User Tag List

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anode Rod with Drain

Just saw this anode rod with a drain incorporated. I've never seen this before, but the concept has appeal to me. Has anyone tried one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-11533-A...%2C158&sr=8-13
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    Just saw this anode rod with a drain incorporated. I've never seen this before, but the concept has appeal to me. Has anyone tried one of these?

Depending on your water heater it may not even use an anode rod. Look at the drain plug - if it is plastic then you don't have an anode rod and don't need one.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post

That does look appealing, and not much more spendy than a standard anode. Just don't forget to check the anode itself periodically (I check mine whenever I drain the heater, it's already out...). Mine usually last a year if i'm lucky.

John
    Last edited by LV Naturist; 04-06-2021 at 01:49 PM.
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'm not mistaken, only the Solitudes have anode rods. That doesn't mean that the rest of us can't do it. I've just never read someone that did.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, only the Solitudes have anode rods. That doesn't mean that the rest of us can't do it. I've just never read someone that did.
    You may be correct - I don't know - but the requirement for the anode rod is related to the type of water heater rather than to the Solitude line specifically.

Water heaters under the Suburban brand name have porcelain-lined steel tanks that require the anode rod to retard corrosion of the tank where it is not protected by the porcelain - the anode rod gets "corroded" instead of the tank. The "plug" screwed into the water tank's drain hole is metal and has the anode rod on the back of it.

Water heaters under the Atwood brand name have aluminum tanks and do not require an anode rod - they have plastic plugs in their water tank drain holes.

I don't know if GD uses Suburban only in the Solitude line.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Depending on your water heater it may not even use an anode rod. Look at the drain plug - if it is plastic then you don't have an anode rod and don't need one.
    Mine has the anode; actually just put a new one in my first time out earlier this season. My unit is definitely a Suburban.
    Last edited by Keebler; 04-07-2021 at 06:11 AM.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS