User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed my brass valve today. I used a 90 degree elbow into the tank and my brass valve into the elbow. So far all is fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1385.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	38978
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I installed my brass valve today. I used a 90 degree elbow into the tank and my brass valve into the elbow. So far all is fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1385.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	38978
    What is the 90 street elbow made out of?
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a black cast iron elbow to me.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deerislandbrew View Post
    What is the 90 street elbow made out of?
    @deerislandbrew
    It's old type iron/galvanized pipe. I figured that way it was steel fitting into a steel tank and maybe I would avoid some galvanic corrosion.

It's such a discussion about whether it is needed or not. But I did it anyway. Now, if there is any metal to metal corrosion between the check valve and elbow at least I can toss those out without ruining the tank.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Here is one that might work:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ple-1-2-in-mpt

The manufacturer of this product rates it for 167 F at 75 psi. Any idea as to the temp our water heaters put out, as I don't know if all nylon fittings are rated high enough??

Wondering what you ended up doing. I had the same issue. I just plugged a brass check valve in, but the got concerned about galvanic reaction. I decided the best way to fix this issue is put a non conductive adapter between the aluminum tank and the brass check valve. I heard talk about cpvc and pvc not being rated for hot water. However, research shows PVC is good for 175*F. That is just fine for the water heater. My biggest concern was having to back out, cut, melt, saw plastic or picked threads out of the aluminum tank if it ever broke again. The solution I came up with is to use an Aluminum 1/2" 90 street elbow out of the tank, then put the PVC 1/2" male x female npt adaptor into the elbow, then the brass check valve. If the pvc adaptor fails or needs replaced, I can unthread the elbow to work on it apart from the tank.
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wondering what you ended up doing. I had the same issue. I just plugged a brass check valve in, but the got concerned about galvanic reaction. I decided the best way to fix this issue is put a non conductive adapter between the aluminum tank and the brass check valve. I heard talk about cpvc and pvc not being rated for hot water. However, research shows PVC is good for 175*F. That is just fine for the water heater. My biggest concern was having to back out, cut, melt, saw plastic or picked threads out of the aluminum tank if it ever broke again. The solution I came up with is to use an Aluminum 1/2" 90 street elbow out of the tank, then put the PVC 1/2" male x female npt adaptor into the elbow, then the brass check valve. If the pvc adaptor fails or needs replaced, I can unthread the elbow to work on it apart from the tank.
    Galvanized, PEX-lined nipple is what you would for compatability, and regularly found where residential water heaters are sold. They are intended for potable water applications, and the PEX provides a degradation-resistant lining.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Galvanized, PEX-lined nipple is what you would for compatability, and regularly found where residential water heaters are sold. They are intended for potable water applications, and the PEX provides a degradation-resistant lining.
    I did a search for such a thing and came up empty. Do you have a link for this fitting. Thanks.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question. If you put the check valve directly into the elbow and ignored the possibility of corrosion, seems the water tank would still be protected. Any down side?
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    I did a search for such a thing and came up empty. Do you have a link for this fitting. Thanks.
    Type this into Google "galvanized pex lined nipples."
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you talk with the folks that manufacture plastic pipe you will find the ratings for PVC and CPVC pipe is higher than the ratings for their threaded fittings. Nylon appears to be rated at a higher temp.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast