User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Discovered issues with my 2019 XLS 22RBE

Hello. After returning from the family trip to Grand Teton NP, while doing my post trip inspection, I discovered the tires on my back axle scrubbing tread from the inside edge. Almost new Goodyears. Not good. While online researching the issue, I discovered a discussion of bent front frame crossmembers on XLS trailers. So out I go to the trailer. As the front crossmember is hidden behind my storage box that sits in the old battery box location, under I go. Crossmember is bowed forward about 1 1/2 inches. So in discussion with Grand Design, through my local dealer as they insisted and with Dexter directly regarding my rear axle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front cross frame.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	41669

I have to say this is the first real issue I have had with this trailer. Have about 12,000 towing miles on it.

Will advise.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some other member posted a very similar picture a little while back. I don't remember who or the outcome.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it was their post that made me go look.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to Imagine Travel Trailers - General Discussion.

This might be the older thread with a similar issue:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...842#post231842

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 07-07-2022 at 07:45 PM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update on my frame issue. Grand Design required me to take the trailer to a dealer for inspection. Fortunately my local dealer was able to get me in for the inspection yesterday (7/12/22) Didn't even have to unhitch. 2 mechanics plus the service manager crawled under the trailer, took a bunch of pictures. After the service manager said he was sure that it was not a "consumer caused issue". He is forwarding the report and pictures to Grand Design. So now we wait. Will advise.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwfett View Post
    Update on my frame issue. Grand Design required me to take the trailer to a dealer for inspection. Fortunately my local dealer was able to get me in for the inspection yesterday (7/12/22) Didn't even have to unhitch. 2 mechanics plus the service manager crawled under the trailer, took a bunch of pictures. After the service manager said he was sure that it was not a "consumer caused issue". He is forwarding the report and pictures to Grand Design. So now we wait. Will advise.
    Please post back with what they come back with.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2021 RBE - experienced the same issue with Bent as well as slightly cracked cross member "C" - some other RBE'rs have too. Showed our Dealer - they submitted claim under the 3 year structural warranty to GD - GD agreed to pay Dealer a few hundred bucks to straighten, weld on an angle reinforcement and repaint. There's some thoughts and discussions that WDH's might be putting a bit extra stress on A frame especially in tight turns or tight back ups - all just theories - but good to confirm that your WDH is set / installed to spec dimensions.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen the discussion regarding WDH and the frame issues. The problem is that most of us have to trust that the dealer installed it correctly. I have looked at the install instructions from Blue Ox, my WDH, looked at the install and as far as I can tell, its OK. But as this is my first WDH, I have no experience with them. I have asked my current dealer if the could look and make sure its OK, but they want $250 to look at it, plus $125 an hour, 2 hour minimum, labor. They say that the only way they can be sure is to take it off and reinstall.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Husky Centerline WDH - somewhat familiar with the Blue OX - I know it is important during setup to be on level paved ground - level trailer and to set the height of truck ball at same height or 1" higher than trailer ball coupler (do confirm this with your instructions though) - I think they have an exception for Dodge Ram trucks be 2" higher - and the other important dimension is where the rotating couplers are mounted onto frame from center of ball coupler. From there in your case with the Chains - a matter of tightening and checking level of trailer when jack is raised until correct amount of chain links / rotation is found. That's not nice that your Dealer won't double check your WDH install for free - especially if they installed it the first time - more so if you bought your trailer and wdh there! Good Luck and Safe Travels! We love the 22RBE - perfect for the two of us - even on really long trips.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the dealers defense, they are not the dealer I bought the trailer from. That dealer went out of business 4 months after I bought it. At the start of COVID. This dealer picked up GD and then had to deal with all the warranty issues from the other dealer. For the most part they have been good. They are just so busy I don't think they really want the job. They were able to get me in for the frame inspection right a way. Also their lot is jammed with new stock, not much selling and 45 repair or warranty jobs in the que.