User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A really enjoyable upgrade to my 303RLS. New Steps!

Earlier this year I installed a set of Torklift Glowstep Revolution steps in place of the three step factory steps. These are my thoughts about the installation and how big of an upgrade they really were after 5 trips using them.

First, why? The factory steps were free hanging, and had the diving board bounce when going up and down. My knees would hurt after maintenance, winterization, packing, unpacking or cleaning when I had to go in and out of the rig a lot. My wife has depth perception problems, and she had to go down the old steps very gingerly because she couldn't tell where the next step was.

I'm happy to say the Glowsteps took care of both problems for us. With legs on the ground, there is no diving board spring going on, and the steps are much more visible when descending, especially in the dark when they glow. They actually fixed another problem I hadn't even thought about. Going up or down the factory steps tends to shake the trailer pretty good. Since the Glowsteps are supported by the ground on the end, there is much less trailer shaking.

Here they are in use at the KOA in Oscoda, MI

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steps 1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	43373

Level and easy site and they were smooth as silk.

Here's a little rougher setting. I had just pulled the trailer out of the barn. It was on a side hill in the drive, and the grass slopes off even more.

Name:	Steps 2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	43374

Still handles it easily.

What's good about them? They handle a wide range of site conditions. They are stable. They install easily in the factory step well. They don't fold inside the door dragging dirt in, they fold into the factory step well. They can be deployed or stored with something close to the camper.

What might you not like about them? Deploying them takes just a bit more thought than folding down the simple factory steps. You have three upper adjustment positions and the two legs to get things just right, but it doesn't have to be perfect for a quick stop for lunch or a bathroom break.

Torklift has a great diagram on their site describing how the adjustment works:

Name:	Elevation_Diagram.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	43375

The three upper positions set the overall height of the steps, and then the legs adjust to handle the ground. Its very fast once you've done it a couple of times.

My trailer floor level is right at the threshold for 3 steps or 4 steps. I initially got the 3 step model, but after installation I could see that I needed another step. No problem to add a step to an existing set.

Speaking of installation. Its pretty easy. With two people it could probably done in 15 minutes. I did it by myself and it took just a little longer. Two carriage bolts in each end of the step well need to be removed to get the old steps out, and replaced to anchor the new ones. The only real challenge doing it solo was lifting the new steps into position while putting the bolts in. Being a part-time farmer, I'm used to dealing with stuff like that so I simply stacked wooden blocks and pieces of 2x10 until it was just below the correct height and used a pry bar for fine adjustment.

Here's the side of the step well with the old steps in place showing how easy it is to access the nuts to remove the bolts:

Name:	Step 4.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	43377

And finally here are the steps raised into the step well with my cribbing. Note that it's the original three step configuration. Also note the hardware strewn around the floor after I kicked it (and cussed) and the antifreeze bottle I missed during my 10:30pm winterization last fall upon arrival home from our last trip with an overnight low forecast of 24F.

Name:	Steps 5.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	43378

In short, these steps are a much appreciated upgrade and installation is well within the capabilities of most anyone.

I know I have a picture of the 4 step version folded, but I'm not finding it right now. I'll add it when I come across it or take another picture tomorrow. If anyone wants specific pictures or has any questions, I'll be glad to help if I can.
    Last edited by jkwilson; 10-13-2022 at 11:48 AM.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice write up.

We got ours a few years back and love them.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The glowsteps are awesome, the only question I have is why'd you wait so long to install them?!
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    The glowsteps are awesome, the only question I have is why'd you wait so long to install them?!
    I don't think I understood how much better they were!
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice write up John. Must have hurt your toe kicking a full jug of AF..lol
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we bought our 320MKS I had Northgate RV remove the steroid that came with the coach and put the Torklift steps in. That was one of our must haves.

When I ordered the coach the documentation said that it would come with the fold out steps and I knew we didn't like those. The interesting thing is it arrived with the MorRyde Step Above steps. I still had Northgate remove them and install the Torklift steps. We like the fact that the steps stay outside and that we can deploy them in tight areas so we can get inside the coach. With the MorRyde, you have to make sure that you have enough room to swing them down. There have been a couple of truck stops that we have stopped at and it's been a tight squeeze for the steroid, but we were able to get inside easily.

EDIT: The only complaint I have is the little square caps at the top of the feet get kicked off easily. I need to put a couple of short cap screws in them to stop then from easily coming out.
    Last edited by MoonShadow_1911; 10-12-2022 at 07:35 PM.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    I don't think I understood how much better they were!
    Now that you know, you and Kathy enjoy the new steps. The more you use them the more you'll appriciate them. Especially on un even ground
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, thanks, for the post and detailed writeup. Seems I do not recall anyone who has installed these and not been really happy with them.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Earlier this year I installed a set of Torklift Glowstep Revolution steps in place of the three step factory steps. These are my thoughts about the installation and how big of an upgrade they really were after 5 trips using them.

First, why? The factory steps were free hanging, and had the diving board bounce when going up and down. My knees would hurt after maintenance, winterization, packing, unpacking or cleaning when I had to go in and out of the rig a lot. My wife has depth perception problems, and she had to go down the old steps very gingerly because she couldn't tell where the next step was.

I'm happy to say the Glowsteps took care of both problems for us. With legs on the ground, there is no diving board spring going on, and the steps are much more visible when descending, especially in the dark when they glow. They actually fixed another problem I hadn't even thought about. Going up or down the factory steps tends to shake the trailer pretty good. Since the Glowsteps are supported by the ground on the end, there is much less trailer shaking.

Here they are in use at the KOA in Oscoda, MI

Name:	Steps 1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	43373

Level and easy site and they were smooth as silk.

Here's a little rougher setting. I had just pulled the trailer out of the barn. It was on a side hill in the drive, and the grass slopes off even more.

Name:	Steps 2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	43374

Still handles it easily.

What's good about them? They handle a wide range of site conditions. They are stable. They install easily in the factory step well. They don't fold inside the door dragging dirt in, they fold into the factory step well. They can be deployed or stored with something close to the camper.

What might you not like about them? Deploying them takes just a bit more thought than folding down the simple factory steps. You have three upper adjustment positions and the two legs to get things just right, but it doesn't have to be perfect for a quick stop for lunch or a bathroom break.

Torklift has a great diagram on their site describing how the adjustment works:

Name:	Elevation_Diagram.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	43375

The three upper positions set the overall height of the steps, and then the legs adjust to handle the ground. Its very fast once you've done it a couple of times.

My trailer floor level is right at the threshold for 3 steps or 4 steps. I initially got the 3 step model, but after installation I could see that I needed another step. No problem to add a step to an existing set.

Speaking of installation. Its pretty easy. With two people it could probably done in 15 minutes. I did it by myself and it took just a little longer. Two carriage bolts in each end of the step well need to be removed to get the old steps out, and replaced to anchor the new ones. The only real challenge doing it solo was lifting the new steps into position while putting the bolts in. Being a part-time farmer, I'm used to dealing with stuff like that so I simply stacked wooden blocks and pieces of 2x10 until it was just below the correct height and used a pry bar for fine adjustment.

Here's the side of the step well with the old steps in place showing how easy it is to access the nuts to remove the bolts:

Name:	Step 4.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	43377

And finally here are the steps raised into the step well with my cribbing. Note that it's the original three step configuration. Also note the hardware strewn around the floor after I kicked it (and cussed) and the antifreeze bottle I missed during my 10:30pm winterization last fall upon arrival home from our last trip with an overnight low forecast of 24F.

Name:	Steps 5.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	43378

In short, these steps are a much appreciated upgrade and installation is well within the capabilities of most anyone.

I know I have a picture of the 4 step version folded, but I'm not finding it right now. I'll add it when I come across it or take another picture tomorrow. If anyone wants specific pictures or has any questions, I'll be glad to help if I can.

Plus one vote in favor of the Torklift Glowsteps! We installed them on our first Grand Design, then removed them when we sold that trailer and reinstalled them on the replacement trailer. I agree on all of the positive points you stated. Wife and I feel they are the best mod we have added.
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morning All, I agree, the steps are a improvement over the slide out. One thing to consider or remember when traveling. If you stop at a truck stop to spend the night. The "swing distance" of the steps (ie if you stow them in the RV for the night, How much room it takes to bring them back out). I stayed the night at a truck stop, not wanting to bring out the slides and not wanting to risk the steps being crashed into. I raised them back into the coach. Next morning I had a semi trailer parked within maybe 3' of me. Steps weren't able to swing out and I couldn't get out (without climbing out a window). Had to wait until the driver woke up and moved his truck.
    Just something to be aware of ;o)
    2010 Dodge 3500 Dually
    2018 375 RES
    Wichita KS area

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast