User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First overnight and some towing concerns

Two hour ride to the campground for first overnight and I have to ask a couple of questions.

1) How high is too high to over the bed rails? I measured about 8.5" from center bottom of Solitude to the top center of tailgate. I am using a B&W OEM ball which is about 1.5" higher than a normal one. I also noticed that the Goosebox is attached in the middle bolt holes so I could lower it by using another group of mounting holes. I asked the dealer to measure the height before delivery when attached to truck and got "just under 14 feet" which didn't make me feel comfortable that they even tried. Hit the CAT scales before we left and parked next to a big rig. Hard to tell but close. I will say I have to raise it pretty much to the max to clear the ball. Followed 18 wheelers today until I can get an actual measurement - picture below - too much room between nose and bed? I'm guessing it's a bit higher than 13' 6" when connected. Passed under 13' 11" bridges OK though
    Attachment 40398

2) As we pulled off the highway, I started to hear a clunking sound when braking or starting from stop. Sounded like it was coming from the truck but of course I was sitting on that side. Didn't hear anything until the end of the two hour drive and slowing down from highway speed. Goosebox bolts/nuts are secure. Connection to ball was secure but lube was disappointing. It really sounded like it was coming from under the truck (left side). Going to take the truck out tomorrow just for a listen but I'm guessing it had to do more with the trailer connected. Inspected the 310 undercarriage and torqued the lugs before we left and running with the factory puck system. Inflation pressure on the Goosebox was fine. Not sure where to look - closest I've heard in the past was a caliper where the bolts weren't tightened properly. Anything else I should check?

3) I put a liberal amount of white lithium lube on the ball before connecting but it was close to bone dry on top of the ball when I disconnected and the sides of the ball showed grease still intact. Not sure I have a good lube. Suggestions welcome.
    Thanks,
    John
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Two hour ride to the campground for first overnight and I have to ask a couple of questions.

1) How high is too high to over the bed rails? I measured about 8.5" from center bottom of Solitude to the top center of tailgate. I am using a B&W OEM ball which is about 1.5" higher than a normal one. I also noticed that the Goosebox is attached in the middle bolt holes so I could lower it by using another group of mounting holes. I asked the dealer to measure the height before delivery when attached to truck and got "just under 14 feet" which didn't make me feel comfortable that they even tried. Hit the CAT scales before we left and parked next to a big rig. Hard to tell but close. I will say I have to raise it pretty much to the max to clear the ball. Followed 18 wheelers today until I can get an actual measurement - picture below - too much room between nose and bed? I'm guessing it's a bit higher than 13' 6" when connected. Passed under 13' 11" bridges OK though

2) As we pulled off the highway, I started to hear a clunking sound when braking or starting from stop. Sounded like it was coming from the truck but of course I was sitting on that side. Didn't hear anything until the end of the two hour drive and slowing down from highway speed. Goosebox bolts/nuts are secure. Connection to ball was secure but lube was disappointing. It really sounded like it was coming from under the truck (left side). Going to take the truck out tomorrow just for a listen but I'm guessing it had to do more with the trailer connected. Inspected the 310 undercarriage and torqued the lugs before we left and running with the factory puck system. Inflation pressure on the Goosebox was fine. Not sure where to look - closest I've heard in the past was a caliper where the bolts weren't tightened properly. Anything else I should check?

3) I put a liberal amount of white lithium lube on the ball before connecting but it was close to bone dry on top of the ball when I disconnected and the sides of the ball showed grease still intact. Not sure I have a good lube. Suggestions welcome.
    Thanks,
    John
    1: I would measure and try and get to 13’ 6”. Having extra room from the truck to the 5th wheel isn’t a bad thing.

2: if you have the standard brakes on the 5th wheel I would guess that’s what it is. They are noisy when engaging and disengaging.

3: sounds normal, you don’t need much there to do it’s job. It’s why they want you the grease everytime. I usually don’t, every 2nd or third trip for me.
    Last edited by JKellerJr; 05-05-2022 at 09:38 AM.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    1: I would measure and try and get to 13’ 6”. Having extra room from the truck to the 5th wheel isn’t a bad thing.

2: if you have the standard brakes on the 5th wheel I would guess that’s what it is. They are noisy when engaging and disengaging.

3: sounds normal, you don’t need much there to do it’s job. It’s why they want you the grease everytime. I usually don’t, every 2nd or third trip for me.
    Disk brakes on the 5th wheel but less than 150 miles on it so far.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disk brakes on the 5th wheel but less than 150 miles on it so far.
    Then I got nothin
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @JKellerJr
    For whatever reason your photo can't be displayed. Maybe try again? When selecting the "Attachment 40398" a new page pops up saying "...invalid attachment specified...". Not sure what this is all about.

As for the noise - I'll be watching. I plan to convert over to the Reese Goosebox using the B&W ball if my new truck ever gets built by Ford.

My current arrangement (MorRyde pin box on a Demco autoslider) clunks when starting and stopping but I attribute that to requiring adjustment to the pick mounting pins on the hitch - which I have chosen not to do as it has a pretty short 'life' coming up soon.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attachment 40398

Thanks,
    John
    I have no ideas on the Goosebox since I do not have one. But regarding the clearance, 8.5 is a little high but if you are not experiencing swaying or the 5ver itself is not too nose high from level (more than about an 1" or so), I wouldn't worry about it. You may also be able to get down to 7" clearance depending on the terrain you usually travel. I used to use a Gen-Y gooseball hitch and the 5ver would come close to the bed rail on the sideways tilt on very steep angles.

If you decide to lower the 5ver, the no cost would be to raise the pin box to the upper holes. That should lower the front end about 1.25-1.5"
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    @JKellerJr
    For whatever reason your photo can't be displayed. Maybe try again? When selecting the "Attachment 40398" a new page pops up saying "...invalid attachment specified...". Not sure what this is all about.
    I'm not sure what your referring to. I didn't post a photo and I don't see anything out of the ordinary when looking at the posts from my end
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    I'm not sure what your referring to. I didn't post a photo and I don't see anything out of the ordinary when looking at the posts from my end
    This is wierd.....
    When I view the post this is what I see....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 11.27.52 AM.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	40400

It's that link to an attachment that's in question. If you want, go into that post and go to advanced edit and see if you can manage that attachement (delete it completely or just from the post). I'm not sure it's worth all that trouble. I just thought you had a photo you wanted folks to see.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 05-05-2022 at 05:58 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I edited a post like that yesterday... it happens when someone uses the pound sign in front of something like a part number. I went in and stripped on the HTML stuff from around it and saved it. It didn't show up as a link any more.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attachment 40398

Thanks,
    John
    1. I would definitely verify the actual height of the trailer. You dont want to be surprised by a low bridge. Those AC units up there will turn into ceiling ventilation. It takes two people and if you are able to climb up on the roof with something long and straight like a piece of 2x4, a level, and have a partner with a tape measure. Make sure the trailer is level or transfer the same bubble location in the level to the roof. Level the 2x4 (or similar long straight device) with the level and have your partner measure the distance from the highest points (top of front and rear ACs) and record the numbers. The highest is your danger point.

2. Since we have similar combinations (mine is just longer), I have 6.5-7" between the bed rail and the trailer overhang and my trailer is nose-high about a 1/4 inch from the back. It sounds like you might be nose high. Have you measured the trailer from equal points on either side of the spring hangers to see if you are level? I can only go so far forward before I run into the drop frame so I use that as my start and then go the same distance towards the rear. You dont want to be too nose-high because it puts a lot of pressure on the rear axle/tires and can lead to tire failures. 8.5" is al lot of distance for your combination.

I have a 2016 Ram 3500 SRW with factory air bags and it is very close to the new ones as far as rear bed height.

Do you have the factory rear air bag system? They ride about an inch lower at the bed than regular 4x4's.
    My Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, CCLB SRW 4x4, 68RFE, 6.7 Cummins, rear air. MODS: MM3 w/tunes, EGR and grid heater delete, GDP airhorn and heater, ARP head studs, 5" TBE, billet VB, Thuren .5" lift/sway, Fox remote res shocks, Morimoto HIDs and LED fogs. My 5th Wheel: 2022 Grand Design 390 RK, 3 ACs, Gen Prep, too much storage ~16,500 rolling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast