User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking they make you pay for mobile tech travel time, but that would be a lot cheaper than driving 300 miles (maybe twice). If I ever encounter that situation, I'd drive closer to the mobile tech if it was an issue. Please ask if a non-GD dealer would work. I'm pretty sure you would have to pay up front and then get reimbursed.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I'm pretty sure you would have to pay up front and then get reimbursed.
    Maybe. I did not get in to that with the GD guy. He did say, just take it to whoever I wanted to work on it and have them call GD.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just a shame that the trailer component industry cannot put out brake assemblies that don't cause so much trouble.

A trailer without sufficient brake capabilities can be a public hazard.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    It's just a shame that the trailer component industry cannot put out brake assemblies that don't cause so much trouble.

A trailer without sufficient brake capabilities can be a public hazard.
    they could put on disc brakes, which would be a lot less problematic. But they don't. it would cost them a couple hundred extra to do it. And that would
    definitely cut in to their year end bonuses...
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    they could put on disc brakes, which would be a lot less problematic. But they don't. it would cost them a couple hundred extra to do it. And that would
    definitely cut in to their year end bonuses...
    At least offer the option of disc brakes?
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    At least offer the option of disc brakes?
    “Factory Options” complicate the build process, adding cost and the opportunity for errors. GDRV built their business on “no options”. In the early years, each rig came in only one configuration. I realize that marketplace competition is forcing them into offering options.

If you want disc brakes (and I can’t understand why anyone wouldn’t), quality systems are available for $1500 in parts or $2000 installed. This is less than replacing the front bumper on your truck . . . which is the least damage you will do if you don’t get stopped.

In my opinion, the 1950’s technology electric drum brakes should be replaced across-the-board with current technology EoH disc brakes . . . but, this is just my perspective.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    “Factory Options” complicate the build process, adding cost and the opportunity for errors. GDRV built their business on “no options”. In the early years, each rig came in only one configuration. I realize that marketplace competition is forcing them into offering options.

Rob
    I agree, but I assume the frame comes to GD with axles already installed, and they build on top of it. The only complication would be if they forgot to use the frame with the disc brakes on it.

My trailer is 3 months old now, and for what they have spent in repairs they could have factory installed disc brakes.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, but I assume the frame comes to GD with axles already installed, and they build on top of it. The only complication would be if they forgot to use the frame with the disc brakes on it.

My trailer is 3 months old now, and for what they have spent in repairs they could have factory installed disc brakes.
    The frame arrives at the GDRV assembly plant without the suspension. The suspension and axles are added after the coroplast, to the upside down frame. The major complexity for EoH disc brakes is the hydraulic system. Bleeding this system would be a whole new adventure for the assembly plant.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, then that changes the picture. I can see the problems that could result.

Out of curiosity, after the coroplast I guess the frame is flipped and all "under the floor" components including wiring and plumbing are put in next?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, then that changes the picture. I can see the problems that could result.

Out of curiosity, after the coroplast I guess the frame is flipped and all "under the floor" components including wiring and plumbing are put in next?
    That would be correct . . .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12