User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Experiences with new Ford SD

Looking for anyone who's towed or towing with the new Ford Super Duty and the 10 speed transmission! Does it impact your fuel mileage or do you experience a lot up shifting or down shifting, especially in hilly or mountainous terrain. All feedback tips, recommendations and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2020 Ford F-350 Diesel with the 10 speed transmission. Although we've only driven it with the trailer a few hundred miles, I am super happy with it. I don't find that it does an inordinate amount of shifting. I'm not sure what you're meaning about fuel mileage. We drove the truck to Southern California to visit family and got 20.1 MPG. When we towed our Solitude 2930RL last weekend, we got just over 10 MPG. I was a little disappointed but not particularly surprised since we were towing about 14,000 pounds! The other thing I like about the combination of the diesel and transmission is we can accelerate up hills until we're going entirely too fast to be safe (not that I make a practice of doing that). We also use the exhaust brake all the time and it works great. If you have other specific questions, I would be happy to try answer them for you. I would buy this truck again without hesitation.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    ...do you experience a lot up shifting or down shifting, especially in hilly or mountainous terrain.
    I don't notice the shifting at all. It's a very smooth transmission. The powertrain in my 2020 F-350 is noticeably more powerful than my 2019 F-350. I think it's a combination of slightly more power and more gears to keep the engine at the correct RPM for max output. I've towed over the Cascade pass in Oregon and the Grapevine in California a couple times and the truck is awesome. Gobs of power and runs cool even on hot summer days. Mileage on the highway empty is around 22mpg. Towing my 15,000lb Solitude it averages around 11.5mpg.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much for the response. I appreciate it very much. I'm looking at possibly purchasing one and wanted feedback from someone who actually has towed with one.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it very much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good post. I just went from an AISIN Cummins to a 21 Ford

First tow will be to denver in a week or so. Plenty of hills to work out the details on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab Patriot bus
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had mine for nearly a year. Got 9000 miles and nearly all of that is towing either a fiver or gooseneck trailer to and from Colorado and over Raton Pass. Previously towed the same route with a '16 SD 6.7. 10 speed tranny and more hp/torque is great. I get 1 to 1.5 mpg better towing (and I tow at 70-75 mph) than the older truck. I can drive it unloaded from CO to TX driving 5 over the speed limit and get over 20 mpg. This truck does better on fuel economy than my F150 does (both unloaded)
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with all the above experiences. I noticed a nice increase in non- towing mpg over the 2019 F350 dually I had prior to the '20 F450 and 10 speed. The 450 / 10 spd combo easily picked up 4-5 mpg on the highway without the trailer and 1-1.5 mpg increase while towing. The new 10 speed in super smooth in operation no matter if you're towing or not. It's pretty cool to watch the gear display go from 1st to 3rd to 5th etc skipping gears as needed. The increased torque rating is very noticeable as well, I used to lockout 6th gear on the 2019 6 speed but now I just leave it in drive and let it do it's thing.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I don't notice the shifting at all. It's a very smooth transmission. The powertrain in my 2020 F-350 is noticeably more powerful than my 2019 F-350. I think it's a combination of slightly more power and more gears to keep the engine at the correct RPM for max output. I've towed over the Cascade pass in Oregon and the Grapevine in California a couple times and the truck is awesome. Gobs of power and runs cool even on hot summer days. Mileage on the highway empty is around 22mpg. Towing my 15,000lb Solitude it averages around 11.5mpg.
    I just ordered a 2022 F350 SRW CCLB. Was going back and forth over ordering a 3.31 or a 3.55 rear. What rear does your truck have?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5er Searching View Post
    What rear does your truck have?
    Mine has the 3.55 locking axle. I think that's the only one available on the Tremor. With the new 10 speed transmissions, the rear axle ratio isn't as important as it used to be.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast