSD
    (now retired) Mildly massaged 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L PSD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a moment on G 25 when I’m on board generator what about if you run the onboard generator and fridge and hot water tank on electric wire going down the road reefer trailers do it all the time

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done alot of towing, always on propane. Have to shut off for ferrys. I don't see any risk but would be sure of law in state where traveling. Bonar, Dallas

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've towed with the fridge on propane for years, never a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BHS311 - 36' My control panel requires DC and the fridge needs AC or propane. It automatically switches with to the appropriate energy source if the control panel is set up properly. I have been running on propane while traveling, but I read recently it is a good practice to turn off and shut down the propane while traveling in case of an accident and liting off the propane within the system. I'm rethinking traveling with the fridge using propane.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pre-chill

Quote Originally Posted by PAPAJOJO View Post
    First pull this weekend in our new Imagine 24 BH. What do most people do to keep the fridge cool while traveling down the road? Will the electric off the battery be sufficient or have to use gas?
    The day before we go somewhere, we turn the fridge on. It takes a day to get cold. All the food you'll be putting in should be refrigerated or frozen. Once it's all loaded, we turn off the fridge and go. It all stays cold many hours while we travelling, especially if some of the food was frozen (eg milk, lunch meat, etc.). I'm too paranoid to run with the gas on. Even though I'm sure the odds are very small, I'd hate to have a blow out or accident become an explosive situation, pun intended.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithE View Post
    The day before we go somewhere, we turn the fridge on. It takes a day to get cold. All the food you'll be putting in should be refrigerated or frozen. Once it's all loaded, we turn off the fridge and go. It all stays cold many hours while we travelling, especially if some of the food was frozen (eg milk, lunch meat, etc.). I'm too paranoid to run with the gas on. Even though I'm sure the odds are very small, I'd hate to have a blow out or accident become an explosive situation, pun intended.
    KeithE--you and I are of the same mind when it comes to using propane while traveling. I state that without judging those that choose to use it.

Unfortunately your work-around may actually be a higher risk to you and your family than using propane. Please read this post by @TucsonJim and decide for yourself what to do. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ment-(Norcold)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast