User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Towing an Imagine 2670MK - handling issues

Concerned over handling of my combo - but I'm inexperienced as to what "good" travel trailer towing should be like. Posted over at rv.net, also - but I'd like feedback from similar sized GD owners, too!

Problem: Occasional small sway (measured in a couple of inches each way, but can be felt and visible in the mirrors), that goes away when I slightly reduce speed. Some "suck" by semi's passing. Wind gusts (15-25 mph) require constant two handed steering. 60 mph in the wind was top speed, before I started gripping the wheel harder, or backed off due to the rare small sway events.

Prior towing: 20ft boat, Jayco 30 ft. fifth with this truck. Both of which were solid when being towed.

Truck: F-150, SCrew, Eco, Max Tow, HD Payload, LT "E" tires.
    Travel Trailer: Grand Design Imagine 2670MK, 32ft.
    Hitch: Andersen "No Sway" WDH

Loaded trailer weights: 7,640, 805 tongue with 15 gal water. Tank is midway between tongue and TT wheels.
    On return trip, I filled tank completely (30 gal more), so guessing TT was at 7,895 and 930 tongue. Only slightly better.

In the first instance, was able to crank the Andersens to a point where front fenders of truck were back to unloaded height. On second, was able to get them a bit over 50%, which is Ford spec for WDH.

By my math, was at 10.5% tongue originally, increased to 11.8% the second time. Not much to do to further increase the %, unless I start shopping for several big batteries.

With a payload of 2,166, and GVW of 8,200, the truck is better than some F-250's, and already has a pretty good wheelbase - so not thinking it is a truck problem.

So, opinions please - ditch the hitch, and get a ProPride? Buy more batteries for tongue weight? Both? Or suck it up and accept that this is why people say 5th's tow better than TT's?
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What do you have the rear tires on the truck inflated to? I know it may be difficult, but try to get more weight on the tongue. I'd shoot for about 1,000 pounds when you're running 7,895 pounds. That will put you around 12.6%. I personally like to run right between 12-13% to minimize sway. You might want to spring for a tongue weight scale to take the guess work out of your tongue weight. They run $160 on amazon for a 2,000 pound model.

https://www.amazon.com/Sherline-LM-2...ht+scale&psc=1

Jim

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar issue with an SOB TT. Everything was dialed in correctly. I too had some wiggle sway. It became apparent that it was the nature of the beast. Never even close to white knuckle. In my side view mirror I could see the waggle. The TT had the supposedly better Wide Trax wheel base. So much for better handling. My wife followed me one time and she said she could see the TT slightly swaying back and forth. Most of it I attribute to the almost 8' wide axle width and the narrower ruts in the freeway.
    Part of your problem may stem from the fact that it's a rear kitchen. Looking at the floor plan it looks like a good percentage of you cargo will be in the rear or at least from the axles rearward. Even with a 10% tongue weight you could still get some waggle. Your truck is plenty capable of handling the 2670MK so it has to be the way the TT is loaded.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Hensley Hitch (similar to Pro-Pride both of which were designed by Jim Hensley) on my previous 6000lb travel trailer, which I was pulling with a relatively lightweight and short wheelbase Nissan Pathfinder. Solid as a rock with only 600lbs (10%) tongue weight (measured with a Sherline scale). No sway, even when being passed by semi's. I previously had a bad experience pulling a 7000lb 27' trailer with a RAM 1500 using a Reese WDH with a friction sway bar. Lots of sway, and white knuckle experience every time a semi passed. I hated pulling that camper so much after one year I found a seasonal site at a local campground, and never pulled it again.

My far less capable Pathfinder was so solid with the Hensley in comparison that I never thought twice about towing with it. If all else fails, try Hensley or Pro-Pride. Also, when I traded my TT for a 5th wheel, Hensley bought my hitch back for 1/2 of what I paid for it. So it was not so expensive after all.
    John, Heidi and our 2 Cocker Spaniels Venus & Big Papi
    2016 Relfection 30BH 5th wheel
    2016 F350 SRW CC SB 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    Pullrite Superglide with Superrails

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the many threads that I have read on several different forums, I have never seen actual scale numbers proving that the Andersen hitch can get all of the lost weight back on the front TV axle. The geometry of the Andersen WDH just does not seem as good as a traditional WDH system. I would suggest the OP do some weigh-ins to see exactly what is going on with his weights.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    TusconJim - Rear truck tires currently at Ford spec - 60 lbs. All I can see is loading more weight up near the battery area. Maybe pull my 2 grp 31 AGM's out of my boat and strap them up front for testing purposes. Makes my back hurt just thinking about swapping them in and out! But see below....

MtnGuy - yep, I've seen the threads about Andersen too. Originally, there were dreams of bigger batteries for boondocking, and mounting the bikes on a tongue rack, so got the Andersen to avoid too much weight! But, since getting a electric bike (heavy!) the rack idea went out, and with actually using the trailer, boondocking will probably be very little, so the actual need for more batteries is less. I see a lot of guys thinking that weight measurement is the way to go, but Ford only recommends checking front fender rise. In any event, with full water I'm pretty much maxed out with the Andersen, so any additional weight won't get distributed - which means a new hitch.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have more air in the load range e tires on the rear of the truck. Are you carrying much weight in the truck bed? Are the trailer tires at sidewall PSI? Are you using the truck air bags and if so are you airing them up before setting the hitch? Not saying the pro pride wouldn't be a good thing, but I would want to get the sway under control first then upgrade the hitch.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm also curious why you're only running 60psi in an 80psi tire?

Jim

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I'm also curious why you're only running 60psi in an 80psi tire?

Jim
    60 psi is the Ford label spec translating to 4800 lb Rear GAWR. But they are E tires rated at 80 psi on the sidewall.
    The 7 lug wheels are rated at 2400 lbs, matching the label Rear GAWR. So, I don't know which part is the limiting factor.
    (I have the same truck)

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other thing you can do is use the brake controller manual switch. It applies brake just on the trailer.

I haven't had any issues towing but I have a 3/4 ton truck, but I wouldn't expect an F 150 to have many problems pulling a 2670.
    Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    53 days camping 8000 miles 2017
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    '07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LBZ 4WD

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast