User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schwintek open gaps around lower rails when slide out

I have a brand new 2022 376THS and have the Schwintek slides in the front living room. At each lower rail under the couches when extended you can see thru gaps to outside sunlight. They are pretty big gaps and it is that way on both slides which are opposite each other.

So.....GD says this is normal and is installed properly as I sit here with cold air blowing into the LR thru the gaps. Lippert says that the gaps should not be there and the slide seals need replaced. Since GD is the builder they would be the one to provide the solution or the dealer. So......since GD says it is proper to have these gaps I am looking for a solution.

Anybody have any creative ways to close these gaps. I was thinking some kind of insert into the area at the bottom on the outside once the slides are open. Then remove whatever solution there is prior to closing the slides. Maybe some foam based material, those swim noodles cut down to fit, a detachable skirt, stuff rags in there....lol? If it rains I am afraid the foam or rag solution would start to soak up the water and cause other problems.

I do find it interesting that GD and Lippert have different opinions on the gaps being "normal" or not. I refuse to accept the fact that a 4 season 5th wheel has gaps (you could put two fingers thru the gaps) that allow air, bugs, bees, mice, small snakes or whatever to come thru this path with no obstruction at all.

I know you guys are creative so lets hear the ideas.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GD351M View Post
    I have a brand new 2022 376THS and have the Schwintek slides in the front living room. At each lower rail under the couches when extended you can see thru gaps to outside sunlight. They are pretty big gaps and it is that way on both slides which are opposite each other.

So.....GD says this is normal and is installed properly as I sit here with cold air blowing into the LR thru the gaps. Lippert says that the gaps should not be there and the slide seals need replaced.
    How do the slide seals look from the outside? Perhaps GD installed seals that are too narrow? On one of our hydraulic slides, the dealer ordered new slide seals but found they were too wide (3" wipe instead of 2.5" wipe), so maybe you have the opposite issue. Our MBR slide is a Schwintek. The slide seals fit closely with no gaps. Since it does not sound like a LCI component issue, you are going to have to deal with GD. It should be under warranty. I'd call GD early in the morning and ask for warranty support from a regional supervisor. (I can tell you who to avoid by PM.)
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    How do the slide seals look from the outside? Perhaps GD installed seals that are too narrow? On one of our hydraulic slides, the dealer ordered new slide seals but found they were too wide (3" wipe instead of 2.5" wipe), so maybe you have the opposite issue. Our MBR slide is a Schwintek. The slide seals fit closely with no gaps. Since it does not sound like a LCI component issue, you are going to have to deal with GD. It should be under warranty. I'd call GD early in the morning and ask for warranty support from a regional supervisor. (I can tell you who to avoid by PM.)
    PM please

They say all is installed properly on the seals and slides.

The SRT came out to fix rain water pouring in as they were nearby. They also said it looked proper and the gaps are “normal”. The rain intrusion seems to have stopped by extending the channel mount on the roof (to throw runoff further away from the slides) and by siliconing the inside of the rails. They said that should have been done while being mfr and it got overlooked.

Back to the gaps….
    Last edited by GD351M; 01-19-2023 at 11:49 AM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some pictures would really help. Are you seeing sunlight coming in from under the slide?
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. From inside the coach where the bottom rails are. You can see outside

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, this is nothing new to anyone with Schwintek slides. They say those are drainage holes, but I'll give you the full skinny...

I've never seen an indication of water down in those spaces. In our previous trailer I used brass wool (as opposed to steel wool which rusts when wet) to stuff down there because I was told they were drains. That allows water to drain should there be any, but keeps mice out. But as I said I've never seen an indication that water entered that area so in our new camper I plan to block it off and just keep an eye on it. Now, that takes care of the drain hole that you can see through but that doesn't actually block the full opening which isn't so visible from the top with the slide closed. With the slide extended, go outside look up from under the slide into those corners. You will see that it is still actually open from the outside and above the hole that you might have just filled with brass wool. You can use blocks of foam, Gorilla tape, or other material to close that gap. Again, with the new camper we just picked up, I plan to just fill that space with a block of foam to close it in and not worry about the drainage just keeping an eye on it. Hope some of this helps.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PM please

They say all is installed properly on the seals and slides.

The SRT came out to fix rain water pouring in as they were nearby. They also said it looked proper and the gaps are “normal”. The rain intrusion seems to have stopped by extending the channel mount on the roof (to throw runoff further away from the slides) and by siliconing the inside of the rails. They said that should have been done while being mfr and it got overlooked.

Back to the gaps….
    Can't speak from personal experience, but others have said the SRTs know what they are doing. From your response to @Ynot4me2, it's unclear about the location of the gaps. There are gaps at the bottom corners of the slide openings for water drainage on some if not most rigs. I could see daylight through ours when the slides were extended but not when retracted. I put some Xcluder barrier in those holes/gaps to keep out uninvited guests. If that is not the gap to which you are referring, then I think pics are definitely in order. Then, we can better advise as if contacting GD customer service is warranted.

And just to clarify, you have already spoken to someone in customer service at GD about this specific issue and the SRT looked at it, too, correct?

Edit: Looks @Riverbug had the same thoughts and beat me to it.
    Last edited by Fsalmy; 01-19-2023 at 02:32 PM.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    Can't speak from personal experience, but others have said the SRTs know what they are doing. From your response to @Ynot4me2, it's unclear about the location of the gaps. There are gaps at the bottom corners of the slide openings for water drainage on some if not most rigs. I could see daylight through ours when the slides were extended but not when retracted. I put some Xcluder barrier in those holes/gaps to keep out uninvited guests. If that is not the gap to which you are referring, then I think pics are definitely in order. Then, we can better advise as if contacting GD customer service is warranted.

And just to clarify, you have already spoken to someone in customer service at GD about this specific issue and the SRT looked at it, too, correct?

Edit: Looks @Riverbug had the same thoughts and beat me to it.
    Yes on the GD and SRT. Problem is Lippert states that no that should not be that way and new seals might be in order but that it is the OEMs situation to deal with. I also sent Lipperts emails to GD and they denied anything is wrong with it.

I will find a fix but in my opinion gaps should not be letting in weather and pests straight into my living room. Its a bad design on the install side IMO.

I will attempt to post pics but it is just on the lower rails straight out and daylight is seen.
    Last edited by GD351M; 01-19-2023 at 04:43 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Yep, this is nothing new to anyone with Schwintek slides. They say those are drainage holes, but I'll give you the full skinny...

I've never seen an indication of water down in those spaces. In our previous trailer I used brass wool (as opposed to steel wool which rusts when wet) to stuff down there because I was told they were drains. That allows water to drain should there be any, but keeps mice out. But as I said I've never seen an indication that water entered that area so in our new camper I plan to block it off and just keep an eye on it. Now, that takes care of the drain hole that you can see through but that doesn't actually block the full opening which isn't so visible from the top with the slide closed. With the slide extended, go outside look up from under the slide into those corners. You will see that it is still actually open from the outside and above the hole that you might have just filled with brass wool. You can use blocks of foam, Gorilla tape, or other material to close that gap. Again, with the new camper we just picked up, I plan to just fill that space with a block of foam to close it in and not worry about the drainage just keeping an eye on it. Hope some of this helps.
    Good ideas. Do you plan to remove whatever you use before closing the slide? I might use some Gorilla tape as I have and use a lot of that

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good ideas. Do you plan to remove whatever you use before closing the slide? I might use some Gorilla tape as I have and use a lot of that
    Not really necessary because when you close the slide there isn't anything that compresses into that gap. You just have the body panel that hangs down below the bottom of the slide room floor but you will see that it doesn't fit into that channel/gap that we're talking about closing in. You'll be able to see once you start taking a closer look.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast