User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottandBobbi View Post
    The only running lights that come on are the front two one on each side, and both are dim. I've put new bulbs in all of them and still only the front two until the pop the fuse.

I do see what your saying but if they are not on how could i tell? I just dread taking the bottom off the rv, but it seems like im going to have to at any rate?
    I'm guessing the tail/running light wire insulation has rubbed thru on some part of the frame where several of the wires are draped over and thru frame.
    From pin box junction box the wires on mine run to the driver side frame, thru the propane compartment in split loom, to front compartment and then down into underbelly and run thru several parts of the frame on the way to the lights.
    The rear lights run up thru the floor into side cabinets, thru the rear wall and then to the lights.

Green wire is what I have at pin box junction box and back to the Running/Marker/Tail lights.
    So 7-way cable to junction box to the connector in junction box, to running/marker light wires.

Couple of photos of wires running thru different parts of the frame (truss, rear stabilizer, frame web)
    Driver Side:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7-Way & Junction Box Diagram.pdf  
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THanks Ill have to do this one way or the other, our trip starts the 10th October so I gotta get on it. Unless I drive only in the daytime lol. So any links to vid or directions how to take the bottom drape or whatever protects the underbelly?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THanks Ill have to do this one way or the other, our trip starts the 10th October so I gotta get on it. Unless I drive only in the daytime lol. So any links to vid or directions how to take the bottom drape or whatever protects the underbelly?
    Some links on when it's dropped:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post263827
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post217978
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...derbelly-cover
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just purchased a 2017 Grand Design Reflection 5th Wheel. While inspecting at the dealer the only running lights that worked were the front two one on each side Yellow, but they were very dim. Then they went out. The diagnosis was my truck fuse. I did not have extra fuses so I took the RV home over 2hrs away. I replaced the fuse and they two worked again and were dim. A few minutes later the fuse blew again. I have a 2016 Ram 3500 two vehicle. So I assume I have one of the above issues? Ill check tomorrow using the fuse method shown. Question does the end of the cord get warm to the touch? like luke warm? By cord I mean the umbilical cord that attaches to rv to the truck? I have a trip planned and payed for sites from Ohio to Texas and I leave the 10th of October so hopefully I can fix this issue. Suggestions appreciated. Ill know more tomorrow after the above listed test methods.

I should add that I also pulled a smaller rv with the same truck &pin and everything worked fine. The only issue is running lights the brake lights, 4 ways all work. If that helps.
    Scott, Got your private message but just got back to the RV. You got a dead short in the pin 3 green running lights power wire running through the RV somewhere or any one of the running lights or rear camera if you have one. If you have a rear camera and its power is tied to the running lights it could be causing the short also. You got to find out if a wire is shorted and where. What you want to do to make it easier, is break the running lights circuit down into smaller segments so you can isolate where the short is. Right side, across the back, or left side or at the front.
    In the pin box junction, If you have more than one running lights wire connected to the green wire (pin 3 of the plug) what i would do is cut the running lights power wire at the pin box junction and separate the wires. Check them one at a time for a sort to ground.

If not and only a single spliced green wire in the pin box, follow the wires down from the junction box down in the front storage compartment as someone else advised. As the running lights power wire (green) runs down the right side see if you can find it at the right rear of the RV, or take the tail light out on the right rear and isolate (cut the wire) the wiring (most probably still a green wire), then if you know how to use a multi-meter check resistance for a direct short to ground on the passengers side green wire. If not on the right side - check resistance on the other wire you cut going across the back of the RV and up the left side for the green wire direct short to ground.

If you break the running lights circuit down into smaller / shorter segments you'll be able to find the short, bad light or pinched/frayed wire faster than troubleshooting the whole circuit. If you can find which segment of the running lights wire circuit (right side, back, left side, front) if on one of the sides you may not have to remove the whole underbelly coroplast. Just take a side loose, the running lights wiring should be fairly close to the edge/side as it has to go to the side lights, see if you can see up in there to find the pinched, frayed, rat chewed etc wire. taking one side of the coroplast loose at a time is better than removing and peeling back the whole thing.
    I" think i got my TS info correct, I'm pretty tired we have been hiking all day today in the Smokey's.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 09-28-2021 at 07:53 PM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. I plan on working from the front right back. I though maybe because the front two lights came on that maybe the short was after them but seems the left side would be the end of the circuit. At any rate as much as it pains me I'll start tracing this weekend and hopefully only have to loosen the outer edge to check. I appreciate everyones help. I will keep everyone posted and post photos. Whoever had this RV before me must have camped up north with all this rust and corrosion I see underneath. Nothing seems like it's been lubed. I'm working hard to rectify all this.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,

Here is the update. I used today to get under and explore the RV wile I was lubricating the slides. On the drivers side near the middle running light I noticed wires hanging down a little. I noticed they were green and this got me excited because that's the color for the running lights. I found two green wires splice to a black wire that was grounded to the frame. The black wire seemed like it got hot at some point and melted the coating a bit, and also melted into the two green wires. I cut the green wires and black wire, and turned my parking lights on....the front two lights came on bright and so I rewired them and the black ground. After that I turned the parking lights on only to have the two dim again and blow a fuse. A hunch told me to splice the two green wires and disconnect the ground altogether.... I did this and bingo all the running lights worked except the one were the wires were because they removed the light bulb and its guts to wire whatever they were wiring. Altogether I replaced my 7 way, the RV cable and junction box. Then I saw these wires and it was the issue. See pictures of the cluster.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211005_150021850.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	37046

Name:	PXL_20211005_152239308.MP.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	37047

Name:	PXL_20211005_155547050.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	37048

Thank you to everyone for the help.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,

Here is the update. I used today to get under and explore the RV wile I was lubricating the slides. On the drivers side near the middle running light I noticed wires hanging down a little. I noticed they were green and this got me excited because that's the color for the running lights. I found two green wires splice to a black wire that was grounded to the frame. The black wire seemed like it got hot at some point and melted the coating a bit, and also melted into the two green wires. I cut the green wires and black wire, and turned my parking lights on....the front two lights came on bright and so I rewired them and the black ground. After that I turned the parking lights on only to have the two dim again and blow a fuse. A hunch told me to splice the two green wires and disconnect the ground altogether.... I did this and bingo all the running lights worked except the one were the wires were because they removed the light bulb and its guts to wire whatever they were wiring. Altogether I replaced my 7 way, the RV cable and junction box. Then I saw these wires and it was the issue. See pictures of the cluster.

snip

Thank you to everyone for the help.
    Glad you found the problem. Makes you wonder why anyone would ground out a power wire. these issues is how we all gain experience, now if you have another light or wiring problem, you'll have this experience to fall back on.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree. I'm still trying to figure out why they would do this. Why would you take the running light power cut it in half and ground both ends to the frame? It looks like they pulled out the running light, cut the wire and grounded it... I'm just puzzled. I'm happy because I leave this weekend for Texas, from Ohio,.but still dumbfounded. I guess if I look at it in a positive light I can say I replace everything related to the issue, junction box, 7 way cable, my trucks 7 way. Also found wires to my electric breaks frayed and fixed those, replaced all the tires, purchased a TPMS, and a back up camera/monitor etc etc. The list goes on. Just anxious about the long trip and needed to make sure everything was safe. Also found the quick grease connection on one of my tires was missing... So I repacked and replaced.
    Anyways I digress... I just wanted to thank all those here who helped. Thank you so much.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree. I'm still trying to figure out why they would do this. Why would you take the running light power cut it in half and ground both ends to the frame? It looks like they pulled out the running light, cut the wire and grounded it... I'm just puzzled. I'm happy because I leave this weekend for Texas, from Ohio,.but still dumbfounded. I guess if I look at it in a positive light I can say I replace everything related to the issue, junction box, 7 way cable, my trucks 7 way. Also found wires to my electric breaks frayed and fixed those, replaced all the tires, purchased a TPMS, and a back up camera/monitor etc etc. The list goes on. Just anxious about the long trip and needed to make sure everything was safe. Also found the quick grease connection on one of my tires was missing... So I repacked and replaced.
    Anyways I digress... I just wanted to thank all those here who helped. Thank you so much.
    Good luck and safe trip. Seems like you got it ready to go. Where in Texas are you headed? We visit the family up in Ind (Kokomo) and Ohio (Dayton)for the holidays then head to Texas for the winter. Headed south we stop first at Marion Illinois to overnight, second stop is just outside Little Rock, third day we can make it to Livingston TX just north of Houston. Stay for a couple weeks then head down to Galveston or Corpus Cristi. San Antonio is great over the hoildays, the river walk at xmas time is great. Have a great time in Texas!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a home in NE Ohio near the Pennsylvania border. My kids live in Austin, TX and Beaumont, Tx. The wife and I got married at the Alamo in San Antonio...it's our favorite by far. I was stationed there twice while in the Army. We will be stopping in Cave City, KY, then Hot Springs, Arkansas, then to Canyon Lake, Tx just north of San Antonio. We are camping at the military campground at Jacobs Creek. It's very cost effective for $150.00 a week full hook ups. Hopefully we will be doing this every year but staying the entire winter down south. If so didn't own my house we would be gone already lol.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast