User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poor Brake Performance - troubleshooting help needed

We have a 2020 Momentum 320G. We have pulled it around 1000 miles. I am not at all happy with the brake performance. I have to have the brake controller in my 2017 F350 set to max to be comfortable.

I have checked the brake adjustment on all 4 wheels and they are adjusted properly. Yesterday I tested each wheel by pulling the emergency brake cable and 3 of the 4 wheels lock up as they should. The right front wheel does not. It has some drag but i can still turn it by hand.

The electrical connections are good.

Anybody have suggestions on the next step? Being a new dexter axle it should not have the dreaded grease issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.barnett71 View Post
    We have a 2020 Momentum 320G. We have pulled it around 1000 miles. I am not at all happy with the brake performance. I have to have the brake controller in my 2017 F350 set to max to be comfortable.

I have checked the brake adjustment on all 4 wheels and they are adjusted properly. Yesterday I tested each wheel by pulling the emergency brake cable and 3 of the 4 wheels lock up as they should. The right front wheel does not. It has some drag but i can still turn it by hand.

The electrical connections are good.

Anybody have suggestions on the next step? Being a new dexter axle it should not have the dreaded grease issue.

Any help would be appreciated.
    When you say the electrical connections are good, did you measure the current with a clamp meter on the wheel that will not lock up and compare it to the ones that do? Connection might seem good but there could be a bad wire not allowing full current to the magnet or a bad magnet.

There is also a troubleshooting section in the dexter manual that you can find here. That would be first place to start.

https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa....pdf?sfvrsn=10

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    When you say the electrical connections are good, did you measure the current with a clamp meter on the wheel that will not lock up and compare it to the ones that do? Connection might seem good but there could be a bad wire not allowing full current to the magnet or a bad magnet.

There is also a troubleshooting section in the dexter manual that you can find here. That would be first place to start.

https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa....pdf?sfvrsn=10

Rob
    I took the connection to that wheel apart so that i could check voltage and i measured the resistance of the magnet coil. It reads 3.2 ohms which from what i have read is in the good range.

I have not checked current draw.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the connection to that wheel apart so that i could check voltage and i measured the resistance of the magnet coil. It reads 3.2 ohms which from what i have read is in the good range.

I have not checked current draw.
    Sounds like magnet and wiring is good. If the resistance is what it should be and you are getting good voltage that all seems to be good and probably don't need to check current.

The only other things I can think of are greased brake pads or something not put together right. Might have to pull the hub to confirm.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be the size of the wire powering the brakes. When I replaced all my brake assemblies due to greased brakes, I replaced the wire coming from the 7 way plug all the way back to the brakes with 12awg wire. I noticed a pretty decent change in performance. I usually keep my brake controller around 6 now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulled the drum and it is full of grease!! Looks like the Dexter axles are not immune to the bad grease seals. I will be contacting my dealer and Grand Design tomorrow. I need parts ASAP. We leave on vacation Saturday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drum 2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	20784Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drum 1.jpg 
Views:	44 
ID:	20785Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brake 2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	20786Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brake 1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	20787

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve,

It looks like there are two types of grease in your pictures. Red and black. This might indicate that the zerk fitting was used to over-grease the hub.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Steve,

It looks like there are two types of grease in your pictures. Red and black. This might indicate that the zerk fitting was used to over-grease the hub.

Rob
    I think the black you are seeing is grease and dirt / brake dust mixed. Bearings only have one type of grease in them.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the black you are seeing is grease and dirt / brake dust mixed. Bearings only have one type of grease in them.
    It would be interesting to pull the zerk to see if there is grease in that passage. (The zerk is not used in production assembly).

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulled the drum and it is full of grease!! Looks like the Dexter axles are not immune to the bad grease seals. I will be contacting my dealer and Grand Design tomorrow. I need parts ASAP. We leave on vacation Saturday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drum 2.jpg 
Views:	41 
ID:	20784Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drum 1.jpg 
Views:	44 
ID:	20785Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brake 2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	20786Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brake 1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	20787
    Glad you found it. I would have the dealer check all the others too. Just because you couldn't move them by hand with the breakaway switch pulled doesn't necessarily mean that they don't have an issue too. Even with 3 brakes you should have reasonable braking power. I had one brake go out on my previous Rockwood and trailer still stopped pretty good. Did notice a difference though when the dealer replaced the axle and missed hooking up one complete side of the brakes.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast