User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    The black tank flush has a backflow/vacuum break in the line. Very little chance anything can get from black tank back to the flush connection.
    excellent, that is what I thought. That means should not be an issue using the quick connect hose already in the system.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
    excellent, that is what I thought. That means should not be an issue using the quick connect hose already in the system.
    We tried using the quick connect hose but we couldn't get the same results as connecting a regular hose to the black tank flush. I think there are too many small fittings with sharp 90 degree turns behind the Nautilus panel that reduce the flow too much. You could have better results though. Doesn't hurt to try, make work well for you.
    Former 2022 Solitude 310GKR w/8K axles & disc brakes, factory solar
    Formerly 2019 Reflection 230RL, 2019 Reflection 320MKS, and 2015 Outback Terrain 230TRS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pawsitivedivetraining View Post
    We tried using the quick connect hose but we couldn't get the same results as connecting a regular hose to the black tank flush. I think there are too many small fittings with sharp 90 degree turns behind the Nautilus panel that reduce the flow too much. You could have better results though. Doesn't hurt to try, make work well for you.
    Thanks for letting me know, I will give it a test today and see how it does. I did try screwing it in and see no problems. I will give you a test today and report back to this thread.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not talking about my fresh water hose. I am talking about the blue coil hose that came with the coach. It is for the external shower. It currently has garden nozzle on it. I rarely use my outdoor shower, the hose would be perfect for the black tank flush.
    The problem with using this hose for the black tank flush is that the flow is very restricted (only 1/4 inch port opening) and you won't get enough water flow to properly flush out the black tank.

It is best to use a full 3/4 garden hose for the tank flush. I choose to use a separate hose for this purpose, not my fresh water hose.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the hose I use for black tank flush. It’s only use is to flush the black tank. Can’t miss the color.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGW1NGD/

Our fresh water hoses are Blue.

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a good point. I was kinda thinking the same. According to the manual you should not put a backflow prevented on that valve. So the RV manufacture says no check valve on that line. That got me thinking. For years I was told to carry two hoses. People get worried about back flow, but if you look at the the normal Y connector used from the campground, there is no backflow check valve to the source. Technically using the same logic, one could get cross contamination in that Y valve. You plug in your grey hose from the last use into the Y and the bacteria gets in the Y itself. Using that old blue campco 100 micron filter, will not help you down the fresh water line. Thing is that I carried two hoses for years without thinking about it much, but I am not sure I gained any safety by doing so. To deepen the mystery for me, as I read the instructions from the wet bay system both the city water and black water flush have a check valve built into them. There are specific instructions about now pressing the valve inside those connections. If that is the case, that is why the manufactures are saying do not add an addition check valve.
    In some counties in Florida and possibly elsewhere, regulations require you or the campground to have a backflow preventer at the point at which your hose connects to the park water supply. That supposedly ensures that no matter what you do at the other end of your hose, nothing bad can flow back into the communal water system. I use them because in some places I have to but they don't protect me, they protect everyone else from me.

The City Water input on our trailers has a check valve in it, but the Black Flush does not.

The City Water check valve exists foremost to keep fresh water in your trailer's plumbing when you're dry camping, otherwise your pump would pump all your fresh water out the City Water input. However the check valve would also prevent contaminated water inside your trailer plumbing system from coming out into the hose.

The check valve is located just inside the cone screen on the City Water inlet. Sometimes - often while winterizing - people do want to press that check valve open to make it easier for the system to suck antifreeze in past the valve and into the trailer's plumbing. (People often reverse the cone screen so that the cone holds the valve partially-open.) However the warning in documentation is against pushing that valve open when there is water pressure inside the trailer's plumbing, because doing so can displace the seal on the valve.

The Black Flush has a vacuum break valve rather than a check valve, which is a different animal. It's installed in the trailer, often up behind the shower wall, such that it's quite a bit higher up than either the black flush input or the flush nozzle in the tank - the two ends of the black flush system. When water pressure is applied the valve permits the water to flow through to the flush nozzle. However when water pressure is removed the valve "breaks" and water on the "dirty" side gravity-flows down through the flush nozzle into the tank while water on the clean side gravity-flows back out the inlet.

As long as the hose is removed right after the water is turned off, only clean water flows back out and the risk of any contamination from it is almost non-existent. As you said above nothing - including a backflow preventer, and including leaving a hose attached - should ever be allowed to prevent that clean water from flowing back out the black flush inlet because if it's trapped in there there's a small chance of it becoming pathogenic.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Just guessing but it could be no one has done this because there is no check valve preventing back flow.
    Then again, I don’t see how it could backflip unless you fill the black completely full. Seems like a good idea.
    People probably don't do it because there's not much water volume available through that hose, and effective flushing is all about volume and pressure.

When there's a good 5/8" or 3/4" hose supplying fresh water to the trailer, that's a better bet for flushing.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark (and DMB) there is a plunger type check valve incorporated in the black plastic vacuum break provided by GD in the black tank flush system.
    Last edited by JCR GD; 06-10-2020 at 12:37 PM.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll get more work from your black flush if you use a "real" hose to supply better volume and pressure to it.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just FYI... an example of a similar part

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vac check.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	27163
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast