User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dimmer Switch Help

I have had some trouble understanding the dimmer switch posts. Want to add dimmer switch to bedroom lights. The lights are not on the one control system so I should have no issues with the panel. The picture shows the switch I'm adding and the wires that are available from the original switch. Which wire goes where if any one has done this before would be helpful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20221121_091623.jpg  
    2019 F450 CC
    2021 Momentum 395MS-R

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktnissen View Post
    I have had some trouble understanding the dimmer switch posts. Want to add dimmer switch to bedroom lights. The lights are not on the one control system so I should have no issues with the panel. The picture shows the switch I'm adding and the wires that are available from the original switch. Which wire goes where if any one has done this before would be helpful.
    This website should help: http://www.rv-project.com/gear/dimmers2.php. Keep in mind that the light switches in most (if not all) Grand Design coaches are wired on the high (+12VDC or positive) side.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That bundle of 3 white wires are your grounds. The black wire on the switch goes there.

You need to measure the wires on the existing switch. The one that has 12v on it all the time connects to red wire on your dimmers.

That leaves the white wire on your switch - it goes to the other wire on your existing switch (the unpowered line on your switch which goes to the lights).

But be sure to look at the video @MoonShadow_1911 referenced. It's a great video as well as a good reference site.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I did on ours https://youtu.be/l507C35p_G0. On ours the white and red wires from the switch went back together to the red. Different switch then what you will be using though.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    That bundle of 3 white wires are your grounds. The black wire on the switch goes there.

You need to measure the wires on the existing switch. The one that has 12v on it all the time connects to red wire on your dimmers.

That leaves the white wire on your switch - it goes to the other wire on your existing switch (the unpowered line on your switch which goes to the lights).

But be sure to look at the video @MoonShadow_1911 referenced. It's a great video as well as a good reference site.
    Thank you for the help. I was able to put it all together after finding out that the bundle of three was the ground. I then summized that the two connected wires on the back of switch was the hot and the single wire was load. I used Wago connectors and now all wiring will be done with Wago connectors.

Really like the dimmer in the bedroom, it is not as harsh turning on the lights in the morning.
    2019 F450 CC
    2021 Momentum 395MS-R

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ktnissen Thanks for the tip on the Wago connectors. I've never heard of them before, but watched their video and I, like you, will be doing all wiring with them.

I'll be swapping out that light switch as soon as it is delivered. I agree the lights are VERY bright first thing in the morning.
    Last edited by GNRWhite; 11-25-2022 at 11:08 AM.
    George & Ronda
    2023 Momentum 376THS-R
    2020 F450 Platinum