User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Lost wheel

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by savagkd View Post
    I realize this is an older thread, but would like to add another reason to retorque after having a "Pro" shop mount your tires. Years ago I purchased new tires for my truck from a national chain. Drove the 20 miles home and retorqued. Imagine my surprise when one of the lug nuts snapped off at first pressure. The lug stud had been sheared off, presumably with an impact wrench, then superglued back on to hide the screw-up. Back to the shop, the manager fired the tech on the spot, had all of my studs replaced, re-balanced all wheels and refunded the cost of mount and balance. They made it right and I still use the same chain.

Point is, even the most reputable shops can have questionable employees.

Trust, but verify.
    I have trouble trusting anyone to do anything for me! There are some good mechanics, plumbers, electricans and so forth but also there are too many hired to do a job that have a bad attitude or could care less about their work. At this point in life I could actually afford to have my boat or camper serviced but do not trust the people hired to do it. Thus I do everything myself. I've learned a lot about things now and try to share my experience and knowledge with others.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone can make a mistake. The question really is how is it handled afterward?

I've always done some of my own work, and had those who know what they are doing do some of it. I know what I'm capable of doing and when I should rely on others. I did very little engine or suspension work on the Foretravel, but I'm going to grease the suspension on the Reflection. Why the difference? I'm able to get underneath this trailer and I couldn't get under the Foretravel.

They day will come when I won't be able to do that. At that point I'll either decide that it is time to get off of the road or find a reputable shop to handle the maintenance.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456