User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: F150 hdpp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F150 hdpp

Currently pulling '19 303 with a 2013 f250 gasser between Okanagan and Alberta seasonally (one round trip west in spring and east in fall). F250 does fine, but I would really like to know what the 303 and an HDPP combo would be like for stability in the mountains if anyone is doing it. Not worried about the 3.5EB it's more about the braking and stability.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a crew cab, payload will be about 2500. Pretty much mathematically eliminated. About the only fiver HD has that an HDPP could handle would be the 23rls.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob and Cate have the F150 hdpp with the eco boost and tow a 303. They have been doing it since 2015 I do believe. I don't remember what their pin weight is but I do know they are within specs. They go between Canada and Florida every year and it tows fine and has held up great.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 09-24-2019 at 07:41 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Rob and Kate have the F150 hdpp with the eco boost and tow a 303. They have been doing it since 2015 I do believe. I don't remember what their pin weight is but I do know they are withen specs. They go between Canada and Florida every year and it tows fine and has held up great.
    They are likely a little out of spec. It works for them though. The math always wins. Pin weight, plus hitch, plus flesh, plus fur and snacks, has to be over 2500.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My old Jayco spec weights were gross of 9950, pin of 1285. My 2012 hdpp is 2166. Actual payload of everything put together ended up being 2000-2200, depending on the final load, liquids, etc. Assuming GD's fictional pin weight tracks with what Jayco promoted, one should be within the numbers with a 295RL or a 260RD and a new aluminum hdpp. But agreed, a 303 likely will be out of spec. So far, I haven't had much luck in finding real world numbers for what any of those models actually end up being, ready to camp.
    I tend to take the warnings about braking with a grain of salt. All trailers have brakes. And they should be sized to provide adequate braking for the trailer. So the truck only has to be able to stop itself, when at max payload. That said, with the Jayco fifth, I did a LOT of mountain driving, and had no issues. Engine braking was great, supplemented by conventional brakes. Many 6-7% grades for many, many miles. Stability also was excellent. So much so, I'm seriously looking at the potential for going back to a fifth and a newer F-150. One cannot beat the Ecoboost at altitude. So, if the numbers actually do work out for the 303, I wouldn't hesitate to reassure the OP. But I'm cautious myself, so I'd make sure the numbers actually work....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the insights so far. Bought the 303 in spring and had a great summer with it. No big issues so far other than auto level. The trailer goes to a seasonal lot in BC so the trips to and from and unloaded with one or two people in the truck, but otherwise empty and no water. I've owned short WB 150 EBs and the motor is great but only pulled 7000 pounds of horses or TT before with them. The f250 is fine with the 303 through the mountains between BC and Alberta but then it's a daily driver as well which gets old everyone has heard that story before I'm sure. The HDPPs are not hard to find in Alberta for some reason which is why I thought I'd sign up to this site and post the questions.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BC303rls View Post
    Thanks for the insights so far. Bought the 303 in spring and had a great summer with it. No big issues so far other than auto level. The trailer goes to a seasonal lot in BC so the trips to and from and unloaded with one or two people in the truck, but otherwise empty and no water. I've owned short WB 150 EBs and the motor is great but only pulled 7000 pounds of horses or TT before with them. The f250 is fine with the 303 through the mountains between BC and Alberta but then it's a daily driver as well which gets old everyone has heard that story before I'm sure. The HDPPs are not hard to find in Alberta for some reason which is why I thought I'd sign up to this site and post the questions.
    If you tow anywhere that it's windy I suggest you keep the F250. I have a max tow F150 (not HDPP but I have Supersprings, better tires and better shocks so the only thing i am missing is the heavier front springs) and a F250. I also have a 29rs and a 220rk both being fivers. I can easily tow and stop either one with either truck. Throw in some wind over 20 mph or so and the F150 gets blown all over the road and that is with either RV. I took the 29rs to Colorado and the winds in west Texas are fierce. The F250 was bought specifically for that trip. I would never try that with a F150
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @BC303rls,

I have been hauling our 303RLS back and forth from Ontario to Florida for 4 years (this will be our 5th) and have accumulated over 30,000 towing kilometres (about 20,000 miles) with our 2014 F150 HDPP Ecoboost. I have posted a lot of details and perspectives on this forum over those years. I always sign my posts, so if you search on "HDPP Rob" you will find several pages of related information.

No argument that we are towing at the limits of the ratings for the truck and if you are of the mind that you must stay below the sticker payload number rather than axle and tire ratings and GCWR . . . then this is not enough truck for a 303 loaded to GVWR.

Our truck is a 2014, which means that it is the last of the steel body F150s and weighs about 700 lbs more than an aluminum body truck. We pack lightly and don't get close to the GVWR for the trailer. With empty tanks the 303 is about 10,200 lbs. (UVW of our 2015 model is 9200 lbs) Loaded pin weight is about 2000 lbs. With the 6,000 lb truck, we are still under the GCWR of 17,300 lbs.

We have towed through some noticeable cross winds without problems. With 8000 lbs riding on the truck chassis and 8,000 lbs riding on the trailer chassis this seems to be a very "balanced" rig. Note that this would shift somewhat with a newer aluminum body truck.

It is important that your hitch position the pin weight directly over the axle. Some hitches move the pin back to gain clearance to the cab with the 6 1/2 ft box. This could create a problem. We have a manual slider hitch which tows directly over the rear axle.

Braking has never been a problem. In fact, in our first year we came down the Cumberland Gap (probably the steepest grade in the Appalachians) with 3 of the 4 trailer brakes covered in grease . . . which of course I didn't know about at the time! The Ecoboost handled most of the downhill braking. Still, disc brakes for the trailer are the best money that you can spend on safety. I installed these and I know that I can stop our rig more quickly than a one ton truck towing a 15,000 lb 5th wheel with standard electric drum brakes. Also, the discs are far less susceptible to brake fade than the electric drum brakes.

The Appalachian grades that we tow are not as severe or at as high an elevation as your situation, but by all reports the Ecoboost retains full power up to 10,000 ft elevation. This would likely be considerably better power than your current naturally aspirated gasoline engine.

As you mention, 75% to 95% of the miles on your truck will be "not towing". This is much nicer in an Ecoboost F150 than in any 3/4 ton. The ride of the HDPP version is noticeably stiffer than a regular F150, because of the heavier suspension and LT tires. The benefit of this is that it makes the HDPP the "sports car" of the trucks when not towing .

Just my experience . . .

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 09-24-2019 at 12:52 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    @BC303rls,

I have been hauling our 303RLS back and forth from Ontario to Florida for 4 years (this will be our 5th) and have accumulated over 30,000 towing kilometres (about 20,000 miles) with our 2014 F150 HDPP Ecoboost. I have posted a lot of details and perspectives on this forum over those years. I always sign my posts, so if you search on "HDPP Rob" you will find several pages of related information.

No argument that we are towing at the limits of the ratings for the truck and if you are of the mind that you must stay below the sticker payload number rather than axle and tire ratings and GCWR . . . then this is not enough truck for a 303 loaded to GVWR.

Our truck is a 2014, which means that it is the last of the steel body F150s and weighs about 700 lbs more than an aluminum body truck. We pack lightly and don't get close to the GVWR for the trailer. With empty tanks the 303 is about 10,200 lbs. (UVW of our 2015 model is 9200 lbs) Loaded pin weight is about 2000 lbs. With the 6,000 lb truck, we are still under the GCWR of 17,300 lbs.

We have towed through some noticeable cross winds without problems. With 8000 lbs riding on the truck chassis and 8,000 lbs riding on the trailer chassis this seems to be a very "balanced" rig. Note that this would shift somewhat with a newer aluminum body truck.

It is important that your hitch position the pin weight directly over the axle. Some hitches move the pin back to gain clearance to the cab with the 6 1/2 ft box. This could create a problem. We have a manual slider hitch which tows directly over the rear axle.

Braking has never been a problem. In fact, in our first year we came down the Cumberland Gap (probably the steepest grade in the Appalachians) with 3 of the 4 trailer brakes covered in grease . . . which of course I didn't know about at the time! The Ecoboost handled most of the downhill braking. Still, disc brakes for the trailer are the best money that you can spend on safety. I installed these and I know that I can stop our rig more quickly than a one ton truck towing a 15,000 lb 5th wheel with standard electric drum brakes. Also, the discs are far less susceptible to brake fade than the electric drum brakes.

The Appalachian grades that we tow are not as severe or at as high an elevation as your situation, but by all reports the Ecoboost retains full power up to 10,000 ft elevation. This would likely be considerably better power than your current naturally aspirated gasoline engine.

As you mention, 75% to 95% of the miles on your truck will be "not towing". This is much nicer in an Ecoboost F150 than in any 3/4 ton. The ride of the HDPP version is noticeably stiffer than a regular F150, because of the heavier suspension and LT tires. The benefit of this is that it makes the HDPP the "sports car" of the trucks when not towing .

Just my experience . . .

Rob
    Couple questions Rob,

One have you experienced a warped exhaust manifold on your truck? I know several that tow heavy and the manifold warped.

Second have you met or know anybody towing a fiver with the new aluminum HDPP yet? I would be very curious as to how they tow in the wind.

The problem is that if the wind is light I can tow either my 29rs or my 220rk without problems with my aluminum max tow F150 but when we start getting wind gusts from the south here in Texas I am fighting to stay on the road.

Thanks
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
    Couple questions Rob,

One have you experienced a warped exhaust manifold on your truck? I know several that tow heavy and the manifold warped.

Second have you met or know anybody towing a fiver with the new aluminum HDPP yet? I would be very curious as to how they tow in the wind.

The problem is that if the wind is light I can tow either my 29rs or my 220rk without problems with my aluminum max tow F150 but when we start getting wind gusts from the south here in Texas I am fighting to stay on the road.

Thanks
    Hi Donald . . . we haven’t traded ideas for a while!

The only reference that I can offer is a friend with another brand of 5th wheel weighing about 9000 lbs. He went from a steel body Max Tow F150 to an aluminum body HDPP and reports that towing is much more stable with the new truck. The previous truck was stock suspension and OE passenger tires. He runs the same back & forth Canada/Florida route that we do.

No engine problems so far . . . touch wood . . . almost out of extended powertrain warranty.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast