Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furrion 12v Refrigerator - Empty or Full in transit?

In reading the manual for the Furrion refrigerator in our new 280RS, I came across a statement that makes it appear that the manufacturer and I have different opinions of how their product should be used.

Under the heading of "Transportation," the Furrion manual states that you should "Avoid traveling with food in the cavity. Wait until you have arrived at your destination and remove any remaining food before departing." The manual also states "During long trips, leave your refrigerator off until 3 hours before your destination arrival. This will help reduce any moisture/ice accumulation and accidental battery discharging."

How many owners carry an ice chest for the purpose of not using the refrigerator while in transit?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not me, chill the day before, fill it up the morning of and go

However, admittedly I haven't read all the fine print

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasBR549 View Post
    In reading the manual for the Furrion refrigerator in our new 280RS, I came across a statement that makes it appear that the manufacturer and I have different opinions of how their product should be used.

Under the heading of "Transportation," the Furrion manual states that you should "Avoid traveling with food in the cavity. Wait until you have arrived at your destination and remove any remaining food before departing." The manual also states "During long trips, leave your refrigerator off until 3 hours before your destination arrival. This will help reduce any moisture/ice accumulation and accidental battery discharging."

How many owners carry an ice chest for the purpose of not using the refrigerator while in transit?
    Thank you for this quote from the Furrion manual. We got a good laugh. I like the “accidental battery discharging.” Don’t call us if your battery goes flat.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be a non-starter for the DW. I usually turn it on the day before we leave and she fills it after a few hours. It doesn't seem likely that there would be an issue "in transit" with the battery, the battery could easily be drained when you get there without a power source.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We packed the freezer to the gills. My wife packs the fridge to the gills before we leave. We head down the road with the fridge packed to the max. So far, no colling issues.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We pack it & go. Stays very cold.
    Matt, Trish, Conner & Ethan
    2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stay plugged in at home and keep the fridge on and loaded with the “always” items.
    Gil 'n Jenn
    Marble Falls, TX
    320MKS (coming out of a Class A)
    2970W / 800AH Victron & Battleborn
    F-350 (SRW, 7.3 Godzilla)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to read these comments twice for a little therapy! With our rough interstates on our 2-day, 1000-mi trip, our new 16 cu-ft 12v Furrion in our 303RLS managed to open enough for some loose stuff to get wedged in the RH door keeping it cracked. Of course it ran the compressor forever and I had to go through a religiously meticulous reset guided by a Furrion tech - but only after he chastened me for daring to have food in the fridge. It was clear he was pushing a disclaimer on warranty. He pointed me to the statement in the manual. However I also got a claim number for warranty work if it hadn’t started back up. It did and is running fine. The only things I would suggest: Do not put gallon jugs in the door even if they fit! We’re convinced that was the primary culprit that outmatched the rubber door latch on top. For added safety I intend to use a small bungee at the bottom before next trip. Also we may stuff some towels around the food items during travel. And be sure your battery master is on. The Furrion tech forgot to tell me that as he guided me removing all power cables (shore, battery, master off) then wait 20 min, then reconnect - he forgot the master during the reconnect sequence (I should have caught it) but the fridge was working…until it ran the battery down. Need the Master on for trickle charge. We’ve learned a lesson in packing the food but I refuse to turn our expensive 2022 RV into a Yeti cooler experience!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWB777 View Post
    I had to read these comments twice for a little therapy! With our rough interstates on our 2-day, 1000-mi trip, our new 16 cu-ft 12v Furrion in our 303RLS managed to open enough for some loose stuff to get wedged in the RH door keeping it cracked. Of course it ran the compressor forever and I had to go through a religiously meticulous reset guided by a Furrion tech - but only after he chastened me for daring to have food in the fridge. It was clear he was pushing a disclaimer on warranty. He pointed me to the statement in the manual. However I also got a claim number for warranty work if it hadn’t started back up. It did and is running fine. The only things I would suggest: Do not put gallon jugs in the door even if they fit! We’re convinced that was the primary culprit that outmatched the rubber door latch on top. For added safety I intend to use a small bungee at the bottom before next trip. Also we may stuff some towels around the food items during travel. And be sure your battery master is on. The Furrion tech forgot to tell me that as he guided me removing all power cables (shore, battery, master off) then wait 20 min, then reconnect - he forgot the master during the reconnect sequence (I should have caught it) but the fridge was working…until it ran the battery down. Need the Master on for trickle charge. We’ve learned a lesson in packing the food but I refuse to turn our expensive 2022 RV into a Yeti cooler experience!
    As we seem to travel with an abundance of throw pillows, based on your experience, I believe I’ll place a few pillows between the refrigerator door and center island when we travel. That should hold the door in place. But I have to question why an RV refrigerator would have glass shelves. Our last one had wire shelves that seemed both durable and efficient. As things got tossed about, we didn’t worry about having glass jars in the fridge or if the shelves could withstand the impact of bouncing food. We just stood everything back up when we arrived.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWB777 View Post
    Look for the thread on the bungee cord that your dealer should supply you. Also the baby-proof latch that works quite well at $10 for four of them.
    Gil 'n Jenn
    Marble Falls, TX
    320MKS (coming out of a Class A)
    2970W / 800AH Victron & Battleborn
    F-350 (SRW, 7.3 Godzilla)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast