User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with Wet Bolts Greasing

Today I went to grease up the wet bolts and out of 12 that I have I was able to squeeze in grease 8 without any problem. I then jacked up the frame to relieve pressure and was able to add grease in 2 of them.
    I was not able to add grease to wet bolt #1 no matter what I tried. Wet bolt #2 I am not sure where to Jack it up (please see photos).
    I used 2x4 stacks and a 12 ton bottle Jack.
    Any suggestion what I should try or do next?
    Paper towels left there for marking which didn't work.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191212_135634.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	23849
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's possible they were installed wrong or the internal holes are plugged. You will probably have to take them out to correct.

The internal holes should be at 3:00 or 9:00.
    Last edited by JCR GD; 12-12-2019 at 03:00 PM.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papahoosh View Post
    Today I went to grease up the wet bolts and out of 12 that I have I was able to squeeze in grease 8 without any problem. I then jacked up the frame to relieve pressure and was able to add grease in 2 of them.
    I was not able to add grease to wet bolt #1 no matter what I tried. Wet bolt #2 I am not sure where to Jack it up (please see photos).

On two of mine, I had to lift it up almost to where was daylight under tire. I also bought (recommended from this forum) the "LockNLube". It's pricey at $29.95 but basically made this a 10 minute job.

https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-fit.../dp/B00H7LPKKU

As JCR said, it's possible that bolts were installed at wrong degree. There has been many posts here about that. Although it should not be the case due to sloppy installation, it's fixable at least.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem on my unit. One of the wetbolts was not drilled across (was drilled down middle but no exit drilled) and no amount of grease pressure would get thru. I had to cut it out since it was installed before plumbing pipe that blocked it from removal. Installed the new one from other side. I also turned all wet bolts around where I could grease them from the outside without crawling under the rv. I think the guys that put these together make it a point to cause grief to service. It's no wonder service prices are so high.
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like the others have said, likely installed wrong. I have 2 that I can't get grease or at least very much into. Once the nice weather comes around I will remove them and re-install correctly. I might even take rest out and turn them around so I don't have to crawl under. I have tried everything including jacking up the entire side of the trailer. Makes it easier on the one that take the grease but the other 2 not so much.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Like the others have said, likely installed wrong. I have 2 that I can't get grease or at least very much into. Once the nice weather comes around I will remove them and re-install correctly. I might even take rest out and turn them around so I don't have to crawl under. I have tried everything including jacking up the entire side of the trailer. Makes it easier on the one that take the grease but the other 2 not so much.

Rob
    How do you replace them? Need some tips please.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you replace them? Need some tips please.
    Steven@147's writeup has some info - https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...llation-2950RL
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Steven@147's writeup has some info - https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...llation-2950RL
    Thanks Gene,

I need this information as well. One reason why I haven't done it yet.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Thank you.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted that article when I did the wet bolt thing on our old Imagine and with the CRE installation the rig towed so much better. With our new Solitude they didn't put wet bolts on the end hangers, they put them everywhere else but the spring end hangers, go figure.

Think about installing the wet bolt grease zerk fittings pointing in or out. Yes with the grease zerks pointing out you can get the grease job done without crawling under the rig, my preference. On the other hand with the zerks pointing out they say that they are more susceptible to damage and getting knocked off by a blown tire or other things. Well whatever you think is important. My thought - when a tire blows, or a rock flies, there is no predictability of where or how the tire rubber will flap around and maybe knock off a zerk grease fitting, so I tend to think it doesn't really make that much of a difference. The grease zerks maybe vulnerable no matter which way they point - in or out.
    Yup, if a grease zerk fitting gets broken off, (facing in or out) it will be a PITA to fix. You can just replace the bolt or you could try to use an "easy out" to get the broken piece out of the bolt to replace the zerk or get a smaller grease zerk diameter that will screw into the broken piece left in the bolt. Some grease zerk fittings are screwed in, some are pushed or pressed in the bolt head.
    Just thought I would give you some other thoughts to contemplate.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast