User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    My neighbor has a well option 2022 Ram 1500 and ended up with just under 1200 pounds of allowed payload. Below is link with 2 adults and not much stuff in the truck and you can see the weight of the trailers is between 4,333.3 - 6,500 lbs. range. The 6500 is at 10% which isn't going to be a good towing experience and you need closer to 12.5% to 15% to reduce the chance of sway. When doing pencil weights the always seem to come low so little safety margin is good thing. Don't believe those dry tongue weights they will increase when you load the trailer to go camping

http://towingplanner.com/Calculators...00&tc=50&ct=TT
    Good points. I have a 2021 Ram 1500 and a 240ml Transcend. Hitch Weight: 598 lbs listed on trailer, weighed it last week and its just over 750# partially loaded. Payload listed on door is 1721, so I'm pushing it. Looking for a 3/4 ton truck now

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello, I'm looking to purchase my first trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Sun View Post
    Thank you for your comments. I do have a truck ordered that will do the job.
    Unfortunately you are not even close to having the correct truck on order
    Both of these trailers are 3/4 ton trailers full stop
    And you might as well order a 1 ton because the price is negligible
    As far as comparing the two, the coachmen is hands down a better trailer as far as quality. Just the countertops alone, solid surface vs paper is enough for me. Plus the Azdel construction is far superior to the stick and tin Transcends . I can’t believe the price difference is only 2k. Either the GD dealer is ripping you off or the Coachmen is a steal
    I wanted a Coachmen but the Imagine was wayyy cheaper
    But again please don’t even think of towing a 36 foot trailer with 1200 lbs of tongue weight with a dressed up Ram. It is a disaster in the making
    Last edited by NB Canada; 11-14-2022 at 02:48 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExNihilo View Post
    I can't really say much about your comparison.

I would STRONGLY urge you to consider what you want or have for a tow vehicle and make sure it matches up with you desired TT.

Not trying to be a shmuck raining on a parade just reminding you of another important consideration that many of us (Myself included failed to consider when we jumped in). Hint: a little extra truck capacity goes a long way.

Otherwise, know what amenities are important to you and go see lots of trailers. BTW if you are not in a major rush I think February will offer many dealers cutting prices to eliminate inventory. This could be the best time in a few years to buy.
    Best wishes and I am sure others will opine shortly.
    So remember what I mentioned about important considerations many of us fail to consider… I love your style the 1500 Longhorn was my first truck. I had to trade it in a 6 months old for the 2500. Just my experience.
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a Coachmen Freedom Express 246RK, we it traded for a Reflection150 226RKS. There is little comparison in the quality and comfort between the 2. The Grand Design is a lot more solid, and the furnishings are more comfortable. The Grand Design was more money but worth every dime for us.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also consider what kind of camping you will be doing. National and State Parks usually have length limits. Boondocking is a whole thing itself. Private campgrounds and RV resorts generally have plenty of room. Cold weather. Hot weather. Etc.

I towed a 30’ Airstream for years with a Silverado 1500 Max Tow Pkg. And liked it. Now I have a 2500 Duramax and tow a much bigger / heavier trailer. If I were to do it over I would have gone with the HD truck even with the Airstream. Much safer and less stressful driving. Especially downhill.

We love our bunkhouse. Just had my son and his family with us for 5 days. 6 total in the TT. Cozy but great even if it only happens a couple of times per year. It’s right for us in this season of our lives.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that a half ton truck is not close for those trailers. I am not a fan of the 3/4 ton plus trucks if it is a daily driver which is why we downsized the truck then had to downsize the trailer.

In our prior TT which was larger the grandkids slept on the floor on air beds and occasionally on the pull out couch.

The weight is important but so is the length being hit by side winds
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with prior comment on know what tow vehicle . I have the imagine 2500 rl ( tip to toe is 30’). Sway increases as you go much longer requiring a 3/4 to. ( 2500 series). It’s not about the tow capacity - its about sway. And if you consider any fifth wheel, get a 3/4 ton at the very least.

We seriously looked at the 29. Would require the 3/4 ton to avoid sway.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Livinlife57 View Post
    I agree with prior comment on know what tow vehicle . I have the imagine 2500 rl ( tip to toe is 30’). Sway increases as you go much longer requiring a 3/4 to. ( 2500 series). It’s not about the tow capacity - its about sway. And if you consider any fifth wheel, get a 3/4 ton at the very least.

We seriously looked at the 29. Would require the 3/4 ton to avoid sway.
    Please keep in mind nobody here is trying to pick on you and your choices. We are simply offering our own experience. You mentioned not having possession of the truck yet. This could be a valuable time for consideration in smaller trailers or bigger trucks.

I will say this I am fiscally responsible (Cheap) but safety is number one and I can't even begin to tell you the joy I get from camping. There is a high value in that. I am well pleased in my investment. Every time I get home we anticipate the next run until we can do nearly full time. We were just out for two weeks and even with diesel saved a fortune over hotels.

Enjoy the process and think critically! It's a fabulous journey.
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been a life long dream to have a travel trailer at this time of my life and be able to take off any time I please. Well, I'm actually ready to do it. I probably am going about it backwards, but I haven't made a purchase yet. I first decided on the amenities I would like. That pretty much dictated the size. The absolute must have for me was a private bunk house. I have 2 trailers in mind and was just about to pull the trigger when I realized the most important thing is what trailers are the best. In my searches, Grand Design has always been near the top. Unfortunately for me I have no family or friends that own a trailer to refer to. So, I am hoping I can get some guidance on here. The first trailer that I fell in love with is a 2022 new Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 326BHDSLE. This model has a great bunkhouse and has a bath and a half. Perfect for bringing my grandchildren with me. The most comparable Grand design is the Transcend Xplor 321BH. These trailers appear very comparable to a novice like me. Both dealerships are about 45 minute drive from my house. Both trailers are within $2,000 of each other in cost. Can anyone offer comments?
    I used to bumper pull 34' TT with a F150 Crew cab Max Tow package. The trailer always pushed the truck around because it was so long. I was always at max payload of the truck with only the driver and a passenger. It was a constant struggle with where to place the weight in the trailer in order to keep from overloading the truck. IF you stay with the combinations of vehicles listed, I recommend spending the money on a ProPride hitch to eliminate sway! Its costly but all others do not compare. All this to say that both of the trailers you are looking at purchasing really should be towed with a 2500 truck. This will give more payload capacity, especially if you go with a gas engine.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So many of us here on forum are very well educated from the college of "hard knocks". We learned by buying truck first, by listening to a salesperson, by somehow believing the endless power from todays trucks align well with stickers on trailers, thinking "this is the last trailer we will every want/get" etc..... This education is very costly.

If you have the option, hold off on the truck till you pick a trailer or get a 1 ton truck (3500 Dodge, 350 Ford etc...). We all understand the ride quality issues (when not towing) and keeping a separate daily driver is expensive, but this style of living is not cheap and if safety is compromised, its not fun either.

OH, about the trailer; compare size of tanks. If you will always stay at full hookup (FHU) campgrounds, then tank size is not so important. You will soon learn that FHU means your site and neighbors will be very close. When you boon-dock, sites are much more private, but you need the larger tanks. GD has a great reputation for large tanks.

It has been a life long dream to have a travel trailer at this time of my life and be able to take off any time I please. Well, I'm actually ready to do it. I probably am going about it backwards, but I haven't made a purchase yet. I first decided on the amenities I would like. That pretty much dictated the size. The absolute must have for me was a private bunk house. I have 2 trailers in mind and was just about to pull the trigger when I realized the most important thing is what trailers are the best. In my searches, Grand Design has always been near the top. Unfortunately for me I have no family or friends that own a trailer to refer to. So, I am hoping I can get some guidance on here. The first trailer that I fell in love with is a 2022 new Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 326BHDSLE. This model has a great bunkhouse and has a bath and a half. Perfect for bringing my grandchildren with me. The most comparable Grand design is the Transcend Xplor 321BH. These trailers appear very comparable to a novice like me. Both dealerships are about 45 minute drive from my house. Both trailers are within $2,000 of each other in cost. Can anyone offer comments?
    2024 Brinkley z2900
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2022 GD 2970RL (Sold, 2023-Oct)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold. 2022-May)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast