User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Easycamper View Post
    The GM 2500HDs and 3500HDs are virtually identical. Different rear leaf springs, rear shocks and badges. All the gas trucks have the same rear end. Diesel 3500HDs have a larger ring gear and no torque limiting. That's it.
    I wouldn't just chalk that up to that being it... That's about $1200 in difference between the SRW models with identical powertrain that provided for the additional ~500# of payload all else equal. Obviously, move up to a 3500 DRW and there are many more changes. Perhaps not as steep in the differences as RAM 2500 to 3500 SRW but still there. Beyond this, there's also the obviousness that each brand just has a different driving feel surrounded around by the mechanical differences and programming approach that changes our perception. For instance I cannot stand the steering feel of a modern blue oval and I don't like that the brake feel of bowties is still as bad to me as my 88, 95, 98, 99, and 08 were and not at all that my sheeps don't have their own peculiarities...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say it's all relevant to what you're towing. Before we got our first Momentum we had a 36'TT weighing around 8500lbs and I was pulling with an F150 with the EcoBoost motor. I swapped to a F350 DRW in preparation for the Momentum. I will say I noticed a huge difference in towing stability between the 2 trucks.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I would say it's all relevant to what you're towing. Before we got our first Momentum we had a 36'TT weighing around 8500lbs and I was pulling with an F150 with the EcoBoost motor. I swapped to a F350 DRW in preparation for the Momentum. I will say I noticed a huge difference in towing stability between the 2 trucks.
    I can understand the extra stability being more of a factor with a TT.

Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    Stability and durability are the only real differences. Heavier, stiffer tires, frames, suspension, etc. Everything is bigger and heavier. The brakes may not stop you faster but they should last much longer stopping heavy loads. Take a 1/2 ton throw some e rated tires and a heavier suspension on it and it will feel real close to a HD truck right up until something breaks. HD's are probably 2000lbs + heavier in basically the same size vehicle. That's all heavy duty parts that will hold up better under load. We had a 1/2 ton that pulled a mildly heavy utility trailer often. The trailer was well within spec, not close to its max. After a while things would wear out and break consistently.
    That's true durability is much better with the HD. That's what HD pickups are good at IMO, i.e. constant heavy duty use. Full timing, towing long distances. Towing a half-dozen times per year close to home is well within the capabilities of a modern 1/2 ton.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look on the bright side. In a few years when you want to get something heavier you have the truck.
    FWIW as far as night and day goes, I think most of those comments are coming from owners of travel trailers. They don't handle near as well as a 5th wheel BTDT. It's not surprising that you didn't notice much difference in handling. I would venture to say that if your 5er was a TT that you would notice a big difference in how it handled.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    FWIW as far as night and day goes, I think most of those comments are coming from owners of travel trailers. They don't handle near as well as a 5th wheel BTDT. It's not surprising that you didn't notice much difference in handling. I would venture to say that if your 5er was a TT that you would notice a big difference in how it handled.
    Sure that makes sense. Although I know many people look at payload capacity as the be-all and end-all of fifth wheel towing. I have 73% more payload capacity but towing isn't 73% better (with the same trailer).
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe everyone here is missing the key element. Move up to the diesel engine/HD tran and the whole discussion changes. Been towing everything imaginable 50 years+, and power, engine braking, and the overall “more capable” feeling is 75% of the difference to me. The stronger suspension, sway bars, etc are fine but the power train is key IMHO. Funny story, we went to the dealership searching my latest truck, wife adamant about not paying $15k extra for diesel. I didn’t have my drivers license with me, wife test drove the gas and diesel trucks, and told me “No way are these even comparable. 10 years later, we still agree.
    Just my 2cents.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure that makes sense. Although I know many people look at payload capacity as the be-all and end-all of fifth wheel towing. I have 73% more payload capacity but towing isn't 73% better (with the same trailer).
    I guess that depends on your point of view. We're trying to justify HD's. Let flip it, try and justify a 1/2 ton.

IMO the only thing a 1/2 ton has is a better ride when empty and possibly slightly better fuel economy, also empty. That ride come at the expense of everything that makes towing or hauling safer, easier, and makes HD's more durable.

It's not cost, A quick build and price on the GMC website: All crew cabs,4WD/standard bed, Gas Denali's without all the extra options like tech packages, sunroofs, etc.
    1500: $73,890
    2500: $75,095
    3500: $76,295
    Are they 2-4% better for towing the same trailer?

Modern 1/2 tons are definitely way more capable than they used to be. In many ways they are more capable than old 3/4 tons. But the modern 3/4 & 1 tons are also much more capable than they used to be.

I have to agree it is a matter of degree. A weekend warrior pulling a 24/26 ft lightweight trailer a few times a year close to home. I could justify a 1/2 ton (though I would still never buy one, I don't see the point). Beyond that what is the justification for a 1/2 ton? Just the softer ride? If you all ready have one and want to try camping then sure buy a trailer that works with in spec and give it a go. If your sticking with it then I cant see any justification to stick with a half ton when its time for a new truck.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbucklew View Post
    Maybe everyone here is missing the key element. Move up to the diesel engine/HD tran and the whole discussion changes. Been towing everything imaginable 50 years+, and power, engine braking, and the overall “more capable” feeling is 75% of the difference to me. The stronger suspension, sway bars, etc are fine but the power train is key IMHO. Funny story, we went to the dealership searching my latest truck, wife adamant about not paying $15k extra for diesel. I didn’t have my drivers license with me, wife test drove the gas and diesel trucks, and told me “No way are these even comparable. 10 years later, we still agree.
    Just my 2cents.
    That's a whole different discussion. Pulling heavy there is little option. But pulling lower weights the cheaper initial cost/ easier and cheaper maintenance/ simpler engine complexity/ potential issues with the diesel emissions, etc. come into play. If I was pulling lower weights or shorter distances I would consider the gas engines. That's coming from a guy that hasn't personally owned a gas truck since my 94 ram v-10. Hopefully they can simplify these diesel engines someday but I'm not holding my breath. They are great when everything works but the problems are much bigger when they don't (CP4 fuel pumps!)
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Payload capacity has more to do with not being overloaded than towing characteristics. I towed a small 5th wheel with a Ram 2500 and was over the GVWR by 200lbs Not much but still maxed out. I highly doubt that if I went to a 3500 that it would've been noticeable since it towed flawless. Like I said a 5er tows hands down better unless you use one of the premium WDH's. Apparently your F150 was doing great since moving up to a 2500 didn't make much difference.
    Not sure what you expected to be 73% better? Stopping, MPG's, braking, handling, semi's or wind? Did you have any issues with any of those prior?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    That's a whole different discussion. Pulling heavy there is little option. But pulling lower weights the cheaper initial cost/ easier and cheaper maintenance/ simpler engine complexity/ potential issues with the diesel emissions, etc. come into play. If I was pulling lower weights or shorter distances I would consider the gas engines. That's coming from a guy that hasn't personally owned a gas truck since my 94 ram v-10. Hopefully they can simplify these diesel engines someday but I'm not holding my breath. They are great when everything works but the problems are much bigger when they don't (CP4 fuel pumps!)
    Don't buy a Ford if you don't want a CP4.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast