User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mount Rushmore in September 2020

We are planning to visit Mount Rushmore and the Black Hills area from 9/13 – 9/26. I would like to go after the Labor Day Holiday and after schools are in session. Do you think that is too late in season to go there? Most campgrounds are open until 9/30. We are thinking about staying at Rafter J Bar Ranch.
    Also does anyone know if Custer State Parks Campgrounds have full hookup?
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be a bit on the cool side, but depending on your tolerance, you should be fine.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we were too big to get into the state park campground so don't recall if they have full hookup. If you do go into the state park come in from the south on 89. 87 from the east has the needles eye and very tight twisty road and 87 to the north has the Hood Tunnel, if I remember correctly clearance is only about 10'.

Lots to see and do there you should have a great time. I thought Bear Country would be hoaky, but I was really impressed with there display of western american animals, some I haven't seen in years.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rafter J is a great campground. If possible stretch your vacation by a couple days and hit Devils Tower.
    Jerry & Jeanine
    2016 Ram 3500 MegaCab Diesel
    2014 Reflection 293RES (sold)
    2020 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papahoosh View Post
    We are planning to visit Mount Rushmore and the Black Hills area from 9/13 – 9/26. I would like to go after the Labor Day Holiday and after schools are in session. Do you think that is too late in season to go there? Most campgrounds are open until 9/30. We are thinking about staying at Rafter J Bar Ranch.
    Also does anyone know if Custer State Parks Campgrounds have full hookup?
    Custer State Park campgrounds do not have FHU. All the sites we have stayed have 50 amp....I do not recall any with just 30amp. One thing to keep in mind is that the only dump station is just outside of the main large campground at Game Lodge.

It is not too late to camp there as the crowds thin out and temps are not much cooler than summer. You can check the various weather sites for that region to view normal day time highs and lows to ensure GTG with you all. Also, some of the tourist sites do close after Labor Day holiday as they lose the high school and college help.

We have stayed at Rafter J Bar a few times over the years and it is a top rated facility. This has been "talked" about on other threads on the forum over the years. A search on Rafter J Bar will bring up several threads.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing we found fun was Hot Springs, SD. The Mammoth pit was interesting and the hot springs swimming pool was a fun day if you like to swim. I doubt anyone would make them a go to destination but they made for a fun day trip.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely Sept is a great time to visit. This year we completed pretty much your trip with Badlands National Park, Devil's Tower thrown in. If you have time drive through Spearfish Canyon while leaves are turning color, it's beautiful. Also, at Custer State Park see if you can plan your trip's timing to include the buffalo roundup.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone.
    I reserved a site at Rafter J 9/13 – 9/27. Never been that area.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS