User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Goosebox or B&W Companion Provide More Articulation?

Picked up a 2021 F450 yesterday. Now looking at a couple of Solitudes to replace our travel trailer. We will keep the new rig on our property. Our driveway entrance is a right turn with a fairly steep angle down from a narrow gravel road. I have some concern when making the turn that bed rail clearance may be an issue since it’s an off camber turn (is that the correct term?). Is there any difference in articulation on such a turn between the Goosebox and a conventional 5th wheel hitch like the Companion?
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    Picked up a 2021 F450 yesterday. Now looking at a couple of Solitudes to replace our travel trailer. We will keep the new rig on our property. Our driveway entrance is a right turn with a fairly steep angle down from a narrow gravel road. I have some concern when making the turn that bed rail clearance may be an issue since it’s an off camber turn (is that the correct term?). Is there any difference in articulation on such a turn between the Goosebox and a conventional 5th wheel hitch like the Companion?
    I believe that the goose box will provide more articulation as it is connected to a ball which provides more all around movement capability. I am sure someone with more experience will chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compared to common 5th wheel hitches (not bocu-buck bagged hitches), towing goose will provide more multi-axis rotation. That can both be helpful and hurtful if you really have a screwy angle of ascent plus turn off a flat. Use a spotter in those instances and alter approach angle of combination and turn of the tow vehicle as necessary.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too loose sleep over this issue: goosebox or conventional hitch. My 2020 F350, advertised as having a lower bed rail height, still has vertical (top of bed rail) and horizontal (inside of bed rail, with tonneau cover hardware installed) clearance concerns.
    At a 90 degree (or close to it) I have heard of hitch collision with tonneau cover hardware. The vertical clearance is easy to explain, but the horizontal clearance is difficult to explain and get meaningful data. I guess I'll have to live with it and hopefully get some good sleep.

Rig: 2017 Reflection 367BHS
    Tow vehicle: 2020 F350 CC 6.7l Platinum SRW LB

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    I suspect, that contact with the cab of the truck would happen before you run out of "articulation" with either hitch. I have a similar turn in to my driveway.....a tight turn onto a downhill gravel road. I have approx. 7 1/2" of bed rail clearance on my setup and the very first time I brought the trailer home, I wasn't sure I was going to make it. I had my wife and a neighbor spotting for me as I inched down from the main road to the gravel driveway. One person kept an eye on the tail swing, and the other one kept an eye on the bed rail clearance. At the lowest point, I was down to approx. 2 1/2" of bed clearance, but it was a very slow....a couple of feet at a time...process until I knew that everything would clear and I could continue on.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Articulation

I did a little simulation. I thought the Goosebox would contact the bed rail before the traditional hitch. But YMMV
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Articulation1.PNG 
Views:	22 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	32866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Articulation2.PNG 
Views:	28 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	32865

Rig: 2017 Reflection 367BHS
    Tow vehicle: 2020 F350 CC 6.7l Platinum SRW LB

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the responses on this. I had similar worries as OP. Where are you guys finding the best place price wise to get a new Goosebox?
    2021 RAM 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Cummins
    2021 Solitude 3550BH-R w/factory solar

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNerd View Post
    Thanks all for the responses on this. I had similar worries as OP. Where are you guys finding the best place price wise to get a new Goosebox?
    Bought mine through an eBay seller connected to Keystone. Gen 2 was drop shipped direct to dealer. Best price anywhere by $150.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just purchased mine. Best price I could find was Tow Universe. No tax and free shipping as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gen-Y Gooseneck conversion is another option for you if you do not want to mess with an airbag. The new models give greater bedrail clearance on the newer trucks.
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali 3500
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    Gen Y 5th Wheel to Gooseneck Conversion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast