Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I tow it?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I tow it?

The eternal question on the forums, I know. But I want to get a sanity check on my math. I currently have an Imagine 21BHE XLS, but have upgraded my vehicle to a 2020 Ram 3500 Laramie, CC, LB, SW, HO Turbo Diesel with 5th/gooseneck towing prep. I have looked up all my numbers and door jams.

We are looking to upgrade to a Reflection 28BH or 311BH (we are a family of 5). I calculated 850 for the 5 of us (not our current weight, but kids grow), 300lbs for random in-bed stuff (wood), and a 200lb 5th wheel hitch weight. Based on some internet research (Changing Lanes), I understand the pin weight will realistically be 20-25% of the trailer weight. I used the GVWR of the trailer for the 20-25%. However, based on my calculations, I may be pushing it with even the 28BH...did I do something wrong. This doesn't seem...right?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stickers.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	44300

Name:	Calculations.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	44301
    South Central Texas
    2021 Imagine XLS 21BHE

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raife1 View Post
    The eternal question on the forums, I know. But I want to get a sanity check on my math. I currently have an Imagine 21BHE XLS, but have upgraded my vehicle to a 2020 Ram 3500 Laramie, CC, LB, SW, HO Turbo Diesel with 5th/gooseneck towing prep. I have looked up all my numbers and door jams.

We are looking to upgrade to a Reflection 28BH or 311BH (we are a family of 5). I calculated 850 for the 5 of us (not our current weight, but kids grow), 300lbs for random in-bed stuff (wood), and a 200lb 5th wheel hitch weight. Based on some internet research (Changing Lanes), I understand the pin weight will realistically be 20-25% of the trailer weight. I used the GVWR of the trailer for the 20-25%. However, based on my calculations, I may be pushing it with even the 28BH...did I do something wrong. This doesn't seem...right?

I think you've got a pretty good grip on the numbers and how they work. You would obviously be better off, weight wise with the 28BH, rather than the 311BH. That 20% to 25% estimate on pin weight is just that. I think the 25% number does happen once in a great while, but I'd say that many fivers are going to be in the 21% to 22@ range. Also, if your weight numbers are all correct or pretty close to being correct for family weight, hitch weight, and other stuff in the bed, you would be correct in thinking that the 311BH will probably take you over the Payload capacity of the truck. There's obviously more wiggle room with the 28BH.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, your totals are correct! It's really eye opening when you look at the actually safety numbers.

This is why I recommend you find the coach you want, then size the truck to the coach, not the other way around. If you do, you will find that you chose to compromise and "settle" for what your truck can safely tow. This leads to spending more money since you will most likely buy another coach, then the truck to tow it.
    Last edited by MoonShadow_1911; 01-02-2023 at 04:53 AM.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Nope, your totals are correct! It's really sure opening when you look at the actually safety numbers.

This is why I recommend you find the coach you want, then size the truck to the coach, not the other way around. If you do, you will find that you chose to compromise and "settle" for what your truck can safely tow. This leads to spending more money since you will most likely buy another coach, then the truck to tow it.
    That's kind of the way I did it, although I bought the truck first, but I knew which 5ver I was going to get, and ran the "worst case" scenario with that trailer. I ended up with a Dually and a payload of 5270 lbs.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks to be correct. I would suggest putting the tools and other items in the trailer to free up 300 lbs. Wood you can buy when you get to where you are going which is what I do. Might cost you a little more but then you're not lugging it around. That would save you 300 lbs in the truck. You could also save a bit of 5th wheel hitch weight to go with an Andersen, Pull-rite or the new Curt single point hitch. That would be another 100 lbs. You will still be borderline depending on how you load the trailer but can be done.

What I did when I upgraded is used the weight of all the stuff in the current trailer when we travelled, added that to the unloaded trailer weight from the sticker to get total weight and then used 22% of that to calculate the hitch weight. We have been camping for nearly 20 years so what I have in the trailer is what it is and nothing really gets added so this gave me a realistic weight for us. After weighing the truck and trailer I was pretty much bang on.

Either way with 5 people in the truck you will be close.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do either one. Buy the firewood and really.... 300 pounds of tools? I probably have 50 or 60 pounds of tools. You can easily be within your payload numbers.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    300lbs of tools does sound high, my truck toolbox and all tools in it weigh 175lbs combined. Maybe I have 50lbs or so of additional tools in the RV (haven't weighed those, but did weigh the truck tools and toolbox).

A lot of places don't allow you to bring firewood, so might be a waste even if you did bring it.

You can save some weight on the hitch by using the Andersen Ultimate Hitch or a Reese Goosebox, but the Goosebox weighs much more than the stock pinbox, so it isn't a huge weight savings. Also, with the Goosebox, you're limited to what can go in the truck bed without it interfering during turns.
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 01-02-2023 at 07:19 AM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the replies. I will work the numbers a bit more. We have brought wood if we are within a couple hours of home as our experience getting wood at the sites has been iffy (mostly wet and hard to start). Most of the 300lbs is the wood and not tools. Due to storage space constraints in my current trailer, I put more stuff in the truck bed. With a new trailer I may be able to shift some of that. I took the idea of subtracting out the UVW of my current trailer to see how much "stuff" we are currently loading. Based on my last 2 scale weights, we have about 520lbs of "stuff" in the trailer. This was fully loaded on the way out of town. Even if we double that we are at 1,000lbs of "stuff."

Note: In case anyone is curious, I took the trailer from the dealer upon new pickup straight to the scales and the stickered number was only 20lbs off the scale weight.

So with the change in bed items and 5th hitch, I gain back 300lbs payload, and puts my available pin weight at 2971.

Name:	Calculations2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	44302
    Last edited by Raife1; 01-02-2023 at 08:49 AM. Reason: added note
    South Central Texas
    2021 Imagine XLS 21BHE

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the replies. I will work the numbers a bit more. We have brought wood if we are within a couple hours of home as our experience getting wood at the sites has been iffy (mostly wet and hard to start). Most of the 300lbs is the wood and not tools. Due to storage space constraints in my current trailer, I put more stuff in the truck bed. With a new trailer I may be able to shift some of that. I took the idea of subtracting out the UVW of my current trailer to see how much "stuff" we are currently loading. Based on my last 2 scale weights, we have about 520lbs of "stuff" in the trailer. This was fully loaded on the way out of town. Even if we double that we are at 1,000lbs of "stuff."

Note: In case anyone is curious, I took the trailer from the dealer upon new pickup straight to the scales and the stickered number was only 20lbs off the scale weight.

So with the change in bed items and 5th hitch, I gain back 300lbs payload, and puts my available pin weight at 2971.

Name:	Calculations2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	44302
    Seems to me that you are good to go with either trailer as you are very unlikely to hit the 25% on the 311BH since you have a good amount of storage behind the axles. Pick the one you like the best and enjoy camping.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like you are using 4021 for Max Payload and it looks like you got that number from the door sticker. You have the truck, have you taken it to the scales to get a “real” empty weight? Since you are going to be cutting it close on weights it would be better to start the calculations with a scale weight.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast