User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is truly a sad, sad happening...

Technology has, in some ways, become too much of a reliance. Because it is so reliable in so many populated locations it is easy to overlook that there are vast expanses of the country cellular still does not reach. When it comes to navigating the unknown, I encourage everyone to learn the fundamentals and be situational aware, have and understand how to read maps and a compass, and always have a bail-out bag/survival bag ready.

I have said it here before, but for newcomers planning vast trips in new, more isolated places, realize that you can rent satellite phones and not have to make the big dollar investment for the equipment and plan for your trip.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a little scary

Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    Every RVer needs to be aware of what cost this man his life.
    Bob A.

https://youtu.be/pSWXEGfumAM
    Very sorry to hear about what happened. I had a very simular event where google maps took me on a dirt road that became a sugar sand road and then the trees closed in and we were getting stuck several times. It took 6 hours to eventually travel the 3 miles to the destinaton (Big Scrubb Campgrounds - in the Ocala Forest in Florida). If I did not have 4 wheel drive It would have cost thousands to get towed out. When I wathed this video I could relate to feeling that "its not so bad" feeling alone the way.

Bill

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @billriley777
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I just hope that other RVers will learn from this terrible situation these people found themselves in. I also can relate to the "its not so bad" feeling.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    yeah.... um..... bummer.... it's why we travel with one of these and are glad to pay the fees for the secure feeling it gives us.

What an unfortunate thing. I guess each of us needs to review this and come away with our own lessons learned.
    I am a ham radio operator, and I always have a HF radio in my truck. I don't understand why they didn't walk back to the RV. I always travel with at least 1/3 tank of fresh water.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    I don't understand why they didn't walk back to the RV.
    From a couple of sources and her nephew on the video, I understand she was markedly impaired mobility. Not sure about her husband.

A series of small mistakes compounded into a tragic incident.

Updated video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruvaLy-6zec
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    From a couple of sources and her nephew on the video, I understand she was markedly impaired mobility. Not sure about her husband.

A series of small mistakes compounded into a tragic incident.

Updated video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruvaLy-6zec
    What a terrible shame.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of us (RVers) will never understand how this could happen. Our analytical minds want to dissect each tidbit of information and identify what caused this tragedy. It has been talked about on a lot of different RV forums. I even looked up the coordinates of where the car was found to help understand how they got to where they were. In the end, we will never fully understand it, but its what we take away from this tragedy that counts.

I have noticed a lot of new RVers joining our forum recently, some experienced, some not so much. This is a tragic object lesson to learn from, read through it. Even something as simple as changing a tire along the road can put you in a dangerous situation before you know it.

Some may come away with the thought "this could never happen to us", "we are smarter than that". Well - are we really?
    We can advise new owners, new RVers, what parts or tools to carry along, what check lists to use and what precautions to take. You could have all the toys possible - RV trip planning tools, RV GPS, RV road atlas, satellite phones and sat GPS, flares, caution lights, triangles and vests, etc., but it can all boil down to our decision making processes.
    When in doubt - don't, trust but verify, don't blindly follow along, I've never had a problem doing this in all the years I have been RVing - until now!
    Stay safe out there.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 04-17-2022 at 11:48 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heavy D Sparks, from the Diesel Brothers TV show, did the recovery of the RV and towed vehicle. They told more about the story of what happened and the aftermath on a YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SvuZ_y75EU
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R
    Factory Solar, Factory Disk Brakes, Heat Pump

2017 Reflection 29RS (Sold)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker View Post
    Heavy D Sparks, from the Diesel Brothers TV show, did the recovery of the RV and towed vehicle. They told more about the story of what happened and the aftermath on a YouTube video.

Thanks for the update. End of story.
    Tragic ending!
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker View Post

Yeah I saw it, was hard to watch.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast