Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

337 RLS Hand rail replacement

Would like to replace the hand rail for the steps going to the bed room. Want to install a longer one so we do not have to reach for it coming down the steps. Has any one replaced there's. I do not want to run screws in to the wall and mess up something.

I have seen a post on another Fourm that they changed there steps from 3 to 4 (which we plane on doing) and also replaced the hand rail.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goober View Post
    Would like to replace the hand rail for the steps going to the bed room. Want to install a longer one so we do not have to reach for it coming down the steps. Has any one replaced there's. I do not want to run screws in to the wall and mess up something.

I have seen a post on another Fourm that they changed there steps from 3 to 4 (which we plane on doing) and also replaced the hand rail.
    No I have not replaced the handrail but would like to. We live full time in a 2020 337RLS and the steps are just flat out dangerous. You would think after three years I would have them figured out but they still are a problem sometimes. When we first got the trailer I did slide off the middle step and almost fall. The other day I noticed that the cheap vinyl paper covering the bathroom door and frame was falling apart as it does anywhere you touch it. After evaluating how I come down the steps I realized that I was using the bathroom door and frame for support when coming down the steps. I stopped holding on to the door and a couple of days ago I slipped on the second step while coming down. I have no physical problems that limit me using stairs. Just big feet and long legs.

What are the problems with the steps?
    The short hand rail can be used going up the stairs but not long enough to reach coming down the stairs.
    Treads are slick, no traction when wearing socks.
    Treads are curved, 12” in middle and 10” at walls. Standard tread width in construction is 11” all the way across.
    Step rise is first step 9”, second step 8”, third step 9”. Standard step rise is 7”.

Replacing the handrail is a good place to start and a lot less work than replacing steps or treads.
    You have a valid concern about messing something up in the wall but maybe more concer would be to not have backing in the wall to hold the screw. The outside walls are aluminum frame with foam insulation squashed between luan panels and fiberglass. Where there needs to be attachment should have a backing board. If there is not a backing board the screw will not hold. GD support might be able to tell you what is behind the wall to anchor longer grab rails. If nothing in the wall then some kind of wall anchor might work, or not.

If you replace the handrail please post how it worked out.
    Last edited by Always Learning; 11-20-2022 at 12:57 PM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used double sided carpet tape and secured carpet pieces cut to shape on our step (wish we had 2 or 3. our '14 303 has one giant step to the landing which has matching carpet on it. I used a 6 ft runner and cut it up. It made the step much safer. The tape leaves a residue but can be cleaned up if you remove the carpet at any time. Over the years we have had our trailer I change the runner out when I get tired of the rug colors.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I used double sided carpet tape and secured carpet pieces cut to shape on our step (wish we had 2 or 3. our '14 303 has one giant step to the landing which has matching carpet on it. I used a 6 ft runner and cut it up. It made the step much safer. The tape leaves a residue but can be cleaned up if you remove the carpet at any time. Over the years we have had our trailer I change the runner out when I get tired of the rug colors.
    We used some of that adhesive textured, rubber stuff that's made for shower floors and cut strips to fit between the grooves on the steps. Of course, both of us fell at least once coming down the steps before doing this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010489.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	43932

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    We used some of that adhesive textured, rubber stuff that's made for shower floors and cut strips to fit between the grooves on the steps. Of course, both of us fell at least once coming down the steps before doing this.

Name:	P1010489.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	43932
    We have been fortunate enough not to have fallen down the steps. We have to come down then one step at a time we are not as agilea as we us to be.". Hope to get the steps rebuilt to 4 steps and replace the handrail over the winter.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    No I have not replaced the handrail but would like to. We live full time in a 2020 337RLS and the steps are just flat out dangerous. You would think after three years I would have them figured out but they still are a problem sometimes. When we first got the trailer I did slide off the middle step and almost fall. The other day I noticed that the cheap vinyl paper covering the bathroom door and frame was falling apart as it does anywhere you touch it. After evaluating how I come down the steps I realized that I was using the bathroom door and frame for support when coming down the steps. I stopped holding on to the door and a couple of days ago I slipped on the second step while coming down. I have no physical problems that limit me using stairs. Just big feet and long legs.

What are the problems with the steps?
    The short hand rail can be used going up the stairs but not long enough to reach coming down the stairs.
    Treads are slick, no traction when wearing socks.
    Treads are curved, 12” in middle and 10” at walls. Standard tread width in construction is 11” all the way across.
    Step rise is first step 9”, second step 8”, third step 9”. Standard step rise is 7”.

Replacing the handrail is a good place to start and a lot less work than replacing steps or treads.
    You have a valid concern about messing something up in the wall but maybe more concer would be to not have backing in the wall to hold the screw. The outside walls are aluminum frame with foam insulation squashed between luan panels and fiberglass. Where there needs to be attachment should have a backing board. If there is not a backing board the screw will not hold. GD support might be able to tell you what is behind the wall to anchor longer grab rails. If nothing in the wall then some kind of wall anchor might work, or not.

If you replace the handrail, please post how it worked out.
    I could not for the life of me understand way the vinyl paper covering was coming off the bathroom trim and door. We too use the door frame for support to come down the steps. Hope to get steps and handrail replaced over the winter.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	F862B005-33FA-41D6-B1F4-8F22300FC101.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	232.6 KB 
ID:	43933 This is what we would like to do with your steps.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	F862B005-33FA-41D6-B1F4-8F22300FC101.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	232.6 KB 
ID:	43933 This is what we would like to do with your steps.
    This looks great and I hope you get it done. I would like to do something like this but living in the trailer full time makes it difficult. I would need to hire a carpenter and be in one place long enough to have it done. Is that a Facebook group?
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    This looks great and I hope you get it done. I would like to do something like this but living in the trailer full time makes it difficult. I would need to hire a carpenter and be in one place long enough to have it done. Is that a Facebook group?
    Yes that is a Facebook group I came up on. I am not capable of doing the work myself but I have a good carpenter that we use for things like this.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that is a Facebook group I came up on. I am not capable of doing the work myself but I have a good carpenter that we use for things like this.
    Thanks. Post some pictures when it is done.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast