User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bottle jack?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be looking at a compact, i.e. short, bottle jack. You want to be sure whatever you use is going to be short enough to get under the axle, at the U-bolts. Always buy over the rated weight you think you'll use.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    The jack from your tow vehicle might work.
    That's what I use.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I think should be mentioned for the original poster (OP) and anyone reading, a bottle jack is great for some things but they tend to have a small square or rectangle ground foot print and just a small round flat top, unless the bottle jack is huge, easy to slip off a round axle tube, unless you have some type of top cradle for it like was posted. especially with passing vehicles rocking the RV if along the road, a bottle jack could slip.

The jacks/stands like I included tend to have a broad square foot print and a cradle top to fit around the axle tube, more stable with passing traffic. Even truck jacks have a small square or rectangle foot print but they do tend to have some type of small cradle top that will cradle the axle tube. Our 1 ton Ram truck jack is very small with a very small ground foot print.

Just something to think about.

Additionally I have seen RVers dual purpose their tire jacks and use them as middle stabilizer jacks if their RV gets the wiggles.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 05-20-2022 at 08:29 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    Some people have reported that with the Trailer Aid, they were not able to get the tire that needs to come off to clear the ground for removal. I suppose it's due to the flex in the suspension, and that other axle not rising.
    I found with my Trailer Aid I had to add a 2x6 on the bottom to provide enough clearance to change a tire. I carry mine all the time since it takes up less space than my hydraulic jack. I would suggest that you avoid using your truck jack as that thing is inadequate for trailer use.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnww View Post
    I found with my Trailer Aid I had to add a 2x6 on the bottom to provide enough clearance to change a tire. I carry mine all the time since it takes up less space than my hydraulic jack. I would suggest that you avoid using your truck jack as that thing is inadequate for trailer use.
    The funny thing is I got some really nice jacks at home that I used when I worked on my Jeep. They are beasts for sure and way to heavy to be hauling around. I will look around at the different options. I even have some tire ramps here. That is like the device stated.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just measured, that jack will not work. Minimum is 11". 9" would be better 10" may be pushing it. But now that I know what I am looking for I am good.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is also the Trailer-Aid “Plus” that has an extra 1” lift compared to the Trailer-Aid.

That’s what we carry. On level ground I can get a couple of inches clearance with our 22mle without wood underneath. But I do carry a couple pieces of wood in case I need more lift.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-T...h=1&pldnSite=1
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    There is also the Trailer-Aid “Plus” that has an extra 1” lift compared to the Trailer-Aid.

That’s what we carry. On level ground I can get a couple of inches clearance with our 22mle without wood underneath. But I do carry a couple pieces of wood in case I need more lift.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-T...h=1&pldnSite=1
    I got time so I will do research. The one jack everyone suggests is a bottle jack with a built in jack stand. If I wanted to go that route I could do a bottle jack and stand.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harbor Freight has some low profile bottle jacks that are less than 8" tall. And around $50. Heavy though.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Harbor Freight has some low profile bottle jacks that are less than 8" tall. And around $50. Heavy though.
    I have a floor jack that I may use. Not too heavy and it does 2.5 tons. Should be enough. I am not towing a massive trailer.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast