Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worried about sloping driveway

I have a 2022 Reflection 150 series 280RS on order and should arrive in the next few weeks or so. After looking at side view photos, I'm beginning to worry about my sloping driveway. It seems like it's pretty long behind the tires. Can any one tell me the distance between the rear wheel (center of the hub) and the rear of the fifth wheel? Also, the distance from the ground to the bottom of the rear receiver hitch when it's level? I'm hoping it's going to clear without having to install skid rollers.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nadkaw1957 View Post
    I have a 2022 Reflection 150 series 280RS on order and should arrive in the next few weeks or so. After looking at side view photos, I'm beginning to worry about my sloping driveway. It seems like it's pretty long behind the tires. Can any one tell me the distance between the rear wheel (center of the hub) and the rear of the fifth wheel? Also, the distance from the ground to the bottom of the rear receiver hitch when it's level? I'm hoping it's going to clear without having to install skid rollers.

Thanks!
    I don't have the info that you are looking for, but an easy solution is to use some built up boards to flatten out the transition from flat to slope. Solves the driveway issue, but it won't help much elsewhere [emoji6]

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 260 RD and it is about 10’ behind rear axle to rear of unit, my driveway slope is about 6 degrees up slope. Jack hit pavement before I can get in. Have though about putting wood down or alternatively there are nylon panels that the local arborist use to protect grass from there bucket trucks. About $200 for a 2x8 panel which with the price of lumbar may be a viable option
    Tom & Ellen McHugh
    Weldon Spring MO

2021 F350 Crewcab SB 7.3 gas
    GD 150 RD260

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2020 29RS which is identical to yours but I have the bedroom slide. Let me know and I can measure that.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!
    Maybe this will help you. My 5th wheel is one foot shorter at 30' but the dimension on it is 9'6".
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, everyone. I live on a cul-de-sac, so the entrance to the driveway is an arc, and the driveway is on an angle to the arc. I've given a lot of thought to building up the "ditch" with lumber or something, but it's not a straight shot, and between the angle and the arc, it would be difficult to do. I guess I'll have to wait until I actually pick it up and see what happens. I think I'll have a pair of skid rollers on hand, just in case.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    I have a 2020 29RS which is identical to yours but I have the bedroom slide. Let me know and I can measure that.
    They look like they're the same... If you wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate it. Can you also tell me the height from the ground to the lowest point in the rear? Receiver hitch? Jack pad?

Thanks! I appreciate your time.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will do and don't be afraid to remind me to get on it. I got a lot of irons in the fire.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, everyone. I live on a cul-de-sac, so the entrance to the driveway is an arc, and the driveway is on an angle to the arc. I've given a lot of thought to building up the "ditch" with lumber or something, but it's not a straight shot, and between the angle and the arc, it would be difficult to do. I guess I'll have to wait until I actually pick it up and see what happens. I think I'll have a pair of skid rollers on hand, just in case.
    I used to see a lot of travel trailers with the small wheels on the back of the frame to prevent dragging. I don't know that I've ever noticed any on 5th wheels. Guess it's due to the height of the frame off the ground and the placement of the rear axle. I do see your issue with your driveway.

Do you think there would be any problem with the weight of the trailer being placed on those small drag wheels considering how flimsy the frames are on newer trailers? Different from the load on the axles because it is distributed at 3 different points via the spring hangers.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wheels on the back didn't prevent dragging, in fact they usually made it worse because they were a few inches lower than the frame. It just rolled along instead of grinding. Probably not such a good idea, which might be why you don't see them anymore. And larger tires, higher frames have decreased the likelihood of dragging, and that may have helped contribute to their demise.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast