User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredJon2017! View Post
    I'm still using the Anderson hitch. I raised the ball height in the hitch but still have a clearance issue with the bed of the truck. This reduces my turning radius when pulling or positioning the fifth wheel. I have an F350 Diesel long bed quad cab that pulls the Solitude model 344GK effortlessly. Jealous of the guy in the YouTube video with his GD Momemtum turning at ninety degrees to position and park without any problem clearing the truck bed walls with the gooseneck. Alternative is a different hitch that is apparently much heavier. I can easily install the Anderson hitch myself.
    If you go with a true goose neck hitch like https://www.reeseprod.com/products/p...notJoVbxIFMqvl the only thing you remove from the bed is the ball.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking at this thread with great interest. I'd really love to get a new hitch so I can take back the space in my bed. The Ford/Reese 27.5 OEM hitch is just too darn heavy and bulky for me to remove by myself.

I'm debating between the AUH and the Reese Goosebox Gen 2. The Reese is quite a bit more money. Is it any "better"? It would seem to stress the frame more than the AUH since the connection point is lower, and thus has a longer lever arm. But it seems like the ideal "clean" solution. Just install the B&W gooseball when towing, and easily remove it when not.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I'm looking at this thread with great interest. I'd really love to get a new hitch so I can take back the space in my bed. The Ford/Reese 27.5 OEM hitch is just too darn heavy and bulky for me to remove by myself.

I'm debating between the AUH and the Reese Goosebox Gen 2. The Reese is quite a bit more money. Is it any "better"? It would seem to stress the frame more than the AUH since the connection point is lower, and thus has a longer lever arm. But it seems like the ideal "clean" solution. Just install the B&W gooseball when towing, and easily remove it when not.
    The Reese goose box is Lippert/GD approved. The AUH is not. Also do a bit of research on AUH failures - research all hitch failures and note which pops up more on major ones (exclude the bed drops) as they are operational error in most cases.

Now my Reese R20 Titan comes apart in 3 pieces. I believe the B&W does too.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have the Reese Gen 2 and really like it. Very smooth...it has an internal shock system so I believe that alleviates some the stress on the frame you are referring to. Lippert does not void the warranty with the Reese but may do so with the Anderson. Anderson has an insurance policy to make up for the fact that lippert will void the warranty, but I wasn’t interested in the hoops they make you go through if you needed to file a claim. I very much like my clean bed and the fact that I do not have the added weight in my truck. Good luck!
    2020 Solitude 2930RL-R 2019 Ford F350 SRW SB 6.7L Powerstroke

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any issues with bedrail clearance? I know the B&W ball adds 1.5", which I probably need. These current gen Ford Superduties are so tall! I'm 6' tall and I can barley reach over into the bed lol.

Quote Originally Posted by hubie1988 View Post
    i have the Reese Gen 2 and really like it. Very smooth...it has an internal shock system so I believe that alleviates some the stress on the frame you are referring to. Lippert does not void the warranty with the Reese but may do so with the Anderson. Anderson has an insurance policy to make up for the fact that lippert will void the warranty, but I wasn’t interested in the hoops they make you go through if you needed to file a claim. I very much like my clean bed and the fact that I do not have the added weight in my truck. Good luck!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I did read that. I don't know if it's part of a deal Reese made with Lippert, or if there is actual engineering data for that. I suppose we consumers will never know. But the fact that the frame is warrantied with the Reese, is an excellent point.

Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    The Reese goose box is Lippert/GD approved. The AUH is not. Also do a bit of research on AUH failures - research all hitch failures and note which pops up more on major ones (exclude the bed drops) as they are operational error in most cases.

Now my Reese R20 Titan comes apart in 3 pieces. I believe the B&W does too.

Hope this helps

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any issues with bedrail clearance? I know the B&W ball adds 1.5", which I probably need. These current gen Ford Superduties are so tall! I'm 6' tall and I can barley reach over into the bed lol.
    I have a 2019 F350 and it is tall (Ford lowered the F350 with the 2020 Model), but I have 7-8” of rail clearance. That is clearance above the rail I use for my Velcro bed cover, which is a half inch above the truck bed rail. I am using the Reese goose ball. I can’t use the B&W ball because my issue is the front of RV is a little higher than the back end. You have to make sure the shocks in the Reese hitch have enough air, I keep mine between 35-40 psi.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53616637-B4A0-49AF-AB99-3377A15547E0.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	28117

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With your 28BH I highly doubt you’d have any issues whatsoever with the AUH. Yes, there have been some issues in the past with this hitch but every report I’ve seen were on previous versions of the Andersen. Unfortunately for reasons that I cannot grasp, there is a lot of hate out in the RV world for this hitch, 99% of which comes from RV’ers that have never owned the hitch. Hence any reported issue is broadcast wide and far by the haters on social media. Additionally, I’ve never read of any RV frame failures attributed to the AUH despite the internet fear mongering chatter.

All I can say is that I’ve used the AUH for 5 years on our 27RL without issue. I find the benefits of this hitch far and away outweigh the Internet buzzing from Negative Nancy’s.

As far as your Ford sidewall clearance, I cannot comment as I own a ‘16 Ram 3500 LB (which is plenty
    high in and of itself). I might suggest finding a local RV dealer that sells the AUH and have them do a test fit. There are a few adjustable options that can be done, eg, turning the king pin adaptor 180 degrees, ball height adjustment on the hitch frame and even turning the frame 180 degrees. These will move the pivot point which increases both tailgate and siderail clearances.

As your RV is similar is size and weight as ours, I’m sure this hitch will work for you.
    Last edited by minnow101; 07-16-2020 at 07:18 AM.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple more pics showing bed rail clearance and slight angle of RV. Again, this is with the Reese Goose ball. If I had the B&W there would be even more of an angle.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9C8F0559-7355-48C7-91DF-CEA3019F3468.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	28118

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Reese Gen 2 Goosebox on my Reflection 311BHS and the Curt OEM Ram ball/chain binder kit for the factory installed RAM 5th/goose bed kit.

The Goosebox pulls extremely nice, super smooth, and is easy on/off. The only limitation is that similar to my old bumper pull camper and equipment trailer, I am limited to about a 45° turn due to my 6' 4" bed.

Overall I am very happy with the Reese Gen 2 Goose. Sure, being able to cut 90° backwards jack Knife turns would be neat. But I do not expect it to be a big deal and for sure not a deal breaker for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200618_122919.jpg  
    2020.5 Reflection 311BHS Dual AC, 2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Level 2, 3.73 / 392 Hemi 14,404.34 lb towing and 3,004.34 payload, 2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5EB CC/LB, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2014 Wrangler Willys Edition, 2019 Iron Bull 14K 22' Equipment Trailer, 2019 Quality Trailers 7K 18' Utility Trailer

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast