Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frame Issues?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DC22RBE View Post
    Question - Did GD or LCI step up via your dealer to fix or replace your A frame? Also curious what tow vehicle you have and WDH you use as well?
    I'm towing with a Silverado 2500 3/4 ton pickup and an Equil-i-zer WHD. When I checked with my local dealer the wait was going to be 4 months, so I did the repair myself as I had travel plans this summer. I used 3/16" wall rectangular tubing (probably overkill) and a new coupler. I haven't tried to get GD or LCI take responsibility. I probably avoided "banging my head against a wall" with GD as after trading multiple emails, I haven't even been able to get them to reimburse me for a recalled $42 LP regulator which I replaced.
    2019 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2002 holiday Rambler Endeavor
    Full time since 2010

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I'm towing with a Silverado 2500 3/4 ton pickup and an Equil-i-zer WHD. When I checked with my local dealer the wait was going to be 4 months, so I did the repair myself as I had travel plans this summer. I used 3/16" wall rectangular tubing (probably overkill) and a new coupler. I haven't tried to get GD or LCI take responsibility. I probably avoided "banging my head against a wall" with GD as after trading multiple emails, I haven't even been able to get them to reimburse me for a recalled $42 LP regulator which I replaced.
    Best way to go all considering - hopefully mine will hold up - thanks for sharing. Last Question - Did your hitch bottom out on the road or was it just a hard bounce? I'll end with that - so Safe Travels!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last Question - Did your hitch bottom out on the road or was it just a hard bounce? I'll end with that - so Safe Travels!
    We were traveling at the 45 mph speed limit on a two lane paved road when we went through a dip that neither my wife or I saw in advance. The bounce was very hard, but the hitch did not bottom out and contact the pavement. There was no damage other than the A frame which failed (bent) where it attaches to the most forward cross member of the trailer frame. The coupler was about 3 inches higher after the damage.

At the same time as I replaced the A frame I installed the MORryde CRE2-35 CRE3000 Suspension System, wet bolt kit, and a MORryde UO21-003 X Factor Performance Crossmember. I found no cracks or deformation of the suspension mounting tabs. I've towed a little over 1000 miles since the repair.

I love the floor plan of my small couples trailer, but have been disappointed that it was not as well made as I had expected, just made to the typical somewhat low standard seen across the RV industry. There have been repairs made to the drawers and their slides, and to the theatre seats, but more importantly, I have repaired two instances of unsafe 120 volt electrical installation that could have caused a fire or electrocution. I expected more from GD.
    2019 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    Full time since 2010

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave, Very good information, Inspiring me to Reinforce the A frame Tube members somehow in advance. I've heard good things about the MORyde upgrade - worth the $500 and time to install. Now you have me concerned about wiring - do you mind expanding on that? Thanks again.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now you have me concerned about wiring - do you mind expanding on that? Thanks again.
    My trailer has an AC outlet installed in a panel that separates the side of the refrigerator compartment from the living space. The outlet is about 3 inches in from the exterior wall. When inspecting the rear of the refrigerator after removing the exterior cover that vents the rear of the refrigerator, I was able to see the back side of that AC outlet. There was a loop of romex cable, coming out of the outlet, that was not secured and was in contact with the coils on the back of the refrigerator. Vibration would have eventually wore through the insulation on the romex and caused a short to the refrigerator coils. When the arcing caused the refrigerator coils to be breached, flammable ammonia gas and hydrogen would have been released in the presence of a spark for ignition. I understand that GD has had this same problem in other trailers and that there has been a NHTSA safety recall issued, but unfortunately my trailer was not included in the recall.

When I dropped the black plastic cover under the frame to access the A frame welds, I found a loose bundle of 12 volt and 120 volt wires draped through a hole stamped in a steel lateral frame bulkhead. These wires should have been secured in a cable camp in such a way that chafing against the steel bulkhead was eliminated. If the AC wires had chaffed and made electrical contact with the bulkhead, the whole frame would have been electrified and anyone on the ground could be shocked by touching the frame or anything metal in contact with the frame.
    2019 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    Full time since 2010

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! I'll definitely check the one above the counter next to Fridge - that's scary. Sounds like you've had a lot experience with your 22RBE - are you also a member of the Facebook group - Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE Owners Group? There's also some just XLS groups as well that I've joined - good sharing and information. As to your A frame failing - to my knowledge no one in the 900 member 22RBE group has experienced this frame failure - it just came up when I shared another forum post with some 21 & 23BHE's having this issue. I really like our early model 2021 22RBE and have made quite a few mods i.e. - larger bath sink & faucet, light dimmers, larger deeper top 4 kitchen drawers and all new drawer guides, undercarriage spare tire rack to allow for rear bike rack, storage tube for fishing rods, better batteries, tires, centramatic wheel balancers, etc. - hence good to know to check some of these others things. Thx for sharing.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I have a 2019 22RBE. I posted earlier that the front crossmember now has a bow in it. It bows forward about 1 1/2 inches. In the 22RBE forum, several others have reported the same bowing. I currently have a claim in with Grand Design. The insisted that the trailer be inspected by a GD dealer. Done. Photos taken. The service manager that inspected my trailer said that "the bow was not caused by consumer actions" what ever that means. This is not a new or unknown issue.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwfett View Post
    Hello, I have a 2019 22RBE. I posted earlier that the front crossmember now has a bow in it. It bows forward about 1 1/2 inches. In the 22RBE forum, several others have reported the same bowing. I currently have a claim in with Grand Design. The insisted that the trailer be inspected by a GD dealer. Done. Photos taken. The service manager that inspected my trailer said that "the bow was not caused by consumer actions" what ever that means. This is not a new or unknown issue.
    Been seeing more of this on the XLS's - Ours did the same thing on our 22RBE - Took to dealer - they filled claim under 3 yr structural warranty - GD reimbursed Dealer to straighten, reinforce with angle iron, welded any gaps, repainted. There's discussions and theory out there that WDH's puts some flexing stress on A frame that causes this to bow - more likely when in tight turns and or backing up in tight turns. Hope that helps!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the “forum wisdom” on pulling the wash bars off before backing into a tight spot? Will it make any difference?
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wdh bars. Not wash bars. Sorry.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast