Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using winterizing siphon to fill fresh tank

I have two 20L scepter jerry jugs to fill the fresh tank when it goes empty. They are heavy when full and not enjoyable to try and lift above the gravity fill port. I bought a battery operated pump that functions well with emptying the jugs of water into the gravity fill port, but it's meant for an office water cooler jug, requires someone to keep pushing a button every minute, and it pumps the water slowly. I recently saw a post that describes using the winterize siphon and the outside water port to fill the fresh tank. Any thoughts on whether this is harmful to the pump or is considered improper use of it? I like the idea of using something onboard and would empty the jugs quickly.

I have looked into using a drill pump, but couldn't find one rated for potable water. Same goes for hand pumps.

-Courtney
    2021 Imagine XLS 23bhe
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland v8 4WD | 7,400 tow | 6800 GVWR
    Husky WD 30849 w/ sway control kit | Tekonsha brake controller
    Jeep + driver and 2 passengers = 5,990 | Trailer = 6,520 | Tongue = 760

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjokibbe View Post
    I have two 20L scepter jerry jugs to fill the fresh tank when it goes empty. They are heavy when full and not enjoyable to try and lift above the gravity fill port. I bought a battery operated pump that functions well with emptying the jugs of water into the gravity fill port, but it's meant for an office water cooler jug, requires someone to keep pushing a button every minute, and it pumps the water slowly. I recently saw a post that describes using the winterize siphon and the outside water port to fill the fresh tank. Any thoughts on whether this is harmful to the pump or is considered improper use of it? I like the idea of using something onboard and would empty the jugs quickly.

I have looked into using a drill pump, but couldn't find one rated for potable water. Same goes for hand pumps.

-Courtney
    I found this on Amazon: TERAPUMP Food Grade BPA Free Emergency Survival Disaster Fast Speed Drum Siphon Drinking Water Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WZXAKD2...VRXK1VE7M8MXTH

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could extend the winterizing line to the jugs, then take the external faucet / shower hose and put it in the gravity fill port.
    Or buy a RV water pump and use it to transfer the water.
    I have a 20 gallon RV water tank mounted on an elevated platform in my truck bed. It's high enough to gravity feed into the fill port.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the winterizing line method would be ideal than buying another tool to store in the camper. I just want to see if anyone else has done this without an issue. Purchasing a spare rv water pump and using that is probably a good idea, but I don't want to spend that much at this time.

I like the Terapump linked by Moonshadow, but it would require having the jerry jugs above the gravity fill port. I might have a table that is high enough and will need to check.
    2021 Imagine XLS 23bhe
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland v8 4WD | 7,400 tow | 6800 GVWR
    Husky WD 30849 w/ sway control kit | Tekonsha brake controller
    Jeep + driver and 2 passengers = 5,990 | Trailer = 6,520 | Tongue = 760