User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

17mke want to add a digital battery meter to control panel

Anybody know if there is a connection to the battery from the panel on a 2021 17mke? I would like to add a digital meter to give me charging and volt status.

Thanks Scott

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To get an accurate battery level, you need to get a battery monitor that uses a shunt. It will be installed at the battery and you'll need to run a wire for the display or get a blue tooth version that can be monitored by your phone or a tablet.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a simple voltmeter in our 2650
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1982.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	45416
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks jmbopp,

Since the 17mke is a simple trailer and we only use it for basic needs. No use of microwave, AC etc. no inverter. Just water and lights.

I know a meter that read both directions of current to give a more accurate reading of your batteries. To do that I would need a shunt at that battery. My thought was simple status of batteries. I have a simple Solar panel with an mppt controller. Since it is difficult to mount the controller in a quick view location, a charge percentage / voltage meter in the living space would give an indication of basic status of battery. The mppt controller would give more info if needed.

Your simple meter is what I was thinking. Where was that wired to?

Thanks

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by My17mke View Post
    Thanks jmbopp,

Since the 17mke is a simple trailer and we only use it for basic needs. No use of microwave, AC etc. no inverter. Just water and lights.

I know a meter that read both directions of current to give a more accurate reading of your batteries. To do that I would need a shunt at that battery. My thought was simple status of batteries. I have a simple Solar panel with an mppt controller. Since it is difficult to mount the controller in a quick view location, a charge percentage / voltage meter in the living space would give an indication of basic status of battery. The mppt controller would give more info if needed.

Your simple meter is what I was thinking. Where was that wired to?

Thanks
    A simple volt readout may not be showing you the state of charge for the battery. It will show you how many volts are in your DC system. To get the SOC for the battery you need to turn off your converter, turn off your solar and remove all draws from your battery. This is why the shunt mentioned in another post is better.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    A simple volt readout may not be showing you the state of charge for the battery. It will show you how many volts are in your DC system. To get the SOC for the battery you need to turn off your converter, turn off your solar and remove all draws from your battery. This is why the shunt mentioned in another post is better.
    Yes, a shunt is better but for a cheap indicator the voltmeter is adequate for me. I installed it after the battery monitor function died on the control panel. I don't have an inverter for the microwave, coffee pot, hair dryer, or AC. When the meter reads 12.00 volts it's time to recharge the batteries either with a generator or portable solar panels.

Once you pull the bezel off and unscrew the control panel there is a bundle of wires behind it. I traced out the 12v and ground wires coming off one of the light switches and tied into them. The voltmeter (Amazon) is a LCD panel with backlight, and since it only draws 7ma (.007A) it's hard wired and on all the time.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK