User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The CP4 was a concern, I added a FASS pump/filtration system and have had zero issues at 75k miles, most of it pulling 7 tons. Just traded down to a Reflection 150, partially to reduce the truck's load over the next decade. I agree diesels are overly complicated but I've done basic maintennce, nothing more except lift pump, and the truck runs flawlessly. Great point, though, but as a repair shop owner most of my life I can't help but point out that all internal combustion engines still on the market are complex, with plenty to go wrong there. Thanks for listening to me.

Gary

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Easycamper View Post
    Emphasis mine

If we're talking about "feel" then yes I would agree there is a significantly better feel with the 2500. It does feel more solid, especially in gusty crosswinds when the F-150 would get jiggled around. But I was never in any danger of losing control with the F-150, it was just a minor seat of the pants feeling.

There's a comfort aspect to it. It gives a more solid impression. I'm not arguing that. But in objective braking and handling performance the difference is slight if any.
    That pretty much sums up the difference. All the heavier components allow for a more comfortable experience while towing or hauling at the upper end of their specs. Isn't being more stable at load the definition of handling performance when discussing towing? The heavier truck with heavier components won't get pushed around as much from the trailer. Gas to Gas I imagine the acceleration is fairly equal. Braking while pulling is probably also close as long as the trailer brakes are working correctly. But put 2k in the bed in both trucks and run a brake test. Then do it multiple time in a row. Then you would probably see a difference in braking performance from the bigger brakes in a HD. They should be able to dissipate more heat then the smaller 1/2 ton brakes and feel more stable doing it.

I guess its really all a matter of perspective and background, Your list is legit, especially the length. You coming from a light duty don't see as much of a difference in normal everyday towing but a bigger difference in every day empty driving. The towing difference is really more at limits or if there is a problem. I've driven HD's all my life being in construction so I'm more comfortable with the HD's, 1/2 tons are not really very functional for me. I don't really notice the everyday drawbacks of driving HD's, I guess you get used to it. I did pull a mid size Hybrid for a while with a 1/2 ton suburban, never really even liked that.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbucklew View Post
    Great point, though, but as a repair shop owner most of my life I can't help but point out that all internal combustion engines still on the market are complex, with plenty to go wrong there. Thanks for listening to me.

Gary
    No doubt. I'm really speaking more on the fuel system and especially emissions side. The assault on diesel emissions has created some finicky emission systems on diesels. Hopefully they will get better in the future if we are allowed to keep them not that much different then the gas engine systems in the 70's & 80's before they figured them out.

Remember when they said the high horsepower engines were dead forever because of emissions. The new 1000+ horsepower challenger says hello
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by txarsoncop View Post
    Your Chevy doesn't have engine braking in tow mode or you just don't need more engine braking? My '17 6.2l gas F250 has a fairly significant engine brake in tow mode. Not as much as a diesel exhaust brake, but it definitely helps slow everything down so the brakes aren't working as hard.
    I don’t need more engine braking than it has. Works great for me, as did the 5.0L.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can’t afford to go from a 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton diesel, stick with the 1/2 ton. Expecting to get better hauling performance just because you went up a frame size without a diesel power plant is a little non sensical in my opinion.

If I’m not mistaken the 2500 Duramax v8 puts out almost twice the amount of torque as the gas variant and while the Duramax only puts out slightly more horsepower, the peak HP is available at much lower RPM.

I’ve had several F150s, a F250 gas burner and a Silverado 2500 Duramax and towed with all of them. It’s a night and day difference between gas and diesel.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaldridge View Post
    If you can’t afford to go from a 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton diesel, stick with the 1/2 ton. Expecting to get better hauling performance just because you went up a frame size without a diesel power plant is a little non sensical in my opinion.
    LOL I didn’t choose the gas because I couldn’t “afford” the diesel. The diesel didn’t fit my use case and I prefer to allocate my resources elsewhere.

Singing the praises of diesel and gas HD pickups is very common. I did notice an improvement, just not as much as some would claim.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL I didn’t choose the gas because I couldn’t “afford” the diesel. The diesel didn’t fit my use case and I prefer to allocate my resources elsewhere.

Singing the praises of diesel and gas HD pickups is very common. I did notice an improvement, just not as much as some would claim.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

About affording the diesel that is.
    2022 F350 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 7.3
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2021 F150 SC SB XLT Sport 3.5 EB Max Tow - Sold
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 260RD - Sold

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess your post confused me because you bought a 2500 gas burner and then went into great detail about how it underwhelmed you because it didn’t perform much better, if at all, than a 1/2 ton. I wasn’t aware anyone purchased a 2500 gas burner looking for a lot better performance than a 1500. I always thought a 2500 gas model was marketed to a 1/2 ton driver who needed more towing capacity and/or payload but couldn’t, or I guess didn’t want to, step up to a diesel.

Based on your criticisms of the 3/4 ton gas burner you were clearly looking for better overall towing performance so for you now to say you didn’t buy a duramax because it didn’t fit your “use case,” really doesn’t make sense. If your “use case” was to get better towing performance, torque, braking, etc. then you should get a diesel.

Otherwise it sounds like the 2500 gas model delivered on what the towing/engine specs would lead a reasonable person to expect.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to a F250 SD Diesel and I love it. If anything it is probably overpowered but pulling my Imagine 2600RB (smaller than yours) is unbelievably easy. I went from a 5.7L Tundra and I felt like I was personally trying to physically pull the trailer. I don't drive the F250 all the time but without the trailer it gets 20mpg. My brother-in-law has the same truck pulling a Solitude and loves it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow a Reflection 150 278BH. Previously I towed it with a 2015 F-150 SuperCab. I wanted to get a crew cab so I decided might as well go for the 3/4-ton, since they’re really not much more money. So I bought a 2023 Silverado 2500HD gas. Don’t get me wrong I like the truck. It’s actually more refined and comfortable than the F-150 was. But I’m not blown away with the towing performance like some would claim. Note I’m not talking about power; I know the diesel would have more power. Have owned and driven diesels before.

The truck does feel more stable in crosswinds, sure. It’s quite a bit heavier. But fifth wheels are inherently stable anyway so not much practical difference. As for incredible braking power or other things you read, nope. There is zero difference in braking between this truck and my F-150 with properly adjusted trailer brakes. Not too surprising really, because physics tells us that the trailer brakes stop the trailer (which is why trailer brakes are legally required.) No there’s no exhaust brake, but I don’t really find I need more engine braking power than what I get with a large displacement gas engine.

Power is about the same, as I was expecting. The 6.6 gas has more power and torque than the Ford 5.0 but the truck is heavier so it’s a wash.

So just wanted to add a counterpoint to all the “go with a 2500, F-350, etc. and you’ll never look back” hype you always see on the Internet. That was likely true 15 or 20 years ago. I understand people like to justify their purchases. Maybe they just like driving a bigger truck, but I don’t see the night and day difference between a modern 1/2 ton and a modern HD pickup with my 10,000-lb fifth wheel.

Obviously to tow a big trailer beyond the towing capacity of a 1/2 ton, you need the HD. But for a smaller trailer, it’s not necessarily an upgrade that’s worth some of the downsides when not towing.

Well like you I went from a half ton to a 3/4 a few years ago, but unlike you I saw a HUGE difference! By the way, your '23 3/4 ton does have and engine brake! Read in youy manual how and when it works. Give it a few tows and I think you will see the engine is MUCH more torque and the gearing will allow you to pull much stronger! OK, now the all the LITTLE things that make towing with 3/4 ton better. Stiffer tires with more capacity, springs with more capacity, brakes that are much larger and will not heat up and wear out as fast, better engine cooler, better transmission cooler, (By the way, at 99,000 miles I had to rebuild my trans on my half ton from towing), not as much sway, or bounce with 3/4 vs 1/2 ton, transmission is also heavier duty, especially now that they have put the Allison in the gas trucks in 2024 models!

I towed well over 100,000 miles with my first 3/4 ton with not a single repair on the truck and had never even had to do a brake job on it! I am towing a trailer, but about the same weight as your fifthwheel, but it tows SO much better than the half ton! I have seen 3/4 ton trucks in my friends shop with over 200,000 miles on them and still do not use any oil, because the 6.0 and 6.6 gas engines are built to take much more abuse than the 1/2 ton engines! I know because I worked at GM for 30 years and have built engines! Trust me, there are many differences that make the 3/4 ton superior for towing!

Oh, and I just traded for a diesel '23 gmc, I am underwhelmed! BUT, I only towed about 100 miles and have not faced a large hill up or down and I can't see much difference in it vs my 2016 gas truck? BUT, I am sure with more towing the difference will show itself when the going gets tough! I am sure the 3/4 ton will show you where it shines when the going gets tough!
    Last edited by PTParker; 04-01-2023 at 07:08 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast