User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking to replace our tires

we are looking to replace our tires, for our 5er reflection 337. My husband went to the tire shop and they recommended Hercules ST235/80R16/14, has anyone put Hercules ST's on their trailer?? are they any good? I see they are made in China. Not crazy about that at all!! We definitely want G rated tires but also what a tire that doesn't add to the bumpy ride on the roads.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When talking to a local tire shop (they do a lot of heavy equipment) and i told them the same thing....was leaning to the GY Endurance.....he said to take a look at the Hercules H-901 series......that does look like a beafy tire.....

I way just over 13K and have been on the fence myself with the Saluins vs the Endurance......Let me know how you go.....
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you go with a G-rated tire on a 337, keep in mind that you don't want to run the new tires at the 120 PSI indicated on the sidewalls. You should find an inflation table and inflate according to your actual individual wheel weights. We are at 13,990 gross on the scales and an average of 2.775 on each trailer wheel. We run our Sailun Gs at 100 PSI. Inflating to 120 PSI will cause a rough ride and over-inflation wear (wear in the center of the tire and not evenly across).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hercules tires may be okay, however their dealer base is not that good. I prefer to purchase tires that I can obtain a replacement tire easily if there is any problem. That means Goodyear, Michelin or Bridgestone for me.

I replaced my Westlakes on day one with Bridgestone Duravis R250's ordered through Costco. The tires were built in Lavergne, Tennessee and were fresh out of their warehouse. You wouldn't believe the difference between the Duravis tires and the Westlakes--with the tire being 10+ pounds heavier with much thicker sidewalls. The Costco manager said he usually sells them for utility companies and construction companies to use on their crane and service trucks. And he's never had a comeback. I think mine ran around $200 each.

Michelin makes a comparable ribbed tire priced slightly higher than the Bridgestones , and of course there's always the fine Goodyear G614's that are the standard of the industry but much more expensive.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    When talking to a local tire shop (they do a lot of heavy equipment) and i told them the same thing....was leaning to the GY Endurance.....he said to take a look at the Hercules H-901 series......that does look like a beafy tire.....

I way just over 13K and have been on the fence myself with the Saluins vs the Endurance......Let me know how you go.....
    Thanks for the input. My husband decided on the Hercules. We'll see how they do and I will let you know what we think of them after our next trip.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    When you go with a G-rated tire on a 337, keep in mind that you don't want to run the new tires at the 120 PSI indicated on the sidewalls. You should find an inflation table and inflate according to your actual individual wheel weights. We are at 13,990 gross on the scales and an average of 2.775 on each trailer wheel. We run our Sailun Gs at 100 PSI. Inflating to 120 PSI will cause a rough ride and over-inflation wear (wear in the center of the tire and not evenly across).

Rob
    Hey Rob, a question for you. I have Sailuns on my 303 which is lighter yet. But when I look at the weight chart I got from Sailun, I am nowhere near 100 psi like you are. According to what I have, for my ST235/80R16 I should be running about 50 minimum, but I normally go to 65-70. I am close to 2700lbs per tire on the heavy side. So I was wondering if you have a different size tire, or just in general how you picked 100 psi. I want to make sure I am not missing something and hurting my tires.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John303 View Post
    Hey Rob, a question for you. I have Sailuns on my 303 which is lighter yet. But when I look at the weight chart I got from Sailun, I am nowhere near 100 psi like you are. According to what I have, for my ST235/80R16 I should be running about 50 minimum, but I normally go to 65-70. I am close to 2700lbs per tire on the heavy side. So I was wondering if you have a different size tire, or just in general how you picked 100 psi. I want to make sure I am not missing something and hurting my tires.
    That's a tough one. I'm running 100 PSI because that's what the guys at the commercial trailer placed where the tires were installed said to run. They're probably slightly over-inflated, but the wear is fairly even and OK. (They are the Sailun S637 ST285/80R16 Load Range G.) I think the danger would be in going below the minimum inflation pressure stated on the chart for your tire. Below that minimum inflation pressure, the sidewalls wouldn't get the support they need and might overheat leading to failure. As long as you're above that minimum pressure on the chart and your wear is OK, I'd say you're "good to go." If you have an infrared thermometer, you might check the tire temps on a hot day after a pull. But, 2,700 lbs. per tire on a 303?... what do you have loaded in that thing, gold bullion?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what I did, but my previous reply never made it. I have so much weight because the IS added about 600lbs total, and I went from Westlake 15" wheels and tires to Sailun 16" wheels and tires. Those Sailuns are beefy! Not sure if the disk brakes added anything. But that weight is on the heavy side. My 303 is 400 lbs/tire heavy on the street side. Oh, that was fully loaded with a full tank of water too. Those weights were calculated from a CAT scale, and using a previous wheel position weigh. I need to get to a rally to do another wheel position weigh.

Having said that, I am not too worried about the additional weight because it is all on the suspension itself, nothing in the RV (except the hydraulic unit which does not add much). So no added stress on the frame, in fact less stress because the suspension is doing a better job.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @John303 . . . I was wondering the same thing as Second Chance Rob about the 2700 lbs per tire!

The 800 lb side-to-side weight difference is inherent to the 303 layout regardless of suspension and tires (which are the same on both sides). No doubt that the MORryde IS can control the additional unsprung weight of the Sailuns but most of the additional IS weight is added to the sprung weight of the trailer.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I was thinking that the extra weight is not really "cargo" weight, it is all in the subframe/"axle" Morryde fabricates that the RV then sits on; plus the tires. Point being that is why the weight on the tires seems high. They made a point to stress that did not increase the official GVWR of the trailer, but from a common sense perspective the extra weight should not affect the RV's frame, so I think mentally adding 600lbs, and a little more for the tires would be safe when weighing for cargo.

Or did I miss something in my thinking?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast