User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much harder or more stressful is it finding campsites now?

Thinking about going fulltime, but wonder if this is the right time because of all of the Newbies now. How much harder and/or stressful is it finding campsites now?

I have heard of people reserving a year or more in advance. This is not something I want to do. I don't want to be on a schedule to be at a certain place on a certain date. That does not sound like fun to me.

I am sure some will recommend boondocking, which I might do a little here and there, but I would prefer to have full hookups or at least electric.

Like to hear from those fulltiming now.

Thanks

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texsinbad View Post
    Thinking about going fulltime, but wonder if this is the right time because of all of the Newbies now. How much harder and/or stressful is it finding campsites now?

I have heard of people reserving a year or more in advance. This is not something I want to do. I don't want to be on a schedule to be at a certain place on a certain date. That does not sound like fun to me.

I am sure some will recommend boondocking, which I might do a little here and there, but I would prefer to have full hookups or at least electric.

Thanks
    We're not fulltimers, but we're on the road a lot this summer (we hope) and we've been booking campgrounds the past week (for summer). Only issue we had was we wanted a week at one campground, but we could only get 4 nights. Other than that, we've had no problem making reservations in Nevada, Wyoming, Idaho, Indiana, Michigan.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know here in Ontario, Canada it is getting ridiculous. I've been trying to find a spot for the middle of July since the start of February. This isn't the most popular park either. All I can do now is wait for someone to cancel and snag it up before someone else does. Hopefully, all these people realize camping isn't for them and it gets a bit easier to book a site.
    2021 Reflection 28BH
    Pullrite Superlite 2600
    2019 Ford F250 CC SB 6.7L
    2017 Jayco 27bhs (Sold)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought our 22MLE last October and struggled to find a campground in the North GA area for our first and last trip of 2020. We found one of the last campsites in Tuggalo state park for the 2nd week in Nov. The campground was nice, but not the nicest campsite. Nevertheless, it was a good 1st outing. It gave us a chance to scout the really nice sites at Tuggalo for next year (2021) and made a reservation right away for next Nov. After watching KYD (Keeping your Daydream) we bought a subscription to Allstays.com, although I am sure you can get the same info from reserveamerica.com and other related sites. Google can be your friend! If you are followers of KYD, they are full-timers and have had pretty good luck getting into most campgrounds around the US. They also boondock and make use of Harvest Host. That said, finding a place to stay during the week is easier than on weekends. However, my wife and I still work, so that is not an option for a while.

Knowing how difficult it has been reserving sites prompted me to dig into AllStays and google to find decent campgrounds/sites and make reservations. I booked most of our trips in January (2021) for our once-a-month long weekend (Thrus-Sun) trips. We are booked from April through Nov, the last one being the Grand Design Ralley at Skidaway (Savanah, GA).

In short, yes it has been a challenge to find good campgrounds and sites, but they are available. You just have to be lucky and flexible. Future planning is the way to go for now.

Mitch and Alisa Frank
    22-MLE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texsinbad View Post

Thanks
    It will all depend on where you are looking to stay. The closer you get to major attractions the harder it will be to get a site. If you don't mind traveling to see the sights the easier it will be to get a site. Holidays will be a time you want to make a reservation. Even those out of the way places even with no hook-ups likely will be booked up. before you are ready to move research area and campgrounds where you want to go next. Have a few places on your list. Then before you pull out in the morning call the places on your list to see where you can get in. Not a good idea to just show up at a campground unannounced. May end up looking for a walmart.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 03-15-2021 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Added on.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even not near attractions and wanting some level of hookups it's work now depending where you are located. Here in the NE, for the first time ever in decades of RVing and decades camping before that we had to reserve our entire year by February. Even then, we didn't get everywhere we wanted. If you are seeking freedom more associated with boondocking and BLM lands, there's good flexibility still.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We sold our house a year ago March to begin our full time journey!!! So much excitement and hope. Won't lie-- been a really rough year! Lots of issues with our 2020 GD Solitude 390 and lots of trouble finding sites- hubby works full time so our requirements are different than many! Travel on weekends, need to stay a minimum of 2 weeks preferably a month at locations with full hookups!! Hour and hours and days and days spent researching... It's just not fun/enjoyable at all. That is our experience-- many will have better and am happy for them. Giving it up sadly.
    Joe and Beth - Not in Kansas anymore…
    2018 Ford F350, 6.7L Diesel, DRW, CC, LB
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're newbies. We are wrapping up our 8-week test run before we go full time in December. Glad we did!

To answer your question, we didn't have any trouble finding spots along the way. We did plan at least 2 days out, and sometimes had to call 2 or more places to find a spot for the night. All our big rocks were planned before hand - especially in the nicer resorts. Some campsights had no problem letting us extend our stay. I can say this though - The KOA's seem to have more last minute availability then the cheaper RV sites. Note to self for budgeting. We did travel all the lower states, coast to coast.

For example... we couldn't get anywhere near Durango at the last minute... so we adjusted and went to Zion National Park instead. Summer is Durango's peak, so we were told.

Really, the only issues we ran into this summer was getting into National Parks. Most require a reservation, which was news to us. We stayed at a FANTASTIC campground just outside of Yosemite (Bass Lake), but couldn't go into Yosemite... their reservations tend to "sell out" weeks in advance. But that's not an RV issue.. that's a planning issue.
    Last edited by lcallander; 08-18-2021 at 08:47 PM. Reason: locations
    2019 Ford F350 Diesel Dually
    2021 Grand Design Solitude 310GKR
    1 Chocolate Lab, 1 Puggle
    We're like kids, but with credit cards and truck keys!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But isn't that because the borders have been closed????
    2019 Ford F350 Diesel Dually
    2021 Grand Design Solitude 310GKR
    1 Chocolate Lab, 1 Puggle
    We're like kids, but with credit cards and truck keys!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lcallander View Post
    But isn't that because the borders have been closed????
    Friendly forum hint, when replying to a particular post if you select reply with quote everyone will know who the reply is for. Plus that person will get a notification that there is a quoted reply.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast