User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, the difference in going from a F-150 to a F-350 pulling the same 10K trailer was massive.

The F-350 is just so much more stable. No unloading of the front end and a more solid steering feel.

Now maybe a 157" wheelbase F-150 can handle it better than my old 145" did, but I wasn't going to take that chance. As vehicle registration is the same $92, no reason not to go with the 1 ton.

I thought that you were going electric?

Quote Originally Posted by Easycamper View Post
    Not everyone has the same experience I guess. I’m happy with how the 278BH tows and I have no interest in an F-350.

In fact I have an F-150 Lightning reserved (yes the electric one) and I plan to switch to that when my order comes in.
    2022 F350 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 7.3
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2021 F150 SC SB XLT Sport 3.5 EB Max Tow - Sold
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 260RD - Sold

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    Beyond that what is the justification for a 1/2 ton? Just the softer ride?
    Here's my list:
    Usually a more comfortable ride
    Easier to get into and out of
    Better handling (lower CG)
    Better visibility around the truck
    Smaller and easier to park
    Easier to fit in your garage
    Easier to fit in a parking garage
    Often better incentives (rebates or subvented loans)
    Better fuel economy when empty
    Similar fuel economy when towing (gas vs. gas)

With regard to safety, the 3/4-ton will be safer in a collision just because it's heaver. Can't argue with physics. When empty (which in my case is 95% of the time), it handles worse and doesn't brake any better than the half-ton. The occupants are somewhat safer in a collision, but the flipside is that the heavier truck presents more risk to others on the road. What's the net safety benefit? Hard to say.

I know I'm ****ing into the wind with my opinion on this. Just wanted to offer a different perspective from what we usually see.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Don't buy a Ford if you don't want a CP4.
    or a pre '17 GM or a 19/20 Ram. That's just one example. I hand to drain the DEF from my '14 ram more than once due to the sensor sensing bad DEF (wasn't bad DEF) Our '16 Duramax was in the shop for months while they tried to figure out the problem. I don't remember all the parts they threw at it trying to figure out what was wrong. GM ended up giving us a 6K credit toward a new GM vehicle for the inconvenience. Our old 6.0 powerstroke..... no need to bring that monstrosity back up again.

Can't you tell I love diesels Just ordered another one that cost way more than my first house.

But for the purpose of this thread. Pulling rv's that fall within 1500 specs, diesels are overkill in everyway.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Payload capacity has more to do with not being overloaded than towing characteristics. I towed a small 5th wheel with a Ram 2500 and was over the GVWR by 200lbs Not much but still maxed out. I highly doubt that if I went to a 3500 that it would've been noticeable since it towed flawless. Like I said a 5er tows hands down better unless you use one of the premium WDH's. Apparently your F150 was doing great since moving up to a 2500 didn't make much difference.
    Not sure what you expected to be 73% better? Stopping, MPG's, braking, handling, semi's or wind? Did you have any issues with any of those prior?
    I didn't expect it to be 73% better. What I'm saying is that many people treat payload as the determining factor in the quality of a fifth wheel towing experience. There are many opinions expressed about "wow it sure feels great to have all the payload capacity, etc."

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
    To me, the difference in going from a F-150 to a F-350 pulling the same 10K trailer was massive.

The F-350 is just so much more stable. No unloading of the front end and a more solid steering feel.
    Emphasis mine

If we're talking about "feel" then yes I would agree there is a significantly better feel with the 2500. It does feel more solid, especially in gusty crosswinds when the F-150 would get jiggled around. But I was never in any danger of losing control with the F-150, it was just a minor seat of the pants feeling.

There's a comfort aspect to it. It gives a more solid impression. I'm not arguing that. But in objective braking and handling performance the difference is slight if any.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    I guess that depends on your point of view. We're trying to justify HD's. Let flip it, try and justify a 1/2 ton.

IMO the only thing a 1/2 ton has is a better ride when empty and possibly slightly better fuel economy, also empty. That ride come at the expense of everything that makes towing or hauling safer, easier, and makes HD's more durable.

It's not cost, A quick build and price on the GMC website: All crew cabs,4WD/standard bed, Gas Denali's without all the extra options like tech packages, sunroofs, etc.
    1500: $73,890
    2500: $75,095
    3500: $76,295
    Are they 2-4% better for towing the same trailer?

Modern 1/2 tons are definitely way more capable than they used to be. In many ways they are more capable than old 3/4 tons. But the modern 3/4 & 1 tons are also much more capable than they used to be.

I have to agree it is a matter of degree. A weekend warrior pulling a 24/26 ft lightweight trailer a few times a year close to home. I could justify a 1/2 ton (though I would still never buy one, I don't see the point). Beyond that what is the justification for a 1/2 ton? Just the softer ride? If you all ready have one and want to try camping then sure buy a trailer that works with in spec and give it a go. If your sticking with it then I cant see any justification to stick with a half ton when its time for a new truck.
    I like my trucks to fit in my garage. The new HDs are all comically oversized.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emphasis mine

If we're talking about "feel" then yes I would agree there is a significantly better feel with the 2500. It does feel more solid, especially in gusty crosswinds when the F-150 would get jiggled around. But I was never in any danger of losing control with the F-150, it was just a minor seat of the pants feeling.

There's a comfort aspect to it. It gives a more solid impression. I'm not arguing that. But in objective braking and handling performance the difference is slight if any.
    My F-150 was outside of its performance envelope, so feel, as it relates to a comfortable, confident towing experience was very important to me.

In terms of the 3.5 EB vs the 7.3, both perform extremely well with no shortage or power and with about the same fuel economy.

I do believe that handling is noticeably better, but that could be attributed to the longer wheelbase. I have only had to apply the brakes firmly once (F-350) while traveling a low speed, so not much to compare there.

My truck is 95% tow vehicle, so that other aspects do not factor in.

I initially bought the F-150 because the RV dealer said 'everyone is using them'.

I don't doubt that properly equipped half tons can handle some 5ers, however my half ton couldn't.

Hope that you enjoy your new truck as much as I do mine.
    2022 F350 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 7.3
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2021 F150 SC SB XLT Sport 3.5 EB Max Tow - Sold
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 260RD - Sold

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    I like my trucks to fit in my garage. The new HDs are all comically oversized.
    My crew long bed 3500 fits in my garage just fine

Honestly though, that is another legit reason. You cant get the really short bed on a HD. The bed on a standard bed HD is 13" longer than the short bed on a 1/2 ton which leads to a 19" longer truck overall. (34" compared a long bed) I always go long bed, wheelbase is king when pulling long heavy trailers but that doesn't apply as much to this discussion.

I think we can all agree that they are all too tall now. But the cab's are virtually identical. The front end looks to be about 6" longer on an HD but I don't think its wasted space for the hell of it. I doubt a 6.6 Duramax with its required cooling would fit under/in a 1/2 ton hood. The 1/2 ton bed sides are actually taller then the hd's according to GM (from the bed floor to the top not overall) Overall height the HD's are 4" taller (5" on on 3500).

https://www.gmc.com/trucks/sierra/15...ecifications/4

https://www.gmc.com/trucks/sierra/25...ecifications/4
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow a Reflection 150 278BH. There is zero difference in braking between this truck and my F-150 with properly adjusted trailer brakes. Not too surprising really, because physics tells us that the trailer brakes stop the trailer (which is why trailer brakes are legally required.) No there’s no exhaust brake, but I don’t really find I need more engine braking power than what I get with a large displacement gas engine.
    Your Chevy doesn't have engine braking in tow mode or you just don't need more engine braking? My '17 6.2l gas F250 has a fairly significant engine brake in tow mode. Not as much as a diesel exhaust brake, but it definitely helps slow everything down so the brakes aren't working as hard.
    bill

TT: 2021 261BH Transcend Xplor
    TV: 2017 F250 FX4 6.2l

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow a Reflection 150 278BH. Previously I towed it with a 2015 F-150 SuperCab. I wanted to get a crew cab so I decided might as well go for the 3/4-ton, since they’re really not much more money. So I bought a 2023 Silverado 2500HD gas. Don’t get me wrong I like the truck. It’s actually more refined and comfortable than the F-150 was. But I’m not blown away with the towing performance like some would claim. Note I’m not talking about power; I know the diesel would have more power. Have owned and driven diesels before.

The truck does feel more stable in crosswinds, sure. It’s quite a bit heavier. But fifth wheels are inherently stable anyway so not much practical difference. As for incredible braking power or other things you read, nope. There is zero difference in braking between this truck and my F-150 with properly adjusted trailer brakes. Not too surprising really, because physics tells us that the trailer brakes stop the trailer (which is why trailer brakes are legally required.) No there’s no exhaust brake, but I don’t really find I need more engine braking power than what I get with a large displacement gas engine.

Power is about the same, as I was expecting. The 6.6 gas has more power and torque than the Ford 5.0 but the truck is heavier so it’s a wash.

So just wanted to add a counterpoint to all the “go with a 2500, F-350, etc. and you’ll never look back” hype you always see on the Internet. That was likely true 15 or 20 years ago. I understand people like to justify their purchases. Maybe they just like driving a bigger truck, but I don’t see the night and day difference between a modern 1/2 ton and a modern HD pickup with my 10,000-lb fifth wheel.

Obviously to tow a big trailer beyond the towing capacity of a 1/2 ton, you need the HD. But for a smaller trailer, it’s not necessarily an upgrade that’s worth some of the downsides when not towing.
    Here's my list:
    Usually a more comfortable ride
    Easier to get into and out of
    Better handling (lower CG)
    Better visibility around the truck
    Smaller and easier to park
    Easier to fit in your garage
    Easier to fit in a parking garage
    Often better incentives (rebates or subvented loans)
    Better fuel economy when empty
    Similar fuel economy when towing (gas vs. gas)

With regard to safety, the 3/4-ton will be safer in a collision just because it's heaver. Can't argue with physics. When empty (which in my case is 95% of the time), it handles worse and doesn't brake any better than the half-ton. The occupants are somewhat safer in a collision, but the flipside is that the heavier truck presents more risk to others on the road. What's the net safety benefit? Hard to say.

I know I'm ****ing into the wind with my opinion on this. Just wanted to offer a different perspective from what we usually see.
    It looks like this list points to a decision toward an F-150 as does a lot of your comments/observations. Just wondering if you regret getting the 3/4 ton?
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast