User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    Here's a rumour I heard from a great shop that installed my Roadmaster slipper spring system: "They don't trailers off the ground with the landing gear because they don't want the frames twisted." Interesting, and if true I've been thinking that it could be done carefully with that in mind, like left or right legs on level ground. Does anyone have comment about this if the question is appropriate in this thread? Thanks.

I wouldn't set up camp that way lifting one side off the ground with the jacks. BUT I would definitely use the jacks to lift one side off of the ground to change a flat tire!

Make sure before lifting off the ground that the lug nuts are broken free and that you have already removed the spare tire from under the vehicle!
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 11-27-2021 at 08:37 PM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The leveling controller can control jacks in pairs or individually as long as the controller believes the rig is “almost” level. It it’s too far out of level the controller won’t allow you to manually adjust jacks.

If you’re in manual mode and the controller won’t allow you to adjust jacks individually or in pairs then you need to perform a “Zero Point Calibration” (from the manual). My system uses the Yellow Controller. The Yellow controller operates 4 electric jacks. There are 2 or 3 other versions of the controller, Salmon and Pink come to mind. My controller is re-zeroed (“Zero Point Calibration”) by turning off the control panel then pressing the “front” button 5 times and then the “rear” button 5 times. The controller will automatically turn on and allow you to you press the “enter” button to re-zero the controller (reset “Zero Point Calibration”). Then the control panel will shut off.

Turn the controller back on and set it to manual mode. Now, because the controller believes the rig is level, it will allow you to operate each jack individually or in pairs until it gets too far out of whack and then it blocks you from running the jacks 1 or 2 at a time. All you have to do is re-zero it again and you can keep adjusting jacks in pairs or individually. When you finally get it level (I use an 8” level stored near the controller), you need to do one final “Zero Point Calibration” so the controller knows what level really is.
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB
    2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a rumour I heard from a great shop that installed my Roadmaster slipper spring system: "They don't trailers off the ground with the landing gear because they don't want the frames twisted." Interesting, and if true I've been thinking that it could be done carefully with that in mind, like left or right legs on level ground. Does anyone have comment about this if the question is appropriate in this thread? Thanks.
    I would agree with that rumor to a point. You don't want to twist the frame, but having wheels off the ground doesn't necessarily mean the frame is twisting.

Not sure how the electric systems work but here is what I know about my hydraulic six jack system:

When in manual mode, if you raise or lower any direction (front, rear, left, right) the system opens an equalizing valve to balance the force on some other pair of jacks. For example, if I raise the right side, the balancing valve on the front jacks opens, effectively giving a center point for the front to rotate around without changing the height of the front. This seems to apply in all directions (raise the front and the left rear pair equalizes and the right rear pair equalizes). This function pretty much eliminates the possibility of the jacks twisting or overloading small areas of the frame.

All that being said, I have no worries operating my hydraulic jacks while the rig is hitched to the truck. Lift one side off the ground to change a tire? The trailer is supported by three points (hitch, tires one one side, jacks on the other) so no twisting.

One final note: I ever use auto level. I operate the system in manual mode every time, because auto mode is occasionally unpredictable.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the reason that they don't give control over individual jacks. I have only ever seen front to back and side to side. It prevents unintentional (or intentional) twisting. I have, on several occasions camped with tires off the ground but I have the 6 point system. I don't know if I would do that with the 4 point. With MorRyde IS, it takes very little now to get the tires off the ground, they don't "hang" anywhere near as much as with the leaf spring suspension.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dump leveling

How about a short 4"x6" plank under the wheels on that side.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @JKellerJr

Maybe not on the 6 point system but they definitely DO give you the ability to operate the jacks individually on the 4 point system.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    @JKellerJr

Maybe not on the 6 point system but they definitely DO give you the ability to operate the jacks individually on the 4 point system.
    I will defer, I have no experience with the 4 point. That is a twisted frame waiting to happen.

Edit: Unless maybe they will amp out prior to putting to much strain on the frame
    Last edited by JKellerJr; 11-29-2021 at 12:29 PM.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12