Thread: Schwintek Slide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schwintek Slide

Hello all,
    Considering a new 5th wheel. Had been looking at a 2019 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5RSTS. Reading the forums a lot of people are experiencing problems with the Schwintek slide system used on the Jaycos. So this weekend I get looking on the net for what I would consider a comparable unit. Looking at the 273MK and the 295RL. Limited by payload on my 2018 Ram 2500 diesel. It appears that both of these units use the same slide system as the Jaycos. Wonderful. How many GD owners out there are having grief with the Schwintek and how has the outcome been?
    Thanks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had Schwintek bedroom slides on this rig and the one before it, so for the last 11 years and zero trouble with either. Run them all the way out and all the way in, don't try to leave them half way and then reverse and keep them lubed. YMMV

My $0.01 worth
    George
    George and Connie
    Commerce City, CO
    Webpilot
    Solitude 380FL
    2014 Ram 3500 Dually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webpilot View Post
    I have had Schwintek bedroom slides on this rig and the one before it, so for the last 11 years and zero trouble with either. Run them all the way out and all the way in, don't try to leave them half way and then reverse and keep them lubed. YMMV

My $0.01 worth
    George
    Not as long using mine but ditto on extending and closing completely. Lubing? Every slide system should be properly lubed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schwintek slides work great for lighter slides. As far as I know, Grand Design only uses them for bedroom or bathroom slides. We had them on our Reflection and didn't have any problems with them. We have a Solitude on order and it uses Schwintek for the bedroom and bath slides. I'm not worried a bit about them.

Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSewell View Post
    Hello all,
    Considering a new 5th wheel. Had been looking at a 2019 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5RSTS. Reading the forums a lot of people are experiencing problems with the Schwintek slide system used on the Jaycos. So this weekend I get looking on the net for what I would consider a comparable unit. Looking at the 273MK and the 295RL. Limited by payload on my 2018 Ram 2500 diesel. It appears that both of these units use the same slide system as the Jaycos. Wonderful. How many GD owners out there are having grief with the Schwintek and how has the outcome been?
    Thanks.
    Dave - my neighbor bought a new Jayco 321 RST fiver in 2014 and had considerable problems with the heavy fridge/pantry street slide. Brian shared what we have learned that the heavy larger slides seem to be having more problems (regardless of brand/model) with Schwinteks than the smaller lighter slides. As with most folks our BR slide has been problem free since day one over 5 seasons ago. A number of the problem reports seem to be owner inflicted with the reports of not running the slide out or in fully (w/o stopping) causing the motors to run out of time and twisting of the slide. Low battery voltage condition causes similar problems. Other problems either owner/others inflicted or problems with the Schwintek unit itself are minimal with lighter slides.

After our neighbor had 3 different dealers try to fix his slide he took his Jayco back to the factory and to LCI to repair. The outcome.......he still had the same problems and was really POd ! He traded for a new Pinnacle this spring. It still has a Swhwintek slide on the heavy fridge/pantry slide but is redesigned with rollers so the slide rails/tracks on the slide box can move as I recall. I have not seen this design anywhere else nor has it been communicated on this forum as I suppose GDRV is not using it. He did not have any problems with it this summer.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be ok we have two of the Schwintek “in wall” slides in ours with no issues in 2.5 years. I lube with CRC “Power Lube” PTFE spray and, as others have stated before you have to run all the way in and all the way out holding the button for a couple of seconds after the slide closes as this allows the two motors (one on each side of the slide at the top) to stay synchronized. The Schwintek system is built by Lippert they have some videos relating to maintenance/etc. on their phone app. These “in wall” systems are often used when the slide does not go all the way to the floor where a typical through frame mechanism can be used. With the through frame slides I have had you can run them in and out partially with no issues. I assume, as others have said previously, that the through frame systems can tolerate more weight which is typically why they are used for the slides where the appliances, etc. are located.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My former trailer had the Schwintek system on the kitchen slide. I always ran it all the way out and all the way in and never had an issue in 6 years of ownership.
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab PSD SRW

Former set up:
    2013 Kodiak 291RESL
    2017 Ford F150 Platinum

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies folks. I'm a little shell shocked with grief people are having with the Jaycos. Obviosly a different design or maybe just the weight of the slide(s) factor. I like the fact the GD has a lighter pin weight as well.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2015 29RS with 2 Schwintek slides. The lighter bedroom slide is fine, trouble free. The kitchen slide broke and I had to replace the entire system as the broken pieces were not available separately. Cost was $900 for parts and I did all the work. The replacement unit is showing signs of wear again and will break again. It is just too much weight for the system to handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Huey
    Ky
    2015 29RS
    2008 2500HD Chevrolet Duramax

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scwintech slides (my Momentum has three)...you hold the button three to five seconds after it's out all the way or after it's in all the way to synchronize the two motors (the two sides). Grand Design says not to use silicone sprays....Power Lube is the only lubricant that Grand Design uses and recommends..... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast