User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wyoming road trip

We have a trip planned for May 2023 from Ohio to the Pacific Northwest. Specifically looking for info on the area from Omaha NE to Twin Falls Id. The routes we are looking at are staying on I-80 to Salt Lake and then up I-84. All interstate and probably boring? Second option is heading to Grand Teton National Park. Is it worth going thru Casper or staying on I-80 until Laramie and then northwest on 287.
    What are the mountain passes like around Jasper area. Looks like Teton Pass is a pretty steep route to go according to the Mountain West Directory.
    Any suggestions on which route? Where to stay? Things to do? Thanks for any and all advice.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If staying in Twin Falls, stop and visit the Shoshone Falls, it's the Niagra of the West and actually bigger than Niagra Falls.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do NOT want to travel I-80 that far. Starting at Omaha, you can, indeed, take I-80 west, but you want to get off of the Interstate west of Lake McConaughy near Ogallala and go up toward Ash Hollow. Then you will go through Scottsbluff and on into Wyoming at Torrington. Go on up to Casper, then take US 20/26 west toward Riverton and on to The Tetons and Yellowstone. If you haven't been this way before plan on spending a couple of weeks. You can spend quite a bit of time in Omaha, and then, of course, the capital in Lincoln (well worth the visit). I'm skipping over quite a bit, but stop in North Platte and see the Golden Spike. That's actually an observation tower that lets you look at a huge rail switching yard. Every UP east/west UP train is remade there. Big Mac (Lake McConaughy) is a good-sized mad-made lake. The stretch from there up through Scottsbluff is rich with the history of the westward migration. You can spend a couple of days traveling 100 miles there.

I-80 from Cheyenne to Laramie is well known for the "sleeping semis". Those are 18-wheelers that blew over in the Wyoming breezes. Years ago, when the highway was being laid out, locals told the feds not to build it there because of the winds. Washington knew best, though, and the highway was built where it is now. After all these years Washington is now thinking that maybe the locals may have been onto something, and they are now talking about rerouting the Interstate there.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @kb0zke covered the Nebraska stuff so I'll pick up ideas from either Wheatland west or Cheyenne west.

Keep in mind that, next to Alaska, Wyoming has the 2nd smallest population density. So there is lots of open space. Also, before you get to the west part of the state, like to Evanston or Dubois, it's very possible to run into high winds.

Option 1 - North through Glendo, Douglas, Casper, then eventually to Shoshoni & Riverton, Dubois, then Tetons/Yellowstone.
    • Glendo to Casper on I25 is typical divided highway with rolling hills. Nothing much that interesting unless you want to go check out Glendo Reservoir, which might be good camping. I've heard it is, but I've never been there.
    • From Casper to Riverton is all 2 lane not divided highway that's flat, open and unremarkable. Make sure to fuel up in Casper since there's basically nothing (besides Hell's Half Acre) between there and Shoshoni, which is 100 miles.
    • Shoshoni, Riverton, Dubois is equally unremarkable, but once you get NW of Dubois, the terrain gets more interesting.
    • Dubois has a cool military museum.
    • From Dubois, whether you go to the south through the Tetons, Jackson, then Idaho Falls, or north through Yellowstone, you'll see some of the most fantastic scenery in the lower 48 states. But you've earned it by going through Casper & Riverton.

Option 2 - I80 through Cheyenne all the way to Utah
    • That's the fastest way by far.
    • You can still have heavy winds but at least you'll have some company in the form of trucks.
    • There are plenty of services (fuel, food, etc.) but not much for scenery until you get west of Evanston.

Option 3 - I80 to Laramie, then Hwy 30 to Medicine Bow & Hwy 487 to Casper
    • There are some historical sites along this route, but primarily you'll be on 2 lane highways.
    • Rolling terrain north of Medicine Bow, some mountains & open spaces, but nothing much to stop for
    • Casper west is the same as in Option 1

Option 4 - I80 to Rawlins, then north on 287 to Lander
    • Hwy 287 North of Rawlins is 2 lane highway, but very wide.
    • Rawlins is kind of a cool town with many good restaurants and a frontier prison that's been made into a museum.
    • The Western Hills Campground is decent and reasonably priced.
    • There are a couple of things to see along that direction. Near Bairoil there are wild horse/burro areas, the Mormon handcart center is along that way, and you'll be paralleling the Oregon trail as you go through Jeffery City.
    • Hwy 287 NW of Lander gets you toward Dubois, same as Option 1

Option 5 - Hwy 130 west of Laramie to Centennial, through Medicine Bow Natl Forest, then Saratoga or Encampment & Sierra Madres
    • This is probably the most scenic way through the middle of Wyoming. Hwy 130 is a designated scenic byway through the Snowy Range, then the Sierra Madres to Baggs.
    • Most people don't even know about this route. Almost everyone from out of state make a beeline to Teton & Yellowstone so this route remains kind of an undiscovered treasure.
    • Hwy 130 is VERY well paved and smooth as I've ever driven. There's very little traffic, but do gas up in Laramie.
    • Saratoga has free outdoor hot springs that are open 24/7.
    • Encampment has a free RV park with 8 sites or so & some hookups. Donations are accepted.
    • To go this way in May, though, you need to check to make sure Hwy 130 is open since both the Snowys and the Sierras get a fair amount of snow and are closed until they're able to be plowed.
    • You can go north from Saratoga on Hwy 130 (kinda boring) to get to Rawlins, which puts you back on Options 2 or 4
    • Or you can go north from Baggs on Hwy 789 (another boring stretch) to Wamsutter, which puts you back to Option 2

I've driven all of these routes pulling my 349M, so I know they're totally navigable. The main deciding factors are how much time do you have and what do you want to see.
    signature

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have gotten great information so far, and we're going to have to see about putting @jjbbrewer in the time-out for sharing a coveted route!!! I spend a lot of time in WY because it's home to several of mines and two manufacturing plants under my purview, and I want to simply state to be prepared because it's a lot of incredible country with little to no population. Cell service is totally absent for hours on end so plan routes consciously of this. You will not find fuel stations frequently, or ones you can get into without dropping the camper. Be prepared for self-sufficiency if you experience a flat tire. If anyone has a medical condition, have all medication because the pharmacies are very basic and have a route and check-in plan with friends and family. Most importantly, take that beautiful land in generously! Safe journeys!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    ... we're going to have to see about putting @jjbbrewer in the time-out for sharing a coveted route!!!
    .. oops.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170728_153301.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	44725

Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    I want to simply state to be prepared because it's a lot of incredible country with little to no population. ..<snip> .. Be prepared for self-sufficiency if you experience a flat tire.
    Really good advice! The spotty cell service is definitely true although it's gotten better in the last few years.

I'll just add that about everyone living in WY understands the need for self-sufficiency. Because of that if I truly needed help along the road, there's no other place I'd rather be than rural WY. I've met the nicest people there with just random encounters.

A sign in a bar in Dixon says, "Wyoming is what America was."
    signature

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    .. oops.

Really good advice! The spotty cell service is definitely true although it's gotten better in the last few years.

I'll just add that about everyone living in WY understands the need for self-sufficiency. Because of that if I truly needed help along the road, there's no other place I'd rather be than rural WY. I've met the nicest people there with just random encounters.

A sign in a bar in Dixon says, "Wyoming is what America was."
    It indeed has gotten better, but when I make the drive from Billings airport to make Facility in Lovell, still a dead zone for an hour and 10 minutes of the trip. For folks that don't know, it's not for lack of cell providers wanting towers, it's the land owners not letting it happen! Some providers even tried a funny game of getting railroads to widen easements, and the ranchers were wise to that. There's also immense protected land due to native species, and that forbids it. I used to enjoy the quiet time, but then when the company was bought the new owners felt it important I have a satellite phone.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    .. oops.

I'll just add that about everyone living in WY understands the need for self-sufficiency. .....
    I've always said that if you are going to need mechanical service then the western states are the place to be. Those folks are nice, they are handy, they understand mechanical stuff and they are helpful. I had the occasion to need a plug for a leaking hydraulic leveler and when asking at a RV repair shop a resident pulled me aside, sent me to a hydraulic hose shop and I got what I wanted for less thant $2.00 - versus the $200+ that the RV shop wanted.

We've been all through WY a lot. Are there any really bad places to travel there? oops - just thought of one - Jackson Hole - too dang crowded for me.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was searching for this exact information so thank you for such a detailed explanation.

I read through the different routes but what about I-80 (yes I read the cautions) to Rock Springs and then up Hwy 191? I will be traveling out of Cheyenne so that looks to be an option. Especially interested if Hwy 191 is good (pavement, width etc.).

I was thinking this gets me to Gros Ventre easier and avoids driving through the busy Jackson Hole area.
    Kansas City and Lake of the Ozarks
    2021 22MLE, Husky Centerline TS
    2021 Ford F150 Platinum Crew Cab, Max Tow, 3.5L Ecoboost, 2k Pro Power
    2001 Ford F-350 XLT Crew Cab 4X4 Dually, 7.3 Power Stroke

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One part of the route back that I had questions on was from Buffalo to Cheyenne. About 300 miles if I take I-25 via Casper, but sounds like there were some nice options.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast