User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frozen nuts to shackle straps

Hello,

I have a 2019 Momentum 397TH and I noticed while lubing the slide rails one of my shackle straps had failed. I'm trying to remove the bolts to replace the straps however the bolts are frozen (both on the equalizer and the leaf springs). I've tried the usual (penetrating oil, tapping on the nut, etc.) to no avail. Has anyone had this problem before and if so, any tricks for someone not exactly mechanically inclined?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5527.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	47111

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the title, it almost sounds like it could be one of our Canadian winter pastimes. Sometimes February can get cold and long.
    You could grind off one side of the bolt or use a torch to heat up the nuts.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha! I didn't even realize what I'd said until your comment. It certainly would make for an interesting sport.

I'm staying away from the torch because I don't feel like having an unwanted campfire under the rig, and cutting is a last resort since I'm nowhere near a location where replacement wet bolts are readily available. Have you had any luck with freezing?

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not all penetrating oils are the same, have you tried Kano Kroil?
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also try a bit of heat too.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you access to power tools, like an impact wrench? Or are you working with small hand tools? Long breaker bar and/or an impact wrench should break things loose.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DO NOT use a ratchet, though. You will break the internal workings. A socket on a breaker bar may work. A heavy-duty impact may also work. I'm with you on the cutting torch. No fires for me.

If you have a Sawz-all or similar tool you might try cutting one of the nuts or the bolt head (whichever is easier to get to) and see if you can get it loose that way. A hacksaw would also work, but that's a lot of elbow grease.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impact gun should free it up, make sure to use it on the nut side, the bolt side is knurled and almost like a press fit. I'd recommend upgrading to heavy duty shackles to prevent this happening to other shackles. It will require new bolts as well.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikesbrewsnviews View Post
    Hello,

I have a 2019 Momentum 397TH and I noticed while lubing the slide rails one of my shackle straps had failed. I'm trying to remove the bolts to replace the straps however the bolts are frozen (both on the equalizer and the leaf springs). I've tried the usual (penetrating oil, tapping on the nut, etc.) to no avail. Has anyone had this problem before and if so, any tricks for someone not exactly mechanically inclined?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5527.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	47111
    To eco on what @FT4NOW says. Only apply the breaker bar to the nut side, and do not spin the bolt or you will have a mess, but as this is a shackle it really wont matter. Heating the nut with a small map gas touch (HD yellow cylinder) cold help.

MORryde makes an excellent wet bolt and HD shackle kit. https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=shackle+kits Includes everything you need. Just be sure to get the correct one based on your existing shackle length (2.25 or 3 1/8). I did a write up on the GD web site when I replaced my axles (6K) on a Reflection 220rk.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...de/MR46ZR.html
    https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...de/MR76ZR.html

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar