User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMagelitz View Post
    Thanks @jjbbrewer and the others that posted after I resurrected this thread. I’m pretty partial to the air ride systems, just from experience with semi trucks. They keep the vehicle at the same height, regardless of load. Here are some others I found since posting last night:
    Autoflex Air Ride (autoflexsuspensions.com)
    MORryde Air1 - this was an interesting find!
    Dexter Air Flex
    Timbren STi

The Timbren STi is particularly interesting since it’s an independent air ride suspension. The sensing at each wheel would adjust the air pressure to level the trailer side-to-side (for weight differences of the 5er).

For right or wrong, I ordered the 310GK-R with 8k axles and disc brakes. I guess I’ll see how I like it in the stock condition. If I end up junking the axles, I suppose at least I got a GVWR boost (hopefully)….

I’ll post what I end up doing. Please do the same!
    The Air1 is interesting, Larry. I can't find the specs anywhere, though. Do you know the load ratings, etc.? (Of course, with this system and others like it, you're back to a non-alignable, solid axle system...)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The Air1 is interesting, Larry. I can't find the specs anywhere, though. Do you know the load ratings, etc.? (Of course, with this system and others like it, you're back to a non-alignable, solid axle system...)

Rob
    Good question…I can’t find any specs on the Air1 either. It looks like a single axle system.
    Even tho I’m a ways off, I may call on the Timbren STi just to satisfy some curiosity.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good discussion, guys! Thanks for the other references! Much appreciated.

Good question…I can’t find any specs on the Air1 either. It looks like a single axle system.
    It does - I found this video about it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzNeeQei218
    They mention "toy hauler" in the video .. hee hee .. the one they show is not much of one compared to my 349M. (Actually, that looks like the 1st 18' toy hauler I had, except even then I had tandem axles)

Even tho I’m a ways off, I may call on the Timbren STi just to satisfy some curiosity.
    Please post up what you find - especially if they have an STi available with 8K capacity.
    Also, if you don't mind, ask about their Dakota Air system mentioned on this page - https://timbren.com/n-147-what-is-an...e-trailer.html It says that one can go up to 10K.
    signature

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    Good discussion, guys! Thanks for the other references! Much appreciated.

It does - I found this video about it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzNeeQei218
    They mention "toy hauler" in the video .. hee hee .. the one they show is not much of one compared to my 349M. (Actually, that looks like the 1st 18' toy hauler I had, except even then I had tandem axles)

Please post up what you find - especially if they have an STi available with 8K capacity.
    Also, if you don't mind, ask about their Dakota Air system mentioned on this page - https://timbren.com/n-147-what-is-an...e-trailer.html It says that one can go up to 10K.
    @Second Chance, @JKellerJr
    Called Timbren today and talked to a very helpful young guy.

Dakota Air - mostly used on horse trailers and works with the existing axles.
    8k, 9k, and 10k versions; around $1500/axle for 8k lbs

STi - mostly sold to trailer manufacturers, but will sell to individuals. They will need trailer specs.
    7k, 8k, 10k and 12k versions; around $2500/axle for 8k lbs

They sell more STi than Dakota Air. STi does allow side to side leveling. The air kit for either is around $1500. I gathered from searching online that STi was a suspension company that appears to have been bought by Timbren.

I asked about the ride with each, and he characterized them as “similar.”
    I guess we need to get the Top Gear guys out of retirement and ask them to do some testing!
    Last edited by LMagelitz; 01-25-2022 at 10:22 PM.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

STi - mostly sold to trailer manufacturers, but will sell to individuals. They will need trailer specs.

They sell more STi than Dakota Air. STi does allow side to side leveling. The air kit for either is around $1500. I gathered from searching online that STi was a suspension company that appears to have been bought by Timbren.
    Fantastic That's excellent info - I'm VERY happy to hear the STi is available in 8K. I'll have to see what they require for air supply since my air is onboard my truck.

I guess we need to get the Top Gear guys out of retirement and ask them to do some testing!
    This summer I may be the "volunteer" for testing the STi!

Thanks again!
    signature

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Second Chance, @JKellerJr
    Called Timbren today and talked to a very helpful young guy.

I asked about the ride with each, and he characterized them as “similar.”
    My 2cents, and I am absolutely not trying to dismiss others preferences or ideas. If you guys try some of these systems I will be very interested and following your progress. But for me, any kind of air system would be pretty far down my list. I think air makes a lot of sense for trucks or semi/cargo trailers that have large variation of loads. But for a relatively static load of an RV (toy haulers could be a exception to this, or boondocking where ride heights could be adjusted on the fly) I wouldn't really consider air. If a shear spring failure is a concern I would think there are way more points of possible failure and or maintenance on an air system. The bags, compressor, lines, valves, etc. Not to mention pressure changes that come with temperature and altitude. Adding a automatic system to maintain just adds another complexity and point of failure to the system. (I am way to familiar with that as I have the automatic firestone system on my truck, never again!)

When I researched what we were going to do, we chose IS because it had a long proven history with very few documented issues (a feat in the internet age). It seems relatively simple and very beefy (subframe), Lots of information to review including several videos. Plenty of people out there with it, I don't think a single person I have ever talked with or read about that had it, regretted or didn't like it other than the cost. But I doubt a good air system would be a whole lot cheaper.

It fit my parameters the best, others might have different needs or priorities that changes that answer of for them

I did look into the Roadmaster system as it was significantly cheaper but there just wasn't much real world info that I could find and I really wanted to get away from leaf's

YMMV
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2019SD View Post
    We did this....Attachment 31020Attachment 31021. 3.5 in lift with the Roadmaster system. VERY happy. Not any of the bounce as before.
    Yeah me too, Roadmaster is a great way to go. No more shackles to grease or have fall apart, no rubber parts to wear out. Much improved ride and yes, we feel it in the truck.
    This is the system Henderson’s lineup in Grants pass recommends. They are pretty much the west coast trailer suspension experts.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, this is a great discussion, so thanks for everyone participating!

Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    I think air makes a lot of sense for trucks or semi/cargo trailers that have large variation of loads. But for a relatively static load of an RV (toy haulers could be a exception to this, or boondocking where ride heights could be adjusted on the fly) I wouldn't really consider air.
    So, you kind of hit it on the head. The axle loads in my 349M go from 11.8K-14.8K (800 over! ) depending on what I'm doing. The lower end is going weekend camping with my wife at a full hookup RV park; the upper end is remote boondocking on a 8 day trail inventory work trip.
    The last trip I did involved 3 motorcycles w/spares & gear, full fuel, full water, full supplies, and 40 miles of washboard dirt road with the last 1/2 mile being rutted 2 track with waterbars and tight uphill corners.

If a shear spring failure is a concern I would think there are way more points of possible failure and or maintenance on an air system.
    That's a really good point. If I do go with air, I need to understand the potential failure mechanisms and what would be needed to either do a field repair, or how to rig it to get out of remote areas with a failure.

What attracts me to an air system is also what you mention - the STI is essentially the same configuration as that used on semi-trailers & tractors. Some of those get really beat up.

Also, I am willing to spend whatever it takes to have a strong and reliable suspension (and brake) system. I like the simplicity of the Timbren Silent Ride (https://youtu.be/B4BXxfcR6X4) but I would be concerned about the single support saddle in the middle putting stress on the frame. That's why I'm thinking more of a trailing arm air system like the STI.

I did look into the Roadmaster system as it was significantly cheaper but there just wasn't much real world info that I could find and I really wanted to get away from leaf's
    I totally agree. I absolutely hate trailer leaf spring suspensions. The good news is that I've bought the last trailer leaf spring that I'll ever buy.

On my previous toy hauler, I had to field replace 3 springs, 1 hanger, 1 equalizer, and 2 shackles. Each failure involved other components getting damaged as well. I ended up carrying a 10 ton hydraulic jack, 2 5 ton jackstands, a rolling floor jack, 1/2" electric impact, a cable come-along, spare leaf spring, shackles, u-bolts, equalizer, and several pieces of 2x6 & 4x4. I am so done with leaf spring trailer suspensions that (like I said) I will spend whatever it takes to get rid of mine.

Also, I am 100% swapping to E/H disc brakes. I had the Kodiak retrofit kit again on my last toy hauler and it was nothing less than fantastic.
    Last edited by jjbbrewer; 01-26-2022 at 09:49 PM.
    signature

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jjbbrewer
    It looks like before STi was bought they had a website ridetheair.com. It now goes to Timbren’s site. They also had a presence on YouTube as RideTheAir. There are several old videos out there, some of which shows a pretty good image of the suspension components. The pivot arm is pretty beefy.

Catastrophic failure chances (where you cannot move the trailer) on this suspension look remote to me. There could be plenty of maintenance items….air lines could leak, valves could leak, compressor might go bad, bag could rupture (that’s unlikely), but you should always be able to move it to a safe location. I’ve never blown a bag yet on our semi, and so far, I’ve never had to work on the air lines or valves either. Air brakes can be a PITA, but air bags no.
    Larry and JoAnna

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jjbbrewerIt looks like before STi was bought they had a website ridetheair.com.
    I saw that, too. I did watch some of the old videos (on their channel here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1k...KxMBzk3sapvzGg) and I agree. The suspension control arms appear to be a much better design than those putting several tons of lateral loads through a 1/2" thick 2" wide leaf spring.

Catastrophic failure chances (where you cannot move the trailer) on this suspension look remote to me.
    Same. Thanks for letting me know about your experience with you semi. I'd probably stick with the electric over hydraulic brakes.

What seems a little strange to me is that nobody on this forum has tried an air bag suspension yet?? Maybe I'm just a 3-sigma RVer?
    signature

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast