User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Michigan_Dreaming - There is no hassle with switching to lithium. Only poor planning.

I installed 540Ah of lithium, stock WFCO 9855 converter, separate 60 amp lithium charger, no DC-DC converter, no problems.
    The stock converter on shore power never charges my lithium's past 70% @13.2V.
    After that it sees them as a charged lead acid battery and only trickle charges them.

Two things:
    1. - the Victron link is a great sales/educational video, but let's face it, designed to sell Victron products. Modern autos, have charging systems that are temperature controlled, have computer designed charging algorithims (kept locked away like the ingredients of Coke), and a lead acid battery that buffers any spikes.

2. Unless you're boondocking a lot, or running out battery on short dry camping weekends, don't get sucked down the lithium rabbit hole.
    Just add more capacity either another battery or two 6V golf cart batteries. If you'rw gonna switch... Plan, Plan, Plan

Yeah, if you abuse lead acid batteries, they won't last long, but my generic 12V trolling motor batteries are going on 6 years now (all $250 worth). Good luck.
    2021 Momentum 25G - 2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Gas - 2009 Honda VTX 1300T
    Jack of all trades and master of one :)

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deeuubee View Post
    @Michigan_Dreaming - There is no hassle with switching to lithium. Only poor planning.

I installed 540Ah of lithium, stock WFCO 9855 converter, separate 60 amp lithium charger, no DC-DC converter, no problems.
    After that it sees them as a charged lead acid battery and only trickle charges them.

Two things:
    1. - the Victron link is a great sales/educational video, but let's face it, designed to sell Victron products. Modern autos, have charging systems that are temperature controlled, have computer designed charging algorithims (kept locked away like the ingredients of Coke), and a lead acid battery that buffers any spikes.

2. Unless you're boondocking a lot, or running out battery on short dry camping weekends, don't get sucked down the lithium rabbit hole.
    Just add more capacity either another battery or two 6V golf cart batteries. If you'rw gonna switch... Plan, Plan, Plan

Yeah, if you abuse lead acid batteries, they won't last long, but my generic 12V trolling motor batteries are going on 6 years now (all $250 worth). Good luck.
    Regarding your WFCO 9855.....If the batteries are low enough, you should be seeing a bulk charge voltage of 14.4 for up to 4 hours. Then it should drop down to the absorption mode of 13.6 volts and stay there for approx. 30+ hours, then down to the 13.2 float voltage. as soon as there is any activity on the 12V system.....turning on lights, using a vent fan, etc, the voltage should bump back up to the 13.6 level. That is the way it is supposed to operate.....not saying that yours does, but how it's supposed to work. My point is that between the "up to 4 hrs of bulk charge time" AND the "30+ hours of absorption time", the batteries should be at a higher SOC than 70%.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @xrated - I originally planned on installing a 2000 watt inverter, but decided against it. Hence the 540Ah of lithium.
    Turns out, I'm not a power user. I dry camped for 7 days and only used 50% of battery. When I got to the next camp ground, I just plug in the 60 amp lithium charger for 4-ish hours before bed then disconnect it...done. There is a 12v draw, but the WFCO 8955 never seems to go into absorption. I don't think I use a big enough load to cause that.
    I have a hybrid system. The stock converter charges my lead acid trolling battery just fine while plugged in and by the 7 pin while travelling 6 hours on the road.
    2021 Momentum 25G - 2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Gas - 2009 Honda VTX 1300T
    Jack of all trades and master of one :)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deeuubee View Post

Two things:

This is what I expect out of a WFCO charging Lithium batteries and is in line with what many others have reported.... The problem with WFCOs is that they just do not do what they are supposed to do
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    This is what I expect out of a WFCO charging Lithium batteries and is in line with what many others have reported.... The problem with WFCOs is that they just do not do what they are supposed to do
    Well, given the fact that it seems that many of them do not perform as they are supposed to, I may indeed end up changing out the converter/charger, but I will try it first before I make that decision. I obviously want something to be as trouble free as possible, so if the WFCO isn't up to the task, I'll get the Progressive Lithium converter/charger and replace the WCFO. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but now I'm also aware that it may just not work. Thank you for the info guys, I appreciate it.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stock OEM won't get your lifepo4 batteries near full charge. My unit maintains about a 13.1v charge and with a 300ah battery bank this is about a 60-65% SOC. Eventually I'll have my two Victrons installed... as soon as I find an installer that's worth his salt.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220114-175143_SMART%20BMS.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	38519

Full Timing Family
    2021 Momentum 395MS-R
    2021 Ford F450 King Ranch

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    Stock OEM won't get your lifepo4 batteries near full charge. My unit maintains about a 13.1v charge and with a 300ah battery bank this is about a 60-65% SOC. Eventually I'll have my two Victrons installed... as soon as I find an installer that's worth his salt.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220114-175143_SMART%20BMS.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	38519

Full Timing Family
    2021 Momentum 395MS-R
    I'm going to disagree with that statement. A FULLY functioning stock OEM will charge a LFP battery to very, very close to 100% SOC. If the unit maintains 13.1 volts, it's not a fully functioning charger.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I'm going to disagree with that statement. A FULLY functioning stock OEM will charge a LFP battery to very, very close to 100% SOC. If the unit maintains 13.1 volts, it's not a fully functioning charger.
    You can disagree, but it's not a statement. The stock OEM converter is designed for lead acid batteries. A fully charged lead acid battery voltage is around 12.8v, roughly. A fully charged LiFePo4 battery is at 14.4v. Unless the OEM charger has a way to set for Lithium (like some of the PD models) it will never maintain over a 14v SOC. If that OEM converter tried to maintain a lead acid battery at 14.4v it would burn that battery up.

There's plenty of discussion on the interwebs about this topic.

Full Timing Family
    2021 Momentum 395MS-R

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I will disagree as well. A fully functioning LA charger senses what the battery voltage is in order to deciide which mode to charge at. Since Lithiums maintain a higher voltage than LA batteries thruout most ot their capacity, a fully functioning converter WILL NOT be in the right mode most of the time for Lithiums. In fact one would likely never charge at 14.4 volts as the lithiums will have too high of a voltage unless they are almost empty to trigger that mode.

On edit: I found the voltage that the WFCO needs to"see" in order to go into bulk mode.
    10.75 - 11 volts.
    Click on this Battle Born link to see why that will not work well:
    http://https://1t1pye1e13di20waq11old70-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BB10012-Spec-Sheet.pdf
    Last edited by huntindog; 01-15-2022 at 04:36 AM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the OP's question. You do not need to worry about your alternator just swapping out the battery. You will get about a 7 amp charge current. Where you need to be concerned about your alternator's capabilities and truck wiring is IF you install a DC/DC charger. Put in a 60A DC/DC and it will try to charge close to 60 amps (if the battery can make use of it). Stock wiring and connectors will never safely handle that.
    But there is nothing wrong with dropping in a LiFePO4 and being content with the 7amp stock charging current. Your TV will be fine.
    I would change the trailer converter before I installed a DC/DC.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast