User Tag List

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grey Water Leak When Valve Open

I am having some grey tank water leakage. If I open the grey valve, and leave the rhino valve on the external pipe closed, I will get water leaking from the under belly. When the grey tank is closed, there is no leaking. I'm hesitant to tear down the underbelly as I'm not sure what I will find, or how to put it back up correctly.

The tank will leak even during draining. I noticed on my way back from Florida this summer, the underbelly was leaking water and a bad small was coming into the RV.

Any tips/advice on how to diagnose/fix this without damaging anything?
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll need access to the underbelly. Based on your description, I'd think the flange to valve gasket on the downstream side of the valve is where your leak is located unless of course the discharge pipe itself has a leak somewhere.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    You'll need access to the underbelly. Based on your description, I'd think the flange to valve gasket on the downstream side of the valve is where your leak is located unless of course the discharge pipe itself has a leak somewhere.
    I'm going to dig into this once we leave the jersey shore. No way I'm crawling in the mud in the middle of the forest. I think I'm going to combine my grey tanks at the same time. Maybe I'll take a video to post and help others out as I do it.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with @FT4NOW on this. It seems you should be able to drop a few feet of the underbelly material only on one side where the discharge pipe exits, and get a view of where the leak is occurring. You will have to free up the underbelly where the foam insulation is around the pipe. Other than that, should not be a big job to at least see what's going on.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    I am having some grey tank water leakage. If I open the grey valve, and leave the rhino valve on the external pipe closed, I will get water leaking from the under belly. When the grey tank is closed, there is no leaking. I'm hesitant to tear down the underbelly as I'm not sure what I will find, or how to put it back up correctly.

The tank will leak even during draining. I noticed on my way back from Florida this summer, the underbelly was leaking water and a bad small was coming into the RV.

Any tips/advice on how to diagnose/fix this without damaging anything?
    Been there and done all of what you need to do. A few tips:

Before you go to inspect/repair the issue, would determine which length of valve+line your RV uses and purchase atleast one new one prior. Would also purchase new sets of gaskets for each tank valve too. That way you arent waiting for parts to complete the repair and letting in any critters during... A call to GD parts will get you the info yoy need for your RV.

Once you drop the coroplast and fix the issue would then replace ALL other valve gaskets while its down.

Would also keep a few extra gasket sets and a spare valve+line for any future issues after the fix.

As for removing/reinstalling the coroplast, get a movable floor jack or transmission jack. I prefer the tranny jack cause it has a large flat jack head to support the center of the coroplast with while inserting/removing screws.

I have had to remove my coroplast several times and I can do it easily by myself using a moveable tranny jack to help lift the coroplast. The other nice thing about a rolling tranny jack is that its light weight and compress down so that it can be easily lifted and stored in your TV. When/If we start fulltiming, will keep ours in the bed of my TV for such issues.

Here is are the parts we used plus the tranny jack:

Valve+line:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gasket set:

Rolling Tranny jack:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb...nsmission+jack

Would even get a few of these too... had them break on me before:

Happy Trails!
    Last edited by trailrydr; 08-18-2023 at 11:40 AM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Been there and done all of what you need to do. A few tips:

Before you go to inspect/repair the issue, would determine which length of valve+line your RV uses and purchase atleast one new one prior. Would also purchase new sets of gaskets for each tank valve too. That way you arent waiting for parts to complete the repair and letting in any critters during... A call to GD parts will get you the info yoy need for your RV.

Once you drop the coroplast and fix the issue would then replace ALL other valve gaskets while its down.

Would also keep a few extra gasket sets and a spare valve+line for any future issues after the fix.

As for removing/reinstalling the coroplast, get a movable floor jack or transmission jack. I prefer the tranny jack cause it has a large flat jack head to support the center of the coroplast with while inserting/removing screws.

I have had to remove my coroplast several times and I can do it easily by myself using a moveable tranny jack to help lift the coroplast. The other nice thing about a rolling tranny jack is that its light weight and compress down so that it can be easily lifted and stored in your TV. When/If we start fulltiming, will keep ours in the bed of my TV for such issues.

Here is are the parts we used plus the tranny jack:

Valve+line:

Gasket set:

Rolling Tranny jack:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb...nsmission+jack

Would even get a few of these too... had them break on me before:

Happy Trails!
    Thank you for such an in depth response. I am in the jersey shore for the next 2 weeks and when I get home I will begin this process. I had to cut 3 holes in the underbelly to let the water out for now as there's nothing else I can do. The ground is soaked in nasty grey tank water with who knows what bacteria in it, and still leaking. I plan on hopefully putting this all back together better than it was sold to me by GD. I've had multiple issues with this 5th wheel and it really isn't standing up to GD standards from reviews.
    Ed & Kaitlin