User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

limiting video quality?

I got my Pepwave MAX Transit CAT18 up and running. As I have stated in other posts my hope is the broadcast will reach to the tow vehicle while we are traveling to allow the kids to do virtual school during the drives.

Is there a way to limit the video quality, to say 480P, for their live class room sessions? Two fold in my thought process: 1) I'm likely to be bandwidth limited with 3 kids working at the same time and 2) I would like to preserve data.

I read somewhere either in a post or in one of the articles about a hotspot having a video limiting feature, but unsure of how to do this with the Pepwave.

Any info is appreciated.

Thank you.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you use video editors? I have recently found fastreel one, it's pretty easy to use since it's online. But it provides all the necessary tools. Have you ever used it? You can try it out as well - URL.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been researching this too. So far, it seems you have to set each app or source to limit quality. But I don't have a Pepwave so maybe there is a universal setting you have access to.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raife1 View Post
    I got my Pepwave MAX Transit CAT18 up and running. As I have stated in other posts my hope is the broadcast will reach to the tow vehicle while we are traveling to allow the kids to do virtual school during the drives.

Is there a way to limit the video quality, to say 480P, for their live class room sessions? Two fold in my thought process: 1) I'm likely to be bandwidth limited with 3 kids working at the same time and 2) I would like to preserve data.

I read somewhere either in a post or in one of the articles about a hotspot having a video limiting feature, but unsure of how to do this with the Pepwave.

Any info is appreciated.

Thank you.
    General information: I don't know if the PepWave supports this, however most high dollar, sophisticated, routers have something called Quality of Service or QoS.

If it does, you can configure the amount of bandwidth each MAC address is associated, per protocol. Most video conference streaming, like Zoom, uses UDP. You would have to research what protocol is being used.

I will caution you on the fact that you can really screw up your bandwidth if you don't understand what you are messing with.

I'm a network engineer/system administrator and I still muck things up when dealing with bandwidth. This is why I have a pfSense firewall that I have configured to my liking. I do plan on taking it with us when we go full time, so I get to muck up my network, again!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea from MoonShadow_1911 on looking into QoS.

I don't have much knowledge on these cellular routers. Just got a hold of a Peplink Balance 20X that I've swapped a verizon jetpack SIM into to test and learn about it.
    These look to be fully featured devices with a good configuration interface both locally and with InControl.

It's user manual and the Max Transit's both list QoS and Bandwith control.

Might check their community forum: https://forum.peplink.com/c/product-...pepwave-max/34

Max Transit user manual that I looked in: https://download.peplink.com/manual/...nual-8.1.3.pdf
    18 QoS
    18.1 User Groups
    18.2 Bandwidth Control

Screen shot of my Balance 20X Network>QoS page:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Network - QoS Balance 20X 2021-10-12.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	37175
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank