Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mystery Leak

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Mystery Leak

I'm looking for insight regarding the source of a significant leak in my new Imagine 2800BH. When we are set up for camp with full hook ups I get a fairly continuous drip coming off the black/grey drain pipes after they descend and become exposed below the covering on the underbelly, and before the drain valve. If the trailer has been in use for a night or two and I pull the grey water drain valve the leak increases to something between a steady stream of water pouring off the pipes to a gush pouring out of the existing holes in the underbelly covering until the tanks are drained. The water coming from the leak appears to be clean and the puddle it makes does not have an odor. It's definitely NOT black water. I can reproduce this leak every time I take may trailer out and use it, but it mysteriously vanishes when I take it in for service under the warranty. Last time the service writer pretty much told me to find it and fix it myself. My warranty runs out in a couple of months. Does anyone have experience with a similar leak or have any useful advice or insight on this problem you can share before I return once again to my very reluctant dealership for another try at getting it fixed?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    About all you can do is drop the belly and look. Not hard to do even when camping.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could possibly be a seal on the gray tank valve. The seal can be a PIA to replace but is doable. If you can get it done under warranty that would be the way to go if they can get it done in a timely manner.

I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 11-19-2019 at 08:53 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HublerFam View Post
    I'm looking for insight regarding the source of a significant leak in my new Imagine 2800BH. When we are set up for camp with full hook ups I get a fairly continuous drip coming off the black/grey drain pipes after they descend and become exposed below the covering on the underbelly, and before the drain valve. If the trailer has been in use for a night or two and I pull the grey water drain valve the leak increases to something between a steady stream of water pouring off the pipes to a gush pouring out of the existing holes in the underbelly covering until the tanks are drained. The water coming from the leak appears to be clean and the puddle it makes does not have an odor. It's definitely NOT black water. I can reproduce this leak every time I take may trailer out and use it, but it mysteriously vanishes when I take it in for service under the warranty. Last time the service writer pretty much told me to find it and fix it myself. My warranty runs out in a couple of months. Does anyone have experience with a similar leak or have any useful advice or insight on this problem you can share before I return once again to my very reluctant dealership for another try at getting it fixed?
    Welcome! Sounds like you unfortunately have an "average" dealer.

As @powerscol suggests you'll get better information from dropping one side of the chloroplast and looking above it than you will from a bunch of us armchair technicians guessing at the problem for you.

You say the leaking water is clean water... do you fill and dump your gray tank frequently? I ask because gray tanks can get pretty stinky too, unless they're frequently dumped and cleaned, but the rest of your description points to a problem with the gray tank valve as @WhittleBurner has suggested. Is there really NO discoloration or odor in the leaked water?

Asking the question, "if you have a fresh water leak then why would it accelerate when you're dumping the gray tank", has me wondering if a damaged or badly-installed fresh water line is being interfered-with by the gray tank valve mechanism. Or if fresh water is pooling on top of the chloroplast from a slow leak somewhere, and then the chloroplast is being pushed down when the valve is pulled and forcing the pool out the holes in it.

I (and probably others) could rattle on more but with 20 minutes and a strong flashlight you may be able to come back and tell US what's wrong, and more importantly let your reluctant dealer know what has to be fixed.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During our shakedown last month we discovered the same thing. Leaks between the black tank and the valve. No leaks when emptying the tanks. Got pix of the ground and a drip about to drop. With that over to the dealer we went with evidence. Waiting for parts, but as explained to me the drain lines weren't connected properly (no pipe sealant at the connections).

Safe and happy travels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PART_1572200750917_Resized_20191026_113023.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	23566
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PART_1572200750483_Resized_20191026_113819.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	23565
    Last edited by Chief T; 11-19-2019 at 12:14 PM.
    2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z71 6.2l aka "Luci"
    2020 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE aka "Desi"

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your dealer gives you no joy, you might try an independent RV repair facility. I did that when a " preferred dealer" (use that term loosely) botched a repair on my trailer. GD is good about working with other repair facilities.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC