User Tag List

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suburban Furnace problem... Or so I thought.

I guess it's my turn to post a Doh moment.

I was up this morning, turned up the furnace, took my shower, and was getting ready to walk the dogs. I noticed it was still cold in the coach so I turned on the electric fireplace then looked at the thermostat for the heater. It said 69° and I know I turned it up to 72 for the wife.

I walked the dogs then came back to troubleshoot the issue. I turned the thermostat off, then back to heat. The furnace kicked on blew cold air. I thought to myself, "Self, I said, "something is wrong with the heater."

I turned it off then on again, went outside to see if I could hear the ignitor clicking. It was. Dang it! Hey! Maybe it's the sail switch!

I turned off the furnace, grab my handy-dandy square drive screw driver, and proceed to remove every screw I could find on the outside of the furnace. (Needless to say there are six screws surrounding the exhaust vent that don't need to be taken out, at least on the Suburban SFV-35Q furnace.)

I removed the cover, and removed the sail switch. I ohmed it out as I activated it, Well, dang it! That wasn't the problem. I hooked it back up and went back inside to cycle the furnace again. I went back outside and could plainly head the ignitor clicking and the "thunk" of the gas valve opening.

Google time! I read a bunch of literature (mainly the service manual) and watched a couple of Youtube videos (nothing that really helped).

By this time, the wife is awake and I've told her that we have no heat except fo the fireplace and that the part(s) that I think is bad will cost either $60.00 or $100.00. That's the gas valve or the control board.

I found both online the gas valve was right around $60.00 and then discovered something called a dinosaur board. Intriguing... A "universal" board for propane RV appliances. More research. I found that I needed the "50 pin fan" board (I can't remember the actual name for it). Found it on Amazon for $125.00.

Okay, so I can order the parts and fix the heater when I get back, after next Wednesday; since I'm going out of town for 5 days, starting Saturday.

Then my technician brain kicked in and said to myself, "Self," I said, "better make sure of the part so you aren't just throwing parts at it." I went back out and performed voltage checks on what I could reach. Well, it looks like the control board just might be bad.

(I haven't ordered any parts yet.) I went in to cook the fried rice I'm bringing to the Thanksgiving Potluck here at Johnson Creek RV Resort, and I couldn't get the burner to light, or even flame. Really?!?! I'm out of PROPANE? That can't be! My Mopeka propane sensor says I have 3% left in the right bottle (essentially empty) and 100% left in the left bottle! What the heck? I had a hot shower this morning so that couldn't actually be the problem.

I went outside and checked the valves on each tank. The left one is open... The right one is... CLOSED! Really?!?!?! I took them both to be filled about 10 days ago.

The moral of the story is to MAKE SURE TO OPEN THE VALVE WHEN YOU PUT THE STINKING TANK BACK IN IT'S PLACE!

Crisis averted. Nothing damaged or destroyed or inpoerational, except my pride.

Hope this provides a little laugh for y'all! Happy Thanksgiving!
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @MoonShadow_1911
    You did better than THIS YouTube couple.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmlDipx0JoQ&t=443s
    (Ordered 7/13/20) 2021 Solitude 310GK, FBP, DP, HP, Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes
    Built 9/9/20; To Paint 9/11/20 (5-6 weeks); Done Paint 10/1/20; MORryde axle upgrade 10/5/20; Done at MORryde and paid for 10/8/20; Arrived at Dealer 10/20/20; picked up 11/7/20