User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we got to drive it around a bit. Albeit at 15-20 mph and I was surprised at power and general feel. I could honestly barely tell the trailer was behind me in most cases. We used a standard trailer hitch, no sway pro/load level. I understand that is completely unloaded, without propane or batteries adding an immediate tongue weight. It didn’t sag near as much as I expected, maybe 2 inches. I was fully expecting it riding on the frame. (We had also just picked up groceries.)

I appreciate all the input. I woke up last night in a sweat after going to bed saying we were going with the 2800. Gut was telling me to stop and rethink.

We have decided to go with the 23bhe. I think this truck could manage the 2800 but without the experience and especially knowing that the payload will be very sketchy, I think this is the best decision.

I wish I could take it for a highway spin with an extra 800 lbs, but that’s probably asking way too much. Lots of liability.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kubenaab View Post
    So we got to drive it around a bit. Albeit at 15-20 mph and I was surprised at power and general feel. I could honestly barely tell the trailer was behind me in most cases. We used a standard trailer hitch, no sway pro/load level. I understand that is completely unloaded, without propane or batteries adding an immediate tongue weight. It didn’t sag near as much as I expected, maybe 2 inches. I was fully expecting it riding on the frame. (We had also just picked up groceries.)

I appreciate all the input. I woke up last night in a sweat after going to bed saying we were going with the 2800. Gut was telling me to stop and rethink.

We have decided to go with the 23bhe. I think this truck could manage the 2800 but without the experience and especially knowing that the payload will be very sketchy, I think this is the best decision.

I wish I could take it for a highway spin with an extra 800 lbs, but that’s probably asking way too much. Lots of liability.
    Probably a smart decision and enjoy the new trailer! It’ll be less stressful every time you take it out.

Highway is where it would have been especially noticeable, but awesome they let you hook up the trailer at all.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happened to the 2400?
    We looked at the 2400 and the 23bhe but the 2400 won with tons more frontal storage and greater interior headroom My head is in the skylight in the 23bhe
    There is also lots of complaints about the sink in the kitchen slide on the 23bhe.
    Some things to consider
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2800BH is defiantly pushing the 1/2 ton tow limits.

My truck is configured about the best it can be for a non-HDPP truck, for the first one and a half years I was satisfied with how it towed. Last fall we had fairly high winds on 3 trip so I bought a Pro pride and hope it helps. So far only one trip with the PP3 but conditions were good so not a real test, although the truck push did feel better with the PP3.

So in my opinion you can do it with the proper 1/2 ton and with a fair amount of towing experience.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by llr2800 View Post
    The 2800BH is defiantly pushing the 1/2 ton tow limits.

My truck is configured about the best it can be for a non-HDPP truck, for the first one and a half years I was satisfied with how it towed. Last fall we had fairly high winds on 3 trip so I bought a Pro pride and hope it helps. So far only one trip with the PP3 but conditions were good so not a real test, although the truck push did feel better with the PP3.

So in my opinion you can do it with the proper 1/2 ton and with a fair amount of towing experience.
    Once you have that thing dialed in, you'll love it.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    Once you have that thing dialed in, you'll love it.
    Thanks, I suspect I will, just not going to brag too much till I have a few trips and less than perfect conditions behind me.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to answer all the lose ends if anyone is curious.

We picked up the 23bhe today and it towed like a dream. The way this tundra pulls compared to my 2016 silverado 1500 is night and day. I have so much more power, at least it feels that way. Had about a 30 mile trip back on curvy and hilly roads and it felt great. We ended up getting the blue ox sway pro. I'm really excited to take it to our scale and check some weights out and see how we are on payload.

To answer the question about the 2400bh. It was always on my mind but after we went back and forth between the 2 we decided the 23bhe was gonna suffice. Truth be told, if this trailer tows great the whole time and I build up my experience we may eventually trade up for a 2800bh in the future. We're a 4 person family and don't really want to get "too big" of a trailer and we'd like to stay in a half ton as we don't tow anything else that would require a bigger truck.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats, the Blue Ox is a real good WDH. The electric part of that hybrid must also make a pulling difference.
    Enjoy your setup and make long lasting family memories.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 2021 Tundra pulling a GD 2600RB (31 feet) and found it too underpowered. The Tundra specs said it was good but with only 401 ft-lb of torque it was constantly downshifting and the cruse control was totally unusable. I replaced the Tundra with a Ford 2022 F250SD 7.6 diesel and am now almost "overpowered" (if that is possible). I went from 401 ft-lb of torque to 1050 ft-lb of torque resulting in being able to set the cruse-control at 70 and seldom ever (feeling) downshifting. Also, my mileage went from about 8-mpg to 12-mpg which I considered significant.

Jay - Edna, Texas
    GD IMAGINE 2600RB
    Ford F250SD 7.6 Diesel

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwalthall View Post
    I had a 2021 Tundra pulling a GD 2600RB (31 feet) and found it too underpowered. The Tundra specs said it was good but with only 401 ft-lb of torque it was constantly downshifting and the cruse control was totally unusable. I replaced the Tundra with a Ford 2022 F250SD 7.6 diesel and am now almost "overpowered" (if that is possible). I went from 401 ft-lb of torque to 1050 ft-lb of torque resulting in being able to set the cruse-control at 70 and seldom ever (feeling) downshifting. Also, my mileage went from about 8-mpg to 12-mpg which I considered significant.

Jay - Edna, Texas
    GD IMAGINE 2600RB
    Ford F250SD 7.6 Diesel
    I had a 2009 Tundra and towed a Reflection 297 RSTS for 2 years and about 12,000 km (7500 miles) and never found it underpowered. It would cruise all day in 5th gear at 70 -75 mph and really only downshift to 4th with significant headwinds and maybe 3rd on steeper grades. Was always able to keep up with traffic even on steeper grades. This is what all gas engines do. Also towed a 32' Rockwood that weighed 7600 lbs for 10 years and over 60,000km (37,000 miles). Both trailers were a dream to tow with the Tundra. I think the op would have had no issues at all towing the 2800 bh that he was looking at.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast