User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian,
    I just put a dial switch between my EMS and the breaker box. My dial switch had 3 poles, so I can completely isolate the EMS from the breakers. Like I said, I don't know if this is really necessary, but I tend to play it safe, especially when I am doing something new. My inverter is tied directly into a 20A breaker (I had an extra space), so when it is time for me to go off shore power, I turn off the switch (EMS), turn off the 50A breaker for side of the circuits I don't need, and turn on the 20A breaker and the inverter. In the morning when the batteries are down I will crank up the generator and run it for a couple of hours until the batteries recharge. I believe you said you had solar panels, so you wouldn't need the generator. I thought about the solar panels, but I don't plan on doing a lot of boondocking, so I decided to forgo that option. I tested it one time this winter, and 2 12v batteries ran the furnace, lights, dvd player, tv, wife, and a lamp all night and I still had power the next morning, although I noticed the lights got brighter when I switched back to shore power!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jim and Judy in a Ram 2500 towing a
    2015 Reflection 29RS with modifications

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    My answer is that the simplest solution for you would be to install your inverter and then plug your trailer directly into the inverter and turn off the converter. You won't need to worry about your surge protector although it wouldn't be needed, it shouldn't "interfere".

EDIT: I just noticed you were still undecided on the inverter but you did say you want to able to run your coffee maker so be sure to check that you are getting one that will handle it. I know that our 1,000 watt pure sine wave inverter will NOT run the coffee maker.

Also, In our 2015, I ALSO need to manually switch my Norcold to LP or it will definitely suck my batteries down running it on full electric.
    Paul
    Are you saying that to get the inverter that was supplied for our residential refrigerator to power other circuits in the Solitude, all I need to do is run a cord to the inverter from the outside trailer 50 amp input for the rig? So; from 20A adapter plugged into 50A outlet on outside of rig to outlet on the back of the inverter with most breaker off including WH and converter. Does that sound correct? KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Paul
    Are you saying that to get the inverter that was supplied for our residential refrigerator to power other circuits in the Solitude, all I need to do is run a cord to the inverter from the outside trailer 50 amp input for the rig? So; from 20A adapter plugged into 50A outlet on outside of rig to outlet on the back of the inverter with most breaker off including WH and converter. Does that sound correct? KEN
    Well Ken I don't know. I'm not sure how a factory inverter is set up and have never really thought about it. It would seem to me that there's nothing magical or mysterious about the factory inverter so it's probably very possible to set it up to power other circuits but it might be more reasonable to just add a dedicated inverter for the other circuits you want to power and, of course, work on your battery bank (I'm not sure what you have currently).

Do you know how many watts a factory inverter is? I would assume they are designed to just run the residential fridge but even with just the fridge running your battery bank would need to be significant to run for long off the inverter plus other circuits.

It will be interesting to see what the gurus around here have to say about this as I don't think I've read where someone has thought about or done this.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2018 374TH-R Solitude. This is what the mess looks like.

I was hoping to just plug into the inverter and the power cord. The inverter is hard-wired to a cord that is plugged into a single outlet on the wall in the picture. I believe it's also the pass-thru power if the refrigerator is on AC. I tested for power with the inverter on and the cord unplugged and there was no power. I think it completes a safety circuit for the inverter with the cord plugged in. The outlet it's plugged into, is a double outlet with one side blocked out and not usable.

Why they have to make it so complicated, I don't know. It just as bad a the new Whirlpool washers and dryer I have to work on at work.
    The inverter for the Samsung Refrigerator is 1000W. I have 2 group 31 deep cycle batteries. I'm thinking about going to 2 or 4 Lionenergy Lithium batteries in the long term future.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok now I'm even more confused...I was reading in another forum that in order for your 12V systems to work you had to have a working converter. So if I plug my shore power directly into the "inverter" and turn off the converter breaker and any other breakers I do not plan on using will my 12V systems still work with the "converter" breaker off?

Sorry everyone about all of the questions; just trying to figure out the best options.
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reeldirtydawg View Post
    Ok now I'm even more confused...I was reading in another forum that in order for your 12V systems to work you had to have a working converter. So if I plug my shore power directly into the "inverter" and turn off the converter breaker and any other breakers I do not plan on using will my 12V systems still work with the "converter" breaker off?

Sorry everyone about all of the questions; just trying to figure out the best options.
    Yes, your batteries are then supplying the 12V while the converter is powered off.
    Last edited by gbkims; 07-18-2019 at 12:56 AM.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I'm thinking about going to 2 or 4 Lionenergy Lithium batteries in the long term future.
    In case you missed this posted by @bcdiesel in another thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJaK...ature=youtu.be
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    In case you missed this posted by @bcdiesel in another thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJaK...ature=youtu.be
    I saw that Mark. The weight verse power is still great. KEN
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gene...thank you for the response.

Still a bit confused on the actual converter operation, I know it charges the batteries but I thought it also converted 120V to 12 V DC? So if its not working or turned off the systems(slides, lights) will just use the batteries?
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reeldirtydawg View Post
    Gene...thank you for the response.

Still a bit confused on the actual converter operation, I know it charges the batteries but I thought it also converted 120V to 12 V DC? So if its not working or turned off the systems(slides, lights) will just use the batteries?
    The converter does both, it converts(rectifies) 120VAC to 12VDC and charges the batteries at the same time.
    You can run your equipment(inverter, slides, lights, frig, etc) off your batteries till they need recharging again.

The converters are like combo power supplies and 3 or 4 stage battery chargers.

So, reminds me when we used to power small equipment sites with backup batteries.
    We'd install a power supply with adjustable voltage, set the DC voltage just high enough to trickle charge the batteries and power the equipment at the same time. But we had to add High Voltage & Low Voltage Shutdown relays so we didn't overcharge or deeply discharge the batteries.
    Last edited by gbkims; 07-18-2019 at 09:27 AM.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123