User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexSol20 View Post
    ... it is not pulling that is the issue, it is stopping! Many trucks will pull whatever you want - they just won't stop when you need.
    The trailer brakes are designed to stop the trailer. If they are doing their job, the truck just has to stop itself. In fact, if the trailer brakes aren't adequate and the majority of the stopping force is provided by the tow vehicle, the chances of jackknifing are greatly increased. "Over-trucking" is no substitute for properly working trailer brakes. The most frequent weak point in tow vehicle specifications is payload, not brakes.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rrlowen View Post
    This is so true. When I picked up my GMC 3500 AT4, I went directly to the scale. I weighed it and deducted the actual rear axle weight from the rated rear axle weight. The result was a rear axle payload of 3400 Lbs. which is 300 lbs. less than the sticker weight. Running boards were added at the dealer but I don't think they weigh 300 lbs.
    One thing to remember is that all of the payload will not be on the rear axle. If loaded properly that 300lbs that you lost would end up on the front axle with some of the load in front of the year axle. The gooseneck in my 3500 RAM is 2" in front of the rear axle to allow for some weight added to the front axle when pulling with the goose neck. The pucks also put the weight slightly in front of the axle for the same reason. This is one reason why a long bed can have the same rear axle rating as a short bed yet have 500 lbs more payload. The longer bed allows more weight in front of the rear axle so more weight goes to the front axle giving you more payload.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The trailer brakes are designed to stop the trailer. If they are doing their job, the truck just has to stop itself. In fact, if the trailer brakes aren't adequate and the majority of the stopping force is provided by the tow vehicle, the chances of jackknifing are greatly increased. "Over-trucking" is no substitute for properly working trailer brakes. The most frequent weak point in tow vehicle specifications is payload, not brakes.

Rob
    Totally agree. My 3500 Ram SRWhas the same brakes as the DRW when I researched the brake parts to confirm, yet the DRW has more capacity due to the DRW and not much else.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    One thing to remember is that all of the payload will not be on the rear axle. If loaded properly that 300lbs that you lost would end up on the front axle with some of the load in front of the year axle. The gooseneck in my 3500 RAM is 2" in front of the rear axle to allow for some weight added to the front axle when pulling with the goose neck. The pucks also put the weight slightly in front of the axle for the same reason. This is one reason why a long bed can have the same rear axle rating as a short bed yet have 500 lbs more payload. The longer bed allows more weight in front of the rear axle so more weight goes to the front axle giving you more payload.

Rob
    Do you have the factory puck system and LB? I'm curious because I've CAT scaled TV and TV/RV prior to each trip this year and the steer axle weight didn't increase at all - only drive axle.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I have the Ram puck system with the B&W hitch and a long bed, and my steering axle increased by 200 lbs., when the drive axle increased by 3100 lbs.

It would seem odd that the steer axle won't increase a little if the hitch is on axle center-line, or a little forward. Maybe if it's behind the axle center-line a touch, the steer axle wouldn't change. Just a thought. All of mine have been slightly in front of the axle and they all increased the steer axle a couple hundred pounds or so.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 12-29-2022 at 10:04 AM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    FWIW, I have the Ram puck system with the B&W hitch and a long bed, and my steering axle increased by 200 lbs., when the drive axle increased by 3100 lbs.

It would seem odd that the steer axle won't increase a little if the hitch is on axle center-line, or a little forward. Maybe if it's behind the axle center-line a touch, the steer axle wouldn't change. Just a thought. All of mine have been slightly in front of the axle and they all increased the steer axle a couple hundred pounds or so.
    I haven't measured where it is or looked down - just assumed the receiver was directly over the rear axle. Interesting. Two long trips, no change in steer axle and 3140, 3200 increase on drive axle.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly wouldn't be concerned in the slightest. A couple hundred pounds on the front axle is no biggie.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Do you have the factory puck system and LB? I'm curious because I've CAT scaled TV and TV/RV prior to each trip this year and the steer axle weight didn't increase at all - only drive axle.
    I have a short bed and I use the B&W Companion hitch but with the gooseneck single point attachment. With the short box I am currently setup at 5" back from the gooseneck connection or 3" back from the rear axle and it removes about 150 lbs off of my front axle.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Then why don’t the auto manufacturers state this if it is a rule
    Of course if anything is run at max the failure rate will be higher. This works for generators,mowers,heaters power tools etc but doesn’t mean they will fail
    This “80/20 thing” was for half ton owners imo. I don’t know why but that is who it is always geared toward on the interwebs
    There is I would guess less than 5 percent of the HD trucks and highway tractors that would fit a “ 80/20 rule”
    Still missing the point the 80/20 rule (not because of F150`s, that statment is out of left field and 100% wrong) is the figure that will more than likely keep you out of trouble. And dosen`t not matter what you apply it to it will work. So walk on the wild side, your money ,your life just say away from me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I used the 80/20 "rule" in trucking ny dad would have never made money.

If I told dispatch Im never taking off of 80% of Max Gross Takeoff weight in an Airbus 321 Neo, Id never go anywhere. Or have a job.
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast