User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: F150 hdpp

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Us: 2019 F150, 2018 230RL.
    We went from Florida out through Texas into southern Colorado, Arizona and back. No problems at all. Also up to northern Kentucky, through north Georgia hills and back,
    no problems at all.
    Just my opinion and experiences. Dean
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Half Ton View Post
    In a crew cab, payload will be about 2500. Pretty much mathematically eliminated. About the only fiver HD has that an HDPP could handle would be the 23rls.
    Not quite, look at my sig below. I have a comfortable margin all around so the weight police can't pinch me! Length held me back on a 295RL, well money too
    There are other makes that have TTs in the range. I think your point is most "half ton towable" fifth wheels really aren't. The F150 HDPP is an outlier. There are no other 1/2 ton trucks that come close in payload. I bought my truck first then set out to find a fifth. Three parameters i used to narrow the choices. 1st hitch weight less than 1500#, 2nd GVWR of TT 10500#, 3rd 30'+/- length.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 09-24-2019 at 05:24 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Not quite, look at my sig below. I have a comfortable margin all around so the weight police can't pinch me! Length held me back on a 295RL, well money too
    There are other makes that have TTs in the range. I think your point is most "half ton towable" fifth wheels really aren't. The F150 HDPP is an outlier. There are no other 1/2 ton trucks that come close in payload. I bought my truck first then set out to find a fifth. Three parameters i used to narrow the choices. 1st hitch weight less than 1500#, 2nd GVWR of TT 10500#, 3rd 30'+/- length.
    Sat in a 260rd at a show the other day with my wife. Loved it. The other contender at the show was the minniwinni 25rks, sporting an empty pin of 820lbs. The reflection was only a few K more. No doubt, if I had to buy one that day, the reflection would have been it. The other contender was a Jayco 25.5 reok, but it was a no show.
    Still have not ruled out a TT though. Lots of time to sort it out.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Donald . . . we haven’t traded ideas for a while!

The only reference that I can offer is a friend with another brand of 5th wheel weighing about 9000 lbs. He went from a steel body Max Tow F150 to an aluminum body HDPP and reports that towing is much more stable with the new truck. The previous truck was stock suspension and OE passenger tires. He runs the same back & forth Canada/Florida route that we do.

No engine problems so far . . . touch wood . . . almost out of extended powertrain warranty.

Rob
    Hi Rob,

Ski Smuggs who used to be on here pulled a fiver with his F150 for about 10k miles. Right as he was trading it in, it developed an exhaust leak. I know of one other guy that towed heavy all of the time and had had his manifold replaced twice under warranty.

Do you know if your friend that had the max tow F150 had any mods to the truck? Did it have LT tires, helper springs, etc? A standard max tow comes with P metric tires unless you specify the LT tires which you could get by adding the Offroad FX4 package.

Thanks
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    Us: 2019 F150, 2018 230RL.
    We went from Florida out through Texas into southern Colorado, Arizona and back. No problems at all. Also up to northern Kentucky, through north Georgia hills and back,
    no problems at all.
    Just my opinion and experiences. Dean
    Do you have a max tow or a HDPP? Thanks

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BC303rls View Post
    Currently pulling '19 303 with a 2013 f250 gasser between Okanagan and Alberta seasonally (one round trip west in spring and east in fall). F250 does fine, but I would really like to know what the 303 and an HDPP combo would be like for stability in the mountains if anyone is doing it. Not worried about the 3.5EB it's more about the braking and stability.
    Just an FYI.....the newer F-150s have some changes from those just a few years ago that changes a number of things including the numbers. The 2019 models with the EB have a 10 spd. transmission.

Also, I read mention above about the "tow package". Ford has a couple of tow packages so you may want to search for "Ford Max Tow" pkg.

Here's a link to the new truck's specs......certainly a formidable half ton, for sure! https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/models/f150-lariat/
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    Just an FYI.....the newer F-150s have some changes from those just a few years ago that changes a number of things including the numbers. The 2019 models with the EB have a 10 spd. transmission.

Also, I read mention above about the "tow package". Ford has a couple of tow packages so you may want to search for "Ford Max Tow" pkg.

Here's a link to the new truck's specs......certainly a formidable half ton, for sure! https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/models/f150-lariat/
    The 10 speed is not new for the '19 model year. It came out in '17 with the 3.5 ecoboost. Ford throws all kind of numbers out there about how much you can tow but they forget to tell you that in most cases you will be way over payload before you get anywhere close to the numbers they list. The HDPP is a step in the right direction whereas you can up your payload to over 2000 lbs. (my current '17 F150 has a payload of 1700 lbs)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
    Do you have a max tow or a HDPP? Thanks
    we have HDPP, but not max tow. According to Ford, truck is rated to tow 11800. We usually carry a 280 pound scooter on the rack behind the trailer, which lowers the
    pin weight. This is not the factory hitch on the trailer, I bought it from etrailer and it is bolted directly to the frame.
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @johndeerefarmer
    The non-HDPP truck referenced in my earlier post was running absolutely stock suspension and P tires. I haven't done a lot of research into the Ecoboost exhaust leak problems, but it seems like it might go along with those who run "tuner" calibrations. OEM engine calibrations build in a safety margin. Most aftermarket power increase calibrations accomplish this by removing the OEM safety margin.

@BigSwick
    You can't get "HDPP" without "Max Tow" being already included. Max Tow consists of the OE trailer brake controller, the hitch receiver and maybe some additional trans cooling. HDPP adds more engine and trans cooling, a third full length spring to the rear suspension, a larger/stronger rear axle and LT tires. Also heavier front springs and different damper tuning front & rear. A quick check is axle ratio. Only HDPP has a 3.73 ratio.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @BigSwick
    You can't get "HDPP" without "Max Tow" being already included. Max Tow consists of the OE trailer brake controller, the hitch receiver and maybe some additional trans cooling. HDPP adds more engine and trans cooling, a third full length spring to the rear suspension, a larger/stronger rear axle and LT tires. Also heavier front springs and different damper tuning front & rear. A quick check is axle ratio. Only HDPP has a 3.73 ratio.
    Rob[/QUOTE]
    If you look through the F150 order guide you'll find that "max tow" is a forced option when taking HDPP. HDPP adds, beyond "max tow" heavier rated springs front and rear,LT load range C tires and special duty wheels, a thicker hence stiffer frame. The 3.73 rear end ratio only is provided although it is optional across the line. There has been discussion of the axle tubes in the 9.75 rear being heavier wall thickness. I'm not so sure about the shock tuning being different. After 1500 miles I swapped out the rear to Bilstien 5100 and at 2500 miles put 5100 struts on the front. As of 2019 HDPP is only available in the XL and XLT models with the 301a option package the highest trim level. One thing of note is the cab / bed configuration, 157" wheelbase or longer. You cannot get a supercab (extended) with HDPP. Because "max tow" is only availble with the 3.5 Eco engine HDPP has the same. The engine trans cooling is no different than any with a tow package. The cooling thing came about in 2017 when the 10 speed trans was introduced and the cooler was replaced with a coolant to oil exchanger mounted underneath and in front of the transmission. There may be a few more things, since it's been a year I'm getting fuzzy on it now. And of course the maximum rated payload increases from 2050# to 2850#.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 09-26-2019 at 03:44 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast