Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is needed to run TV

2018 Momentum 397th, no solar
    Current lead acid battery is the original, so I know it is on borrowed time. So I am thinking about going lithium.
    I have read that some people don't change their charging system but that isn't utilizing the batteries to their full abilities.
    My question is kind of a two part question.
    1. What exactly is needed to convert to lithium?
    2. What is needed to run TV off the batteries if not hooked to shore power? I don't want to run generator just for the tv.

TIA
    Chad
    2018 Momentum 397TH
    2021 Ford F350 DRW

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is needed to run TV

You need an inverter to change 12 volt to 120 volt

You will need a lithium capable converter to charge it when on shore power or a solar system if you don’t want to run the genny
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's important to note that your 2 questions are 2 very different things. The solutions are independent, but related in the fact that they both deal with the electrical system of your RV. Solving one will not change the results of the other. For both of these you can easily find yourself going way deep down the rabbit hole if you want... but here are some very generalized statements that should answer your question.

1. If you want to convert to lithium at it's absolute bare minimum, you technically only need a Lithium battery; plug and play. That said, most standard converters/chargers that are installed on rigs are not designed for lithium. It's best to check what you have and look up the specs on it. Some chargers that aren't designed for lithium can still work but just not very well (but it's possible that a mismatched charger can be unsafe) and it's advised you change your converter to one that is designed for lithium. The benefits to lithium over Lead Acid are well documented so I won't get into them.

2. It's important to clarify that RVs have 2 different but connected electrical systems; DC and AC. DC is also referred to as 12v and in short it's the things running on your battery. AC is also referred to as 110, 115, or 120 and it's things running on a traditional power outlet. TVs can come in both but are usually AC. If your TV is a normal household outlet plug then it runs on AC power. This is probably the case since you want to know how to get it to run off your batteries, or DC system. The way to achieve running your TV off DC is to either replace your TV with a DC television (and any streaming boxes you use) or to setup an inverter that will power AC devices from DC power. Inverters can scale significantly from small single device inverters to massive setups that can power an entire RV off 12v. An inverter can also be a (lithium compatible) converter all in one package if you're tackling both of these 2 issues at the same time.

Highly advise checking out Will Prowse on youtube and his book that you can get on Amazon. He is a wealth of knowledge on power systems, especially those that run our RVs.
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
    2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive gooseneck conversion hitch
    630aH LiFePO4 Lion Energy battery bank, Victron Multi-Plus II Inverter, Victron MPPT, 563w solar array, CerboGX, 40a DC-DC charger

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WondersAwait View Post
    It's important to note that your 2 questions are 2 very different things. The solutions are independent, but related in the fact that they both deal with the electrical system of your RV. Solving one will not change the results of the other. For both of these you can easily find yourself going way deep down the rabbit hole if you want... but here are some very generalized statements that should answer your question.

1. If you want to convert to lithium at it's absolute bare minimum, you technically only need a Lithium battery; plug and play. That said, most standard converters/chargers that are installed on rigs are not designed for lithium. It's best to check what you have and look up the specs on it. Some chargers that aren't designed for lithium can still work but just not very well (but it's possible that a mismatched charger can be unsafe) and it's advised you change your converter to one that is designed for lithium. The benefits to lithium over Lead Acid are well documented so I won't get into them.

2. It's important to clarify that RVs have 2 different but connected electrical systems; DC and AC. DC is also referred to as 12v and in short it's the things running on your battery. AC is also referred to as 110, 115, or 120 and it's things running on a traditional power outlet. TVs can come in both but are usually AC. If your TV is a normal household outlet plug then it runs on AC power. This is probably the case since you want to know how to get it to run off your batteries, or DC system. The way to achieve running your TV off DC is to either replace your TV with a DC television (and any streaming boxes you use) or to setup an inverter that will power AC devices from DC power. Inverters can scale significantly from small single device inverters to massive setups that can power an entire RV off 12v. An inverter can also be a (lithium compatible) converter all in one package if you're tackling both of these 2 issues at the same time.

Highly advise checking out Will Prowse on youtube and his book that you can get on Amazon. He is a wealth of knowledge on power systems, especially those that run our RVs.

Thanks for the reply and maybe I worded my question in a confusing way to understand. Yes, I understand that what I'm wanting is two different things, but I figured I could kill two birds with one stone sort of while down there changing the system to run/charge the lithium batteries. Yea it can be a deep expensive rabbit hole.
    Let's say I wanted to add 3-4 lithium batteries and run the entire 120V system off the batteries what would be needed? Now I don't have any intentions of running the A/C's off batteries but could run TV, lights, and maybe frig. The ultimate goal I'm just thinking of is that during the day/night when the weather is nice, I could open doors, windows and let the breeze blow and watch TV without running the generator.
    2018 Momentum 397TH
    2021 Ford F350 DRW

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad74 View Post
    Thanks for the reply and maybe I worded my question in a confusing way to understand. Yes, I understand that what I'm wanting is two different things, but I figured I could kill two birds with one stone sort of while down there changing the system to run/charge the lithium batteries. Yea it can be a deep expensive rabbit hole.
    Let's say I wanted to add 3-4 lithium batteries and run the entire 120V system off the batteries what would be needed? Now I don't have any intentions of running the A/C's off batteries but could run TV, lights, and maybe frig. The ultimate goal I'm just thinking of is that during the day/night when the weather is nice, I could open doors, windows and let the breeze blow and watch TV without running the generator.
    Hey Chad, I've got a system similar to what you're describing (see https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post424104). Let me know if there is anything I didn't cover in that thread that would be helpful.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The number of lithium batteries needed is not as important as the needed AH. You can buy 3-4 100AH or 2- 200AH, etc.
    You'll need an inverter that can be wired into the coaches 120V system. Some cheap ways are to just run an cord form the inverter to the RV's shore power outlet. More expensive ways are to wire the inverter into the coaches converter using an auto transfer switch which allows the coaches 120v system to automatically switch back and forth between the inverter and shore power. Basically when the shore power cord is plugged in then thats the main power source. Once unplugged the ATS changes the power to the inverter automatically.

You will probably need solar if you're going to be dry camping for more than a day or two. Thats another topic I suppose.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    The number of lithium batteries needed is not as important as the needed AH. You can buy 3-4 100AH or 2- 200AH, etc.
    You'll need an inverter that can be wired into the coaches 120V system. Some cheap ways are to just run an cord form the inverter to the RV's shore power outlet. More expensive ways are to wire the inverter into the coaches converter using an auto transfer switch which allows the coaches 120v system to automatically switch back and forth between the inverter and shore power. Basically when the shore power cord is plugged in then thats the main power source. Once unplugged the ATS changes the power to the inverter automatically.

You will probably need solar if you're going to be dry camping for more than a day or two. Thats another topic I suppose.
    Yea solar is another topic and probably wont be done on this trailer.
    I'm at the very beginning stage of this possible project and haven't compared prices but if I can get 2-200AH for the same or close to 4 100AH then I will go that route. But now I'm just getting an idea of what is needed.
    2018 Momentum 397TH
    2021 Ford F350 DRW

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea solar is another topic and probably wont be done on this trailer.
    I'm at the very beginning stage of this possible project and haven't compared prices but if I can get 2-200AH for the same or close to 4 100AH then I will go that route. But now I'm just getting an idea of what is needed.
    Not cheap that is for sure
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Hey Chad, I've got a system similar to what you're describing (see https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post424104). Let me know if there is anything I didn't cover in that thread that would be helpful.
    I made it through your first post on that thread and knew we were on the same wave length. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Btw, I feel you on the wood, I can weld, wire in a 200 amp breaker box, fix my 45hp Kubota but when it comes to wood, I couldn't make a straight cut to save my life. My dad told me once that I could be a good framer but a finish carpenter wasn't in the cards for me.
    2018 Momentum 397TH
    2021 Ford F350 DRW

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2018 Momentum 397th, no solar
    Current lead acid battery is the original, so I know it is on borrowed time. So I am thinking about going lithium.
    I have read that some people don't change their charging system but that isn't utilizing the batteries to their full abilities.
    My question is kind of a two part question.
    1. What exactly is needed to convert to lithium?
    2. What is needed to run TV off the batteries if not hooked to shore power? I don't want to run generator just for the tv.

TIA
    Chad
    Chad,

Here are a couple of threads that discuss switching to Lithium and adding an Inverter in great detail:

Affordable-Solar-How-To-Design-and-Install-an-Affordable-Solar-System

Installing-a-Solar-System-in-Phases
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast